NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Dec. 6, 2022, 10:48 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Time to hit up Bonestorm...noticed no one has gone down it yet!

I'm on it! :-)

Dec. 10, 2022, 12:07 p.m.

Finally rejoining the Hartail Party.

I'm a little nervous, it's been a while, my last hardtail had little wheels. Although I did spend my formative years riding the Shore on a hardtail, so I am 

not a complete rookie.

Dec. 10, 2022, 1:12 p.m.

Nice! Hope you enjoy your new Knolly. I have one too and it's such a fun, capable bike.

Last edited by: skooks on Dec. 10, 2022, 1:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 10, 2022, 3:31 p.m.

Good looking hardtail there!!

Dec. 10, 2022, 4:05 p.m.

Posted by: TonyJ

I'm a little nervous, it's been a while, my last hardtail had little wheels. Although I did spend my formative years riding the Shore on a hardtail, so I am 

not a complete rookie.

Have fun. These modern geo hardtails are pretty easy to ride. The geo is much more important than the lack of rear suspension.

Dec. 10, 2022, 4:58 p.m.

Got my first ride in on it, a couple of hours of gravel and NS XC. The bike is great, it doesn't feel big at all, but I do need to get my ass off the saddle on the rough rooty stuff, some lazy suspension habits, my knees are the suspension now.

Dec. 10, 2022, 11:15 p.m.

not a complete rookie.

Looks good, and not like something to inspire nerves.

Dec. 11, 2022, 1:18 a.m.

You are correct, the nerves are really unfounded. I am still overly cautious since I got my bionic knee, but I am overcoming perceived limitations (old habits) every day.

Dec. 11, 2022, 5:27 p.m.

Got my first ride in on it, a couple of hours of gravel and NS XC. The bike is great, it doesn't feel big at all, but I do need to get my ass off the saddle on the rough rooty stuff, some lazy suspension habits, my knees are the suspension now.

Yeah I had to quickly learn to use my ankles and knees more too. It didn't take long to figure out how to ride the hardtail. It doesn't beat me up too badly, although riding it down Ned's was pretty uncomfortable.

Dec. 13, 2022, 10:33 a.m.

Hmm decisions and overthinking.🤣

Opportunity has presented itself to replace the cracked frame. Do it is either Wideangle or Rootdown. Have the Stylus so going Wideangle would be kinda repeating wheel size. Hmm.

Dec. 13, 2022, 9:30 p.m.

Squeaking in just in time for the year to end, I finally got the new hardtail built up for my wife last month. She has one ride on it so far and I took it out for a spin as well, but we need to get her more/better gear for winter riding.

Rolling chassis

Built!!

I need to get some more comparison testing in switching out with my wheels etc. but so far I'm super impressed with the work Rafi Richardson is putting out. The super low BB got my pedals hitting things in my one test ride but I'm sure I'd adjust. And it tips into corners very easily. The tall stack makes it very comfortable, good body position on the downs, and I haven't noticed an issue with front wheel grip. Power transfer feels very direct and spritely compared to my Stanton.

I'm stoked, my wife is stoked, and though I'm biased having put down my own $ and have limited experience as a bike reviewer I think Rå is cooking up some great stuff.

Dec. 14, 2022, 6:13 a.m.

Posted by: eriksg

I'm stoked, my wife is stoked, and though I'm biased having put down my own $ and have limited experience as a bike reviewer I think Rå is cooking up some great stuff.

Nice. Looks like a great ride for your lady. :-)

Dec. 14, 2022, 6:55 p.m.

Hardtail exploring in Cumby. There's some fun riding in the trees despite snowy winter conditions in the open areas.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 14, 2022, 6:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 15, 2022, 8:27 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Hardtail exploring in Cumby. There's some fun riding in the trees despite snowy winter conditions in the open areas.

The trail connection you get in your winter riding looks incredible! I’ve been riding packed snow for a month and it’s more like a moving average of the summer trail. The turns and climbs are in the same places, but the roots have been erased. Some days traction is solid and it’s faster than hero dirt, others it’s meltdown or ice and it’s a lot of pushing.

Last edited by: Blofeld on Dec. 16, 2022, 2:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Medium photo looked terrible on desktop.
Dec. 16, 2022, 6:43 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

The trail connection you get in your winter riding looks incredible! I’ve been riding packed snow for a month and it’s more like a moving average of the summer trail. The turns and climbs are in the same places, but the roots have been erased. Some days traction is solid and it’s faster than hero dirt, others it’s meltdown or ice and it’s a lot of pushing.

The thing I love about snow riding is the same trail is different [pretty much] every time I ride it. As you note some stuff is easier [roots/rocks] and some stuff is harder deeper or slushy snow. We've got more snow and colder temperatures in the forecast. Should be fun to see what that does to the trails. I wouldn't want to deal with it for 6 months at a time, but a month or two is a nice change of pace.

Remind me where you are located?