NSMB 2023 Full-Suspension Thread

Jan. 2, 2023, 11:44 p.m.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Here is my new build - all with used parts (some are bought second hand, but unused before)…

Today I‘ll take it for a first test ride in the forest.

Why a new bike? I could not be happier with my Madonna in it‘s 4th season. I always wondered if weight made a difference or not, though.

I came across this used but like new Tarvo frame (with full warranty) and figured, I‘d give it a go.

If there‘s not a marked difference in ride feel, I‘ll stay with my trusted alloy frame. :-)

Same parts apart from the fork (Lyrik versus 2023 36 170mm). 

Tarvo frame WITH fork weighs a little less than the naked Madonna frame, so roughly 2kg weight difference. Mostly static weight though. 

Wheels and components are pretty light, but durabiltity is my main focus.

Last edited by: Znarf on Jan. 2, 2023, 11:46 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 3, 2023, 5:23 a.m.

No plans to move on from the Banshee Prime this year, unless one of my sons gets big enough to ride it and I see a good deal on something.

I'll likely get round to change the rear shock to a coil at some point, looking at Cane Creek DBIL Coil, Kitsuma Coil, Bomber Coil CR or Fox DHX/DHX2, pretty sure I said that last year and just didn't get to it.  Apart from that it'll just be wear parts and stuff I break that gets swapped out.

Jan. 3, 2023, 10:45 a.m.

I will add my Prime V3.2 here too!

Banshee Prime v3.2

I would love to try a coil shock on it this year and new wheels are in my future...my 8 Y/O Light Bicycle Carbon Rims are still doing well...but really starting to show their age, I think 5 years on my Rootdown was enough for them...lol. This is such a fun bike, up and down....it's really blown my mind, love this bike!

Last edited by: pedalhound on Jan. 4, 2023, 9:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2023, 12:03 p.m.

Built this Aether 9 up in the last month, mostly with parts from my Cotic. It's my first full suspension bike since 2010, and it's awesome.

Jan. 3, 2023, 12:35 p.m.

Keeping the Banshee train rolling. Here's my Banshee Rune V3, entering into my third year with this frame. Keeping it the same for now, though strongly considering going up to a 29er and snagging a new Banshee Titan V3.2 frame. We'll see how the pocketbook goes through 2023!

Banshee Rune V3

Jan. 3, 2023, 1:46 p.m.

Posted by: SlowAnimalsWin

Built this Aether 9 up in the last month, mostly with parts from my Cotic. It's my first full suspension bike since 2010, and it's awesome.

Sweeet. If I get the new bike itch (hopefully I'll resist this yea,I suspect I will, see below) that is on my short list. 

Here's my Revel rascal in it's latest configuration. 

I love this bike. Very much. 

Slack-r angle set for 64.5 head angle. 

Dvo diamond at 140mm up front. 

Dvo jade x, 130mm rear. 

IMO Revel needs to sell this bike. It stomps my previous ripmo af literally everywhere, up and down, and it was a pretty versatile bike for what it was. 

The travel and linkage make it very fun and nimble, but the head angle and coil make it quite stable at the same time.

Jan. 3, 2023, 1:54 p.m.

Not wanting to pass up on this Banshee Bikes circle jerk, here's my Prime with coil shocks front and rear. My plan is to lower the fork to 150 this year.

Banshee Prime

Jan. 4, 2023, 4:28 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Not wanting to pass up on this Banshee Bikes circle jerk, here's my Prime with coil shocks front and rear. My plan is to lower the fork to 150 this year.

Banshee Prime

How are you getting on with the Cane Creek shock?

Jan. 4, 2023, 6:02 a.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

No plans to move on from the Banshee Prime this year, unless one of my sons gets big enough to ride it and I see a good deal on something.

I'll likely get round to change the rear shock to a coil at some point, looking at Cane Creek DBIL Coil, Kitsuma Coil, Bomber Coil CR or Fox DHX/DHX2, pretty sure I said that last year and just didn't get to it.  Apart from that it'll just be wear parts and stuff I break that gets swapped out.

Cane Creek has the DBIL coil and air on sale for 40% off right now - final sale though.

https://canecreek.com/product/dbcoil-il/

Jan. 4, 2023, 9:08 a.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Banshee Prime

How are you getting on with the Cane Creek shock?

Loving it. Have the Kitsuma shock on my banshee Titan as well. Liked it so much there that I picked one up for the Prime.

Jan. 4, 2023, 9:13 a.m.

Oh....this is not helping...haha...(goes to the CC website...)...

Jan. 4, 2023, 9:23 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Cane Creek has the DBIL coil and air on sale for 40% off right now - final sale though.

Annoyingly (for many reasons) based in the UK.  Does suggest something new is coming from CC.

Jan. 4, 2023, 10:47 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Annoyingly (for many reasons) based in the UK.  Does suggest something new is coming from CC.

While something new is likely in the works, the changes are likely incremental. The Kitsuma was an improvement on the CCDB, which moved the controls outboard, not a revolutionary redesign.

Jan. 4, 2023, 11:07 a.m.

Nice selection of Banshees on display here. I've had my 2022 Patrol for about 18 months now and am still loving it with no plans to change. Last year after two Fox Float X2 failures I bought a 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil which was a big improvement in ride quality (and reliability, so far). The HBO on the shock is great for a heavier guy like myself. The only downside is the weight, which reminds me I need to weigh it with the coil shock as it has to be pushing 38-40lbs now with pedals on. I've said I'll treat myself to a WeAreOne wheelset upgrade if I can destroy the stock DT Swiss EX1700/350's but so far the are holding up amazingly well, even after several days of dustbowl Sun Peaks thrashing last fall.

Changes from stock XT/Fox build: 2023 RS Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil (550lbs spring), Maxxis Assegai MaxxGrip DD 2.5 + DHRII MaxxTerra DD 2.4, Renthal Fat Bar Carbon 35, DMR Deathgrips, Fabric Scoop saddle, Time Speciale 12 pedals, OneUp EDC in steer tube, Topeak Racerocket MT pump on Specialized Zee cage, Wolftooth B-Rad cage with Pirelli P-zero Smarttube + levers + co2.

Jan. 4, 2023, 11:39 a.m.

Awesome collection of bikes in here so far but that's not really a surprise :)

Struggling a lot with riding lately, probably sub 10 rides on these total last year.

Maybe this year will be better?

neat2

neat

Last edited by: thaaad on Jan. 4, 2023, 11:40 a.m., edited 1 time in total.