NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Feb. 19, 2023, 10:40 p.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I got some Microshift R10 levers cheap on Chain Reaction.  They didn’t sync with the Zee so I suspect the ratio is out.  I've ordered a cheap MS mech which should work.

At the moment the plan is to see what is possible and see if I like drops.  I've also ordered some WTB Riddlers - £12ish each on Wiggle so will try the gravel thing.  Hopefully it will make some of our tamer singletracks a little more fun yet still work as a commuter bike.

I think you will enjoy the drops on singletrack. I grew up riding road and got into MTB only in the last five years, so I've always been comfortable on drops, but they make tame or flowly singletrack more fun since you don't have quite as much control. Sketchy as heck on jumps or drops though.

Feb. 20, 2023, 1:14 a.m.

Yew Lean (apologies for the very crappy spud phone photo).

Back to the Ergotec Bars, 2.3 Vigis - The Anti Theft Device has been removed.  New cromo Koda saddle as well (another bargain at £20 from CRC)

Last edited by: fartymarty on Feb. 20, 2023, 1:19 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2023, 9:39 a.m.

Had a few awesome rides this weekend, really started to feel like Spring there for a minute.  Back to winter and freezing temps, with possible snow, this week again..

Feb. 20, 2023, 2:04 p.m.

Love those pics !

Feb. 20, 2023, 2:47 p.m.

Posted by: TristanC

I got some Microshift R10 levers cheap on Chain Reaction.  They didn’t sync with the Zee so I suspect the ratio is out.  I've ordered a cheap MS mech which should work.

At the moment the plan is to see what is possible and see if I like drops.  I've also ordered some WTB Riddlers - £12ish each on Wiggle so will try the gravel thing.  Hopefully it will make some of our tamer singletracks a little more fun yet still work as a commuter bike.

I think you will enjoy the drops on singletrack. I grew up riding road and got into MTB only in the last five years, so I've always been comfortable on drops, but they make tame or flowly singletrack more fun since you don't have quite as much control. Sketchy as heck on jumps or drops though.

The bike I probably most regret selling is a Trek Marlin 5 that I converted to a monstercross during fall 2020. I unfortunately only got a few rides in on it before catching the 'vid and selling it the next spring, but it was a HOOT. Lots of fond memories of that bike in general, as it was my faithful (if somewhat fragile) steed for most of my MTB firsts. Nowadays, my cyclocross bike sports an absurdly overbuilt wheelset because throwing a turnbar over a little dirt jump on a rigid drop-bar bike is an unbeatable feeling :)

Feb. 21, 2023, 10:29 a.m.

The boys Kinder Bike run bike, leaning on my “new to me for ‘23” Rampage, the two most commonly used hardtails around this house:

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p3pb24253729/p3pb24253729.jpg

Last edited by: tashi on Feb. 21, 2023, 10:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 21, 2023, 12:18 p.m.

Yew Lean (apologies for the very crappy spud phone photo).

Back to the Ergotec Bars, 2.3 Vigis - The Anti Theft Device has been removed.  New cromo Koda saddle as well (another bargain at £20 from CRC)

Very nice!  What front mudguard is that?  I would like something bigger than what I have as this past weekend I ate a lot of mud and shit.  :)

Feb. 21, 2023, 1:09 p.m.

A couple of leaning shots from my ride today. Really enjoying the mullet Stylus with the -2 headset. Been playing around with bar roll and stem height, almost got it dialled. Probably need to switch to a 40mm stem from the 31mm to keep more weight over the front but I’m stoked the way this thing rides

Feb. 21, 2023, 3:12 p.m.

Posted by: michel77

Had a few awesome rides this weekend, really started to feel like Spring there for a minute.  Back to winter and freezing temps, with possible snow, this week again..

I saw previously you ran the OddMone La Roca fork for a bit.  How did you get along with it?  Searching for 500mm+ AtoC rigid forks and that one came up. 

Love the pictures!

Feb. 21, 2023, 6:24 p.m.

Mid-ride lean. Blue skies. Hero dirt. Empty trails. No complaints here.

Feb. 21, 2023, 6:27 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Pylag, I have the same bike but in blue. M/L Fox 34 140mm fork. It's my only mountain bike. Want to put -2 degree wolftooth geoshift on it in addition to internal dropper routing. Semi-modernizing it. Eventually put on a burlier fork I think.

BC_Nuggets, let us know how it turns out!

That’s the frame that got me hooked on « aggressive » hardtails! I’ve since moved on to a more modern one, but all of this is making me feel a bit… nostalgic. 

I’d be curious to hear what the OG Rootdown is like with the angleset!

Feb. 21, 2023, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

I saw previously you ran the OddMone La Roca fork for a bit.  How did you get along with it?  Searching for 500mm+ AtoC rigid forks and that one came up. 

Love the pictures!

It's a great fork, there's definitely some flex and compliance compared to some carbon forks or even straight leg steel forks I've run in the past.  Ultimately, I ended up liking the thought of a rigid fork better than the reality and the full rigid thing got tiring for how I ride so went back to my suspension fork..

Feb. 21, 2023, 8:23 p.m.

It's a great fork, there's definitely some flex and compliance compared to some carbon forks or even straight leg steel forks I've run in the past.  Ultimately, I ended up liking the thought of a rigid fork better than the reality and the full rigid thing got tiring for how I ride so went back to my suspension fork..

Thank you for the feedback! I love the look of it, might be a good option for the super slack rigid singlespeed I want to build.

I was going to go with a Stooge and I really dig the look of the Speedbomb, but the 1 1/8 headset makes me hesitant. I would like to have the versatility of a tapered head tube.

Feb. 22, 2023, 1:37 a.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Very nice! What front mudguard is that? I would like something bigger than what I have as this past weekend I ate a lot of mud and shit. :)

It's an RRP. The long version. It stays on all year as I hate eating dog shit. I usually run a rear Mudhugger but have just taken it off - and surprise surprise it rained on the ride last night.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Feb. 22, 2023, 1:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 22, 2023, 2:46 a.m.

FIrst ride / commute today with a tiny bit of off road - The 50mm stem is too long so I either need to change to a shorter stem (which I have) or move the seat forward on the rails. The Clarks cable disc brakes aren't great but I think the pads need to wear in - I have some semi-metallics that I may have to fit. Worst case is to get some Shimano hydraulic levers and go back to hydraulics. I'm liking the multi positions on the drop bars - especially up on the tops and hoods - less keen on the drops tho but that may take some time. Microshift R10 rear mech seems good - ditto levers - cheap and cheerful. 45mm WTB Riddlers (not shown in piccy) are good - super easy to set up tubeless and seem grippy yet fast enough rolling.

Edit - New piccy added.

Last edited by: fartymarty on Feb. 24, 2023, 1:19 a.m., edited 2 times in total.