NSMB 2023 Full-Suspension Thread

Oct. 10, 2023, 6:56 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

We need a detail photo of the bottle holder situation. It looks like a Fidlock thingy with a wedge underneath to raise it on one end??

Great looking bike, enjoy!

Oct. 10, 2023, 3:39 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

We need a detail photo of the bottle holder situation. It looks like a Fidlock thingy with a wedge underneath to raise it on one end??

Great looking bike, enjoy!

Exactly so. A previous owner seems to have put a rivnut where the upper bolt is. I'm not stoked about this, but don't think it'll be a frame killer. 

Only fits a 450ml Fidlock, so super quick rides, or electrolytes when carrying more water.

Oct. 10, 2023, 4:07 p.m.

Sold my Fluid so the search for a new bike is about to be on again. Glad to see more pics of more bikes in here :)

Oct. 10, 2023, 5:20 p.m.

Only fits a 450ml Fidlock, so super quick rides, or electrolytes when carrying more water.

Yeah that's pretty small.

Chris Porter says instead of frame designers designing frames that fit classic round water bottles, water bottle companies should design triangle shaped bottles to fit mtb front triangles. But looking at the photo I can't see how it would fit much more than your 450 ml while still being easy to grab and put back.

Oct. 10, 2023, 8:13 p.m.

Chris Porter says instead of frame designers designing frames that fit classic round water bottles, water bottle companies should design triangle shaped bottles to fit mtb front triangles. But looking at the photo I can't see how it would fit much more than your 450 ml while still being easy to grab and put back.

I sympathise with not wanting to compromise a suspension design for a bottle, but think of the SKUs if every frame layout had to have a unique bottle & attachment system.

Oct. 10, 2023, 8:58 p.m.

The YT Thirtsmaster from the old Capra fits under the shock on the G1. G1/G16 can fit a Fidlock 450mL in front of the shock on the XL and up.

Oct. 11, 2023, 2:18 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Sold my Fluid so the search for a new bike is about to be on again. Glad to see more pics of more bikes in here :)

Did you own a Sight or was it only a Range? I'm in the same boat and there are some killer deals with excellent parts spec on 2022 sights right now, so I'm really wondering how it rides.

Because it's very hard to not pick a good bike right now (parts snobbery not included here) - it it all comes down to the ride characteristics which are very personal, like saddles or brakes etc etc
I rented an Altitude A50 last week and it was a light, neutrally balanced bike which climbed very well - lots of traction with a good upright position. Boy oh boy did it speed up when you took the brakes off as well and responded really well to line changes in corners, like if you shift your hips tighter on a berm it just tracked it through without a problem. But expensive for such a meh parts spec - that's where I think the A30 makes a good argument unless the A70 coil was in contention. However I found it felt "too light" for me and didn't instill confidence when picking poor lines through chunky sections. i.e. my usual poor riding techniques. Which could be the suspension of course, but I also think it's the very properties that make it an excellent bike for a lot of people, did not set my heart alight. So off I go to try and rent some more bikes.

Oct. 12, 2023, 11:26 a.m.

I had a 2021 27.5 Sight and it was great. 

Of all the FS bikes I've owned in the past decade or so I would probably put that one at the top of the list for the riding I like to do. Would buy again if my desire to try new things wasn't so high. It just immediately felt "like a bike" when I jumped on it and that comfort just never went away,  the bike always felt really natural and comfortable on anything I put it through. 

I don't hit big jumps, I'm not much of a fit climber anymore, and my technical skills have really fallen off the past few years due to lack of riding so take my experience with a grain of salt lol

I really like the Range it's just a lot of bike to pedal and I don't have the legs  I used to. Love it coming down though but never really rode it after getting the Fluid since the fluid just pedaled better.

I've been eyeing up the Highlander 2 for a while, or the new Druid. Big bucks though. Don't want to go any bigger than 160 if I'm on a 29er again, bikes just get too big.

Oct. 12, 2023, 2:08 p.m.

It just immediately felt "like a bike" when I jumped on it and that comfort just never went away,  the bike always felt really natural and comfortable on anything I put it through. 

This is exactly how I felt climbing aboard my new (to me) bike above. I'm hoping the feeling sticks around a long time.

Oct. 12, 2023, 3:46 p.m.

I had a 2021 27.5 Sight and it was great. 

Of all the FS bikes I've owned in the past decade or so I would probably put that one at the top of the list for the riding I like to do. Would buy again if my desire to try new things wasn't so high. It just immediately felt "like a bike" when I jumped on it and that comfort just never went away,  the bike always felt really natural and comfortable on anything I put it through. 

I don't hit big jumps, I'm not much of a fit climber anymore, and my technical skills have really fallen off the past few years due to lack of riding so take my experience with a grain of salt lol

I really like the Range it's just a lot of bike to pedal and I don't have the legs  I used to. Love it coming down though but never really rode it after getting the Fluid since the fluid just pedaled better.

I've been eyeing up the Highlander 2 for a while, or the new Druid. Big bucks though. Don't want to go any bigger than 160 if I'm on a 29er again, bikes just get too big.

Highlanders (and Claymores) are going out the door at imbybikes for something silly like almost half price.
 Yeah, the Range. Wow. That bike does 20mph standing still, it looks so poised for trouble.
If I wasn't so concerned about customer service/warranties I'd be looking at the Aluminium Propain Tyee Mullet (or the Spindrift)  that comes in it's base build with Formula everything and delivered to my door for a pretty reasonable sum.

Oct. 14, 2023, 1:22 p.m.

Just dropped by a local shop to jump on some bikes...

Unfortunately all of them were set up pretty poorly IMO so it was impossible to really tell how the bikes ride.

Last edited by: thaaad on Oct. 15, 2023, 10:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 14, 2023, 5:03 p.m.

Fall high country full sus lean. Getting at it before the snow covers the trails.

Oct. 19, 2023, 1:09 p.m.

Just a heads up that We Are One is blowing out their remaining SP3 build Arrivals for $7599. Mx or 29, GX Axs etc etc

Oct. 20, 2023, 7:37 a.m.

Some more German metal.

This is my same crossworx Dash 29 that was yellow. I sent the shock in for service and fork in for warranty (the Ohlins is a loaner) and while I was waiting I stripped it down. Totally changed the look, for the better IMO. 

Oct. 20, 2023, 7:49 a.m.

Wow, yeah that looks awesome Kenny. Always love the raw aluminum look.