NSMB - 2023 - Hardtails Leaning Against Stuff Thread

Jan. 2, 2023, 6:20 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Vik - the only reason I bought up clips is they're easier to climb with.  But I get the #FLATSforLIFE - i'm getting there myself.  I guess part of riding a HT is accepting that it's not as good as a FS bike on some things and being happy with that.

I've tried both for extended periods [more than a decade clipped in] and have not found I climb faster clipped in. Where I've been able to do enough back to back testing on the same machine equipped both ways it's been a draw on performance. 

For my GF she is not the most confident rider so adding clips to steep techy climbs is going to degrade her climbing abilities even if there was some theoretical potential benefit to unlock. Knowing she can step off the bike without a second thought means she'll keep fighting up a gnarly climb. If she had to also unclip she'd just stop early to make that happen. I'm sure the same would be true of myself as I got to the limit of techy climbs I'd try.

We ride with people that use clipless pedals, those that use flats as well as those that go back and forth. Over the years I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to believe the folks I ride with are unlocking anything extra when they use clipless vs. flats. Our relative pace and likelihood to clean tough climbs seems pretty pedal agnostic. If there is a change it's below the noise level of the many factors that influence performance in recreational mountain bikers.

All that said it's just my experience so I'm not going to argue about pedals. If someone thinks clipless is their jam I won't try and convert them to the one true path of flats.

Jan. 2, 2023, 7:10 a.m.

My black M/L Rootdown frame arrived Xmas eve. Thanks Santa! Looking forward to building it. Hope to have it on the trails by late spring. It’s been a minute since my last HT.

Jan. 2, 2023, 7:34 a.m.

Lots of fresh Rootdowns hitting the trails in 2023!

Jan. 2, 2023, 7:35 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

Sweet looking Knolly!

Dropped in on my LBS over the holidays and noticed a Tyaughton was being built up. Always warms my heart to see another meat powered hardtail being born. :-)

Jan. 2, 2023, 4:33 p.m.

I’m really tempted to build a hardtail up with an Effigear mimic. 

The biggest challenge I’m getting my head around is my hardtails have all been singlespeeds so feel super efficient, and lively. The gearbox appeals for simplicity / low maintenance like SS, and the mimic gear spacing and shifter compatibility seems the best option. I’m just worried about the gearbox losses - is it going to end up feeling like I’m dragging a brake?

Jan. 2, 2023, 5:13 p.m.

Another day and another hardtail session in the melting snow. On one hand lots of dirt has been exposed on the other hand lots of snow further up the mountain to melt still. I enjoy the technical challenges of snow and ice so I'm happy no matter what.

Jan. 2, 2023, 5:39 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

I’m really tempted to build a hardtail up with an Effigear mimic. 

The biggest challenge I’m getting my head around is my hardtails have all been singlespeeds so feel super efficient, and lively. The gearbox appeals for simplicity / low maintenance like SS, and the mimic gear spacing and shifter compatibility seems the best option. I’m just worried about the gearbox losses - is it going to end up feeling like I’m dragging a brake?

I've done my share of internal gearing. Hammerschmidt, Shimano IGHs and Rohloff IGHs. After a decade of that I gave them up for SS and derailleurs. Although derailleurs have their issues I am constantly amazed at the horrendous conditions I ride in with a mid-grade derailleur and get trouble-free shifting. The Engineer/bike nerd in me is stoked on the idea of alternate drivetrains like gearboxes, but being practical it's really hard to find fault with the more conventional options I've already got.

If you are up for the cost/hassle of an experiment it could be fun. If you want a sure thing I'd take a pass.

Jan. 2, 2023, 6:09 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: fartymarty

Vik - the only reason I bought up clips is they're easier to climb with.  But I get the #FLATSforLIFE - i'm getting there myself.  I guess part of riding a HT is accepting that it's not as good as a FS bike on some things and being happy with that.

I've tried both for extended periods [more than a decade clipped in] and have not found I climb faster clipped in. Where I've been able to do enough back to back testing on the same machine equipped both ways it's been a draw on performance. 

For my GF she is not the most confident rider so adding clips to steep techy climbs is going to degrade her climbing abilities even if there was some theoretical potential benefit to unlock. Knowing she can step off the bike without a second thought means she'll keep fighting up a gnarly climb. If she had to also unclip she'd just stop early to make that happen. I'm sure the same would be true of myself as I got to the limit of techy climbs I'd try.

We ride with people that use clipless pedals, those that use flats as well as those that go back and forth. Over the years I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to believe the folks I ride with are unlocking anything extra when they use clipless vs. flats. Our relative pace and likelihood to clean tough climbs seems pretty pedal agnostic. If there is a change it's below the noise level of the many factors that influence performance in recreational mountain bikers.

All that said it's just my experience so I'm not going to argue about pedals. If someone thinks clipless is their jam I won't try and convert them to the one true path of flats.

As I said last year to my woman friend when she was debating flats or clip pedals on her gravel bike. all other arguments aside the only question that matters is.....What are you more comfortable on and therefore will make the riding more enjoyable? She answered flat pedals. Convinced her to get a set with a larger size platform and she has had no second thoughts since,

Jan. 2, 2023, 6:23 p.m.

Another day and another hardtail session in the melting snow. On one hand lots of dirt has been exposed on the other hand lots of snow further up the mountain to melt still. I enjoy the technical challenges of snow and ice so I'm happy no matter what.

Wow I figured even the lower trails would be buried. Might have to get there on Sunday.

Jan. 2, 2023, 7 p.m.

Posted by: 4Runner1

Wow I figured even the lower trails would be buried. Might have to get there on Sunday.

Eastern Block is rideable as are the lower trails on the other side [Links/Kitty Litter/Space Nugget/Josh's]. Probably a bunch more. I need to explore further. If you go early when temps are cold snow is easier to ride.

Jan. 2, 2023, 11:26 p.m.

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/21035/

My 2023 mullet SS Whishart project is done just in time for a Sunshine Coast New Years group ride. I brought my SS thinking of the average age of the riders was over 60, and figured a slow leisurely pace. Well this year, out of 15 riders, 10 of them had Ebikes! I did well to hang on, but not without doing my fair share of hammering. 

This 2015 Whishart was Rob’s first 27.5 mtb large frame he built for himself. Painted by Toxic Harold, repurposed and converted to a 140mm travel, 29 mullet with 2.6” front and a 27.5” 2.8 in the back. 30x22 has me spinning the bike up quickly and it likes to hold its cadence. Mishmash of old parts to complete the bike. So far the bike has been a dream to ride, to have fun and is so supple compared to my 22’ Honzo and 19’ Rootdown. Between the Honzo, and this bike, I think my FS will mostly be ignored this year. 

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/21032/

Jan. 3, 2023, 12:04 a.m.

Looks good, Wab.

Jan. 3, 2023, 12:05 a.m.

Every time I see this colour I wish my Moxie wasn't grey. Oh well.

Jan. 3, 2023, 6:19 a.m.

No hardtail for me this year unless I decide to rebuild my v.old (so old it has a QR rear axle) Rootdown but the kids will be on these beauties again unless they have massive growth spurts.

They may get 165mm cranks rather than 155mm square taper units they have now.

They are both pretty happy with them and the lack of rear suspension only really became apparently up in the Tweed Valley for the older one.

Sonder Signal ST 29er for the 14.5 year old., Old-ish Pike RCT, Hope hubs, Stans flow (25mm internal) rims, various tyres tried, Shimano 11speed, short thorn cranks, Brand-X stem,  dropper and grips, SDG saddle, Easton bars.

Nukeproof Scout 29er for the 13 year old.

RS Rev RLT (old 32mm version), Shimano 10sp, short thorn cranks, Brand-X dropper, Kona bar, dmr grips, ragley stem, madison saddle, Shimano wheelset, Maxxis DHF/Agressor set up tubeless.

Jan. 3, 2023, 6:36 a.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

... but the kids will be on these beauties again unless they have massive growth spurts.

Lucky kids! Have a great time on the trails with them in 2023.