NSMB 2023 Full-Suspension Thread

Feb. 12, 2023, 10:28 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

The last time I was exploring around Forbidden was 2015 I think, and I believe there was a lot of logging slated for that area over the following years. What's that area like these days, with regards to the trail system and riding style?

Yes the area has been logged and some trails lost, others have been rebuilt through the clear cuts or rerouted. Still lots of wooden areas left though. Trailforks isn't up to date so we lost our trail in a clear cut and only found the exit further down, we missed a turn into the rebuilt line somewhere.

Trails are a mix of faster singletrack and 'find your line' rock features of all sizes. I've only been there twice since I moved here last summer so lots more exploring to do.

Feb. 12, 2023, 11:50 p.m.

Out today catching some dry dirt and non-slippery roots before cyclone Gabrielle swipes us tonight.

Sad to lose the orange spring, but happy with the progressive one that replaced it. 25lb lighter then ramping up to 100lb firmer at the end. 

Feb. 13, 2023, 10:16 a.m.

I love the look of that Marin. Is see an opportunity for more colour contrast in the water bottle!

Feb. 13, 2023, 12:42 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I love the look of that Marin. Is see an opportunity for more colour contrast in the water bottle!

Cheers! That bottle has a slow leak, so something will replace it.

Feb. 13, 2023, 4:23 p.m.

I did some exploring at a local shuttle spot today and found something new to lean to bike against. I recognized the drop-with-a-view from some video I saw on youtube. The ride-around was pretty sweet! ;-)

Feb. 14, 2023, 6:29 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Out today catching some dry dirt and non-slippery roots before cyclone Gabrielle swipes us tonight.

Saw some of the damage in the news, hope you are OK!

Feb. 14, 2023, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Saw some of the damage in the news, hope you are OK!

Just wet here, Wellington is far enough south to have just got the tail, some places in the North have really caught it.

Feb. 23, 2023, 9:52 a.m.

Still rocking (and mostly loving) the Meta TR. It hasn't broken yet, apparently people break these frames (?), and I put a coil on for winter. Currently set at 160mm front, it still punches pretty high above the "trail" category I think and it has helped me ride stuff I'd shy away from and overall increased my confidence and improved my riding.  Also decided to try the 16 degree backsweep SQLab bars that I used to run on my hardtail.  I'm a fan so far, it has more rise than my previous 12 degree backsweep bars as well which feels more comfortable and doesn't seem to hold me back on descents.

Second pic was kind of accidental, but I like how it turned out and it was a nice sunset so figured I'd include it :)

Last edited by: michel77 on Feb. 23, 2023, 9:54 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 23, 2023, 11:34 a.m.

^ i haven't heard any breakage issues with the current TR (previous design, yes). any substantiated stories?

i've over 2yrs on mine. generally a solid experience; a reliable & versatile workhorse. swapped the x2 shock for a float x after 4 warranty cycles. going to try a long shock coil experiment shortly - i run a mullet (with wrp link), but the extra length of an imperial 8.5x2.5 shock paired with the stock clevis looks to preserve stock geo (with a mullet) near perfectly - whilst bumping travel to about 160mm. leverage curve of the TR is a bit flatter than i'd like for a coil, but will give it a go for giggles.

Feb. 23, 2023, 1:32 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

^ i haven't heard any breakage issues with the current TR (previous design, yes). any substantiated stories?

i've over 2yrs on mine. generally a solid experience; a reliable & versatile workhorse. swapped the x2 shock for a float x after 4 warranty cycles. going to try a long shock coil experiment shortly - i run a mullet (with wrp link), but the extra length of an imperial 8.5x2.5 shock paired with the stock clevis looks to preserve stock geo (with a mullet) near perfectly - whilst bumping travel to about 160mm. leverage curve of the TR is a bit flatter than i'd like for a coil, but will give it a go for giggles.

Hey Perry, you should post more bike leaning pics here ;)

Hmm, I know of a snapped SX frame (same as the TR if I'm not mistaken): https://www.reddit.com/r/commencal/comments/vwa0wo/i_snapped_my_meta_sx/

There's some talk on the PB Meta-thread about cracked AM frames at the BB area. No pics though so not sure if that counts as substantiated.

Feb. 25, 2023, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Small issue with mine…

Currently going on 6 weeks and I haven’t gotten a proper ‘warranty accepted / declined’ response from pivot. It’s been really terrible service, to the point where I’m tempted to sell the replacement right away and use a different frame.

I had assumed pivot would have good service. Doh.

Feb. 27, 2023, 9:12 a.m.

Small issue with mine…

Currently going on 6 weeks and I haven’t gotten a proper ‘warranty accepted / declined’ response from pivot. It’s been really terrible service, to the point where I’m tempted to sell the replacement right away and use a different frame.

I had assumed pivot would have good service. Doh.

That sucks to hear, way back in 2001 I had quite the warranty issue with Specialized and to this day refuse to buy their bikes because it was so shitty. Good luck!

Feb. 27, 2023, 7:57 p.m.

Still rocking my 2020 Scout for the fun stuff. I still cant get over how fun this bike is. Raised the travel to 160x150

Just put on TRP 2.3mm thick rotors and Cascade brake cam for Code brakes. Noticeable improvements in heat dissipation and lever feel.

For the exercise stuff I have a 2022 Rocky Element. I started mountain biking in 1995 at the peak of XC. I have had a few different XC bikes over the years. I have been without an XC bike for a few years. When I saw the geo of the new Element I knew I wanted one. After apparently not enough research I was confident the C30 was the best choice for me. Man was I wrong. In the course of a year I swapped all the drivetrain. SLX/Deore 12spd punches way above its weight, I am super impressed. The biggest let down wit the spec was the FOX DPS rear shock. What dumpster fire.

Last edited by: heathen on Feb. 27, 2023, 9:08 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 28, 2023, 12:10 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

Still rocking my 2020 Scout for the fun stuff. I still cant get over how fun this bike is. Raised the travel to 160x150

Just put on TRP 2.3mm thick rotors and Cascade brake cam for Code brakes. Noticeable improvements in heat dissipation and lever feel.

For the exercise stuff I have a 2022 Rocky Element. I started mountain biking in 1995 at the peak of XC. I have had a few different XC bikes over the years. I have been without an XC bike for a few years. When I saw the geo of the new Element I knew I wanted one. After apparently not enough research I was confident the C30 was the best choice for me. Man was I wrong. In the course of a year I swapped all the drivetrain. SLX/Deore 12spd punches way above its weight, I am super impressed. The biggest let down wit the spec was the FOX DPS rear shock. What dumpster fire.

That's a big can of post-exercise recovery fluid, you must take your xc seriously!

Feb. 28, 2023, 5:27 a.m.

Two bottle cages are great! I make do with an additional flexible bottle in my hip bag or in the storage compartment of my bike, but two bottle cages are much better =)

Cool bikes btw!

Last edited by: Znarf on Feb. 28, 2023, 5:27 a.m., edited 1 time in total.