NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Feb. 22, 2023, 9:56 a.m.

Went out for a quick ride at my local trail network this weekend and did a bit of leaning with the Rootdown ;-) Winter has been so warm here in PA, conditions are actually pretty nice... creek crossings are way scarier when it's icy!!

creek

wall

Feb. 22, 2023, 10:07 a.m.

That's some nice scenery.  Kind of reminds me of the Nutmeg Country Vermont stuff you see in those whacky Ultradynamico Ron videos.

Feb. 22, 2023, 12:14 p.m.

Nice to see some different graffiti too haha
Beautiful bikes everyone. Looks like the ice is back to limit my leanings to lean right now. I still can't get the stooge cycles out of my mind if I was to get a fully rigid. But then the humble Kona Unit looks like a ton of fun as well

Feb. 22, 2023, 12:18 p.m.

Posted by: PembyRocks

A couple of leaning shots from my ride today. Really enjoying the mullet Stylus with the -2 headset. Been playing around with bar roll and stem height, almost got it dialled. Probably need to switch to a 40mm stem from the 31mm to keep more weight over the front but I’m stoked the way this thing rides

What fork travel are you running on this? I have a Stylus with a -1 geoshift headset and 170mm Zeb...but tempted to try a mullet.  The front end can feel pretty low (IMO) with my current setup on sustained steeps, and was thinking of getting some higher rise bars (currently running 35mm rise Cutlass).  Maybe a mullet would fix that?

Feb. 22, 2023, 4:50 p.m.

Posted by: sverdrup

What fork travel are you running on this? I have a Stylus with a -1 geoshift headset and 170mm Zeb...but tempted to try a mullet.  The front end can feel pretty low (IMO) with my current setup on sustained steeps, and was thinking of getting some higher rise bars (currently running 35mm rise Cutlass).  Maybe a mullet would fix that?

150mm on a Fox 36/Marzocchi Z1/Vorsprung smashpot shitmix fork. Might put it up to 160mm just to see but 150mm feels good, and makes me pay attention a bit more than “cheating” with longer travel! The -2 headset lowered the BB a bit too which was helpful in the mullet configuration. Running a couple of spacers under the stem and a 25mm rise bar

Feb. 22, 2023, 5:05 p.m.

Posted by: pylag

Went out for a quick ride at my local trail network this weekend and did a bit of leaning with the Rootdown ;-) Winter has been so warm here in PA, conditions are actually pretty nice... creek crossings are way scarier when it's icy!!

creek

wall

Wiss! Chromag meetup in Philly?

Feb. 22, 2023, 11:38 p.m.

**Posted by: fartymarty

**FIrst ride / commute today with a tiny bit of off road - The 50mm stem is too long so I either need to change to a shorter stem (which I have) or move the seat forward on the rails. The Clarks cable disc brakes aren't great but I think the pads need to wear in - I have some semi-metallics that I may have to fit. Worst case is to get some Shimano hydraulic levers and go back to hydraulics. I'm liking the multi positions on the drop bars - especially up on the tops and hoods - less keen on the drops tho but that may take some time. Microshift R10 rear mech seems good - ditto levers - cheap and cheerful. 45mm WTB Riddlers (not shown in piccy) are good - super easy to set up tubeless and seem grippy yet fast enough rolling.

Edit - I'll take a leany piccy on the way home.

I really like the Redshift Cruise Control Drop Grips for my drops. I feel like they give me much more control than the wrapped bar, especially off-road. I also have my bars set up super high, so the drops are easily accessible without breaking my back. I didn't install them initially, and felt dissatisfied with the drop position until I installed 'em.

Feb. 23, 2023, 9:45 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

I really like the Redshift Cruise Control Drop Grips for my drops. I feel like they give me much more control than the wrapped bar, especially off-road. I also have my bars set up super high, so the drops are easily accessible without breaking my back. I didn't install them initially, and felt dissatisfied with the drop position until I installed 'em.

That looks like a super fun rig!

Feb. 23, 2023, 11:21 a.m.

A snow lean! I was stoked to get another day of fresh tracks in the books this winter.

The wood features were only semi-deadly today. I didn't slide off so I'll take that. ;-)

Feb. 23, 2023, 1:23 p.m.

We got the cold (so cold!) in Squamish but no snow.  Trails are dry and fast!

Going to have to change those grips...

The night time continues to be the right time.  For me.  And my kids.

Feb. 24, 2023, 1:32 a.m.

Tristan - that's a proper drop bar mtb. Mine is definitely more gravel...

The higher bars make a lot of sense. I commuted yesterday and while it is quick / aero with low bar my back needs to get used to it. Also there's no way I could ride on the drops off road.  Riser drops maybe on the menu.  Thinking aloud - maybe I need to remove the -2 headset to raise the front a bit and theoretically shorten the reach...  or maybe not give the geo is getting close to https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/chamois-hagar

PS - sorry to hijack the thread with "gravel" content - altho it's maybe a little interesting (to me at least) that you an take an older 29er and make a fairly progressive gravel bike out of it.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Feb. 24, 2023, 1:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 24, 2023, 5:52 a.m.

Posted by: trioofchaos

creek

wall

Yes, that's the Wiss! Chromag meetup in Philly sounds great!

I'll send a msg so we can get organized in the coming weeks, although, to be honest, timing my be tricky. I usually just sneak out for a quick ride when both kids are taking naps at the same time, which can be a bit... unpredictable ;-)

For me, the Chromag that's been seeing the most use lately is my "dad-ified" Samurai. It wasn't seeing much use at all since I got the Rootdown, but I really didn't want to sell it, so I repurposed it instead... it's a bit overkill for the bike path, but it works surprisingly well! Dad and the kids love it :-)

samurai

Feb. 24, 2023, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: trioofchaos

creek

wall

Yes, that's the Wiss! Chromag meetup in Philly sounds great!

I'll send a msg so we can get organized in the coming weeks, although, to be honest, timing my be tricky. I usually just sneak out for a quick ride when both kids are taking naps at the same time, which can be a bit... unpredictable ;-)

For me, the Chromag that's been seeing the most use lately is my "dad-ified" Samurai. It wasn't seeing much use at all since I got the Rootdown, but I really didn't want to sell it, so I repurposed it instead... it's a bit overkill for the bike path, but it works surprisingly well! Dad and the kids love it :-)

samurai

Sounds good! That Samurai setup is great - especially the purple!

Feb. 25, 2023, 1:09 p.m.

Spotted on FB,

Feb. 25, 2023, 3:11 p.m.

Giant chair snow lean.

Bench snow lean. Probably last snow lean of this winter. Great riding this season. The Bike Gods have been generous.