NSMB 2023 Full-Suspension Thread

Feb. 28, 2023, 7:36 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: heathen

Still rocking my 2020 Scout for the fun stuff. I still cant get over how fun this bike is. Raised the travel to 160x150

Just put on TRP 2.3mm thick rotors and Cascade brake cam for Code brakes. Noticeable improvements in heat dissipation and lever feel.

For the exercise stuff I have a 2022 Rocky Element. I started mountain biking in 1995 at the peak of XC. I have had a few different XC bikes over the years. I have been without an XC bike for a few years. When I saw the geo of the new Element I knew I wanted one. After apparently not enough research I was confident the C30 was the best choice for me. Man was I wrong. In the course of a year I swapped all the drivetrain. SLX/Deore 12spd punches way above its weight, I am super impressed. The biggest let down wit the spec was the FOX DPS rear shock. What dumpster fire.

That's a big can of post-exercise recovery fluid, you must take your xc seriously!

I take my rehydration seriously.

March 3, 2023, 9 a.m.

If you are within striking distance of Vancouver Island and want an excuse to check out the Cumberland trails I'm organizing a NSMB Meet Up 9-11 June 2023. Full monkey motion welcome!

Details --> https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/ride-planning-and-tales-8/topic/nsmb-cumberland-meet-up-9-11-june-2023-132625/

March 4, 2023, 2:37 p.m.

I decided to do a teardown of the Reign's suspension pivots to see how things are after ~2.5 year and to check the bearing sizes so I can order some spares.

1st observation: this is probably the best aligned full suspension frame I've owned.

Most of the bearings are still spinning fine, no play anywhere, but the ones in the lower shock mount are getting a little rough. They'd probably last a while longer but I think I rather be safe than sorry and replace them now. The lower shock mount shares a pivot with the lower rocker link so there are a lot of moving parts working their forces on that pivot.

Question for those with carbon frames:

I've replaced pivot bearings on all my previous aluminum frames and always used a retaining compound (Loctite 6XX) when seating the new bearings.

Do you use any grease, primer, or retaining compound when pressing bearings into a carbon frame?

Thanks

----

I hadn't been able to find the bearing sizes online so I'm including them here for future Google searchers:

2020 Giant Reign Advanced Pro 29 suspension pivot bearings:

2X 6902
6X 6900
4X 6802

Last edited by: [email protected] on March 4, 2023, 2:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 4, 2023, 10:25 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I hadn't been able to find the bearing sizes online so I'm including them here for future Google searchers:

2X 6902
6X 6900
4X 6802

That's some good SEO. Very community minded of you.

March 5, 2023, 2:33 p.m.

I decided to do a teardown of the Reign's suspension pivots to see how things are after ~2.5 year and to check the bearing sizes so I can order some spares.

1st observation: this is probably the best aligned full suspension frame I've owned.

Most of the bearings are still spinning fine, no play anywhere, but the ones in the lower shock mount are getting a little rough. They'd probably last a while longer but I think I rather be safe than sorry and replace them now. The lower shock mount shares a pivot with the lower rocker link so there are a lot of moving parts working their forces on that pivot.

Question for those with carbon frames:

I've replaced pivot bearings on all my previous aluminum frames and always used a retaining compound (Loctite 6XX) when seating the new bearings.

Do you use any grease, primer, or retaining compound when pressing bearings into a carbon frame?

Thanks

----

2X 6902
6X 6900
4X 6802

Sounds like same bearings as the previous gen. Also only lower shock mount that would wear out on my old carbon Reign, carbon Trance too. Changed that same shock bearing whenever it got crunchy. Changed all the rest once too, it was a total waste as they were all mint. 

Probably obsolete info, but older Reign was:

6802VRS x 4 Bottom of shock/front Maestro link pivot (2 in frame, 2 in Maestro link)

6902VRS x 2 Rear Maestro link/chainstay pivot

608VRS x 2 Top of shock/front of rocker plate pivot

6900VRS x 4 Rocker plate/seat tube pivot and rear rocker plate/seat stay pivot

Seems like info that my brain would retain...can't remember for sure if I put anything on bearings. Think I just used some white grease. Probably same grease (from same tube) I've used for past couple of decades for bearing changes. I know that's what I also used on aluminum frames anyways.

Wasn't it debunked that bicycle grease can hurt carbon frames?

March 5, 2023, 4:45 p.m.

It turned out the bearing was seated in a metal insert moulded into the carbon, at least the one at the shock mount.

Local shop had 6802 Enduro Max in stock, replaced the 2 at the driveside lower shock mount pivot. Used Loctite 641 retainer as before with aluminum frames. Everything smooth as butter again.

Just finished building it back up. Routing the shifter cable through the chainstay was a PITA again but I managed.

March 5, 2023, 7:18 p.m.

Giant needs to do something about that. 15 seconds to route through downtube, 15 minutes of cussing for chainstays.

March 5, 2023, 7:54 p.m.

The trick is to cut the old housing and leave the rear part in the chainstay, then use it as a guide for the new one. But I wasn't thinking and pulled the old cable and housing out when I removed the rear triangle... 😤

March 5, 2023, 8:06 p.m.

Yup. I actually do it like that, thus 15 minutes and not 45 minutes haha. Giant rear ends are a proper labyrinth. David Bowie would be proud.

March 6, 2023, 12:04 p.m.

Interestingly, the 2 bearings that were rough are actually kinda smooth now that they have been removed. Apparently the fit was too tight and they were getting squeezed a bit in the frame.

The new Enduro Max bearings I pressed in do run smooth in the frame so I guess the original bearings' outer diameters are slightly out of spec (too big).

Last edited by: [email protected] on March 7, 2023, 12:53 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 6, 2023, 12:41 p.m.

switched out the whole suspension, never got the fox stuff working to my liking. now on EXT and a Selva C, also switched to contis, super soft DH front, enduro soft rear /w insert. photo is on the 2nd peak i did yesterday in pre spring conditions near Lugano, TI.

March 6, 2023, 1:46 p.m.

2X 6902
6X 6900
4X 6802

Thanks for that, I couldn't find the sizes anywhere online and ended up pulling all the pivots apart to find sizes.

March 7, 2023, 12:55 a.m.

My Starling Murmur currently.

March 7, 2023, 12:56 a.m.

Previous build.

March 7, 2023, 2:49 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Previous build.

Please organise your shelves they are giving me anxiety... ;-)