NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Nov. 29, 2022, 10:49 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Hubba and congrats. Can I ask what size you went for and how tall you are? The stack is throwing me a bit off of what I know.

I also just got one, I am 188cm with a high ape index riding a 20". I'm running it with drop bars and a 30mm stem, but if I went to flat bars I'd probably do an 80mm stem because I have ridiculously long arms.

Nov. 30, 2022, 1:29 p.m.

Sad news about Stanton.  But more sad news from the UK, The Bicycle Academy has shut its doors.  Not many places (if any) in the UK to go and learn frame building now.  Quite a few (of my more affluent) friends have learned to build bikes there.  I would have loved to build my own hardtail if finances had ever allowed. 

BTR also closed earlier this year.

Nov. 30, 2022, 2:01 p.m.

Posted by: Zero-cool

BTR looks to be open for business based on their Insta account and website.

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 30, 2022, 2:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2022, 1:07 a.m.

Posted by: Zero-cool

That’s not correct I don’t believe. I know Burf was making the last Pinner due to some components for it being too expensive to get made again, maybe you misinterpreted that?

TBC is super sad, was on my bucket list.

Dec. 1, 2022, 1:08 a.m.

That’s good to know, not that I could ever afford one of their bikes, although if I did have that much money I’d be popping to Curtis. 

I remember Burf posting saying that he couldn’t afford to continue doing BTR and was only making a few more frames before hanging up his tools. 

This looked fun though. 

Dec. 2, 2022, 5:54 a.m.

Back home after a couple weeks away stranded in Mega City 1 with no bike. Woke up before the sun. Saw fresh snow outside the window so I grabbed the double hardtail and got out for a spin. Nothing epic, but great to be rolling again. :-)

Dec. 3, 2022, 8:26 a.m.

If I had a mountain bike super power it would be the ability to get up and out the door earlier than almost anyone else. With snow falling all night I wanted fresh tracks. Sun rise is late these days so I charged up some lights and headed out. Just riding the road to the trails was uber techy with ice and zero traction slush to deal with. The bike lanes are non-existent at the moment, but traffic was pretty much the same so I rode in the car lane most of the way.

The trails were running well with a few inches of fresh snow, but plenty of traction on both ends of the bike. Since this was a last minute decision my batteries were only partially charged, but that was okay the sun coming up as I got towards the later part of my ride and the snow reflecting so many lumens that my lights on low were fine to ride by. Time for breakfast!

Dec. 3, 2022, 3:40 p.m.

So rad. While the rest of the world is huddled up inside  Those pics capture the mood.

-------

Cheers @TristanC, @burnskiez

Dec. 3, 2022, 3:48 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Back home after a couple weeks away stranded in Mega City 1 with no bike. Woke up before the sun. Saw fresh snow outside the window so I grabbed the double hardtail and got out for a spin. Nothing epic, but great to be rolling again. :-)

Apparently, it only snows in the center of the universe.

Dec. 4, 2022, 11:46 a.m.

My GF agreed to come and play in the snow if we could wait until the sun was up.

Seemed like a reasonable compromise. The fresh snow was packed down for faster riding.

Dec. 4, 2022, 12:45 p.m.

Nice pics, good to see you got out Vik. We've been walking, not riding, in the snow every day and this morning was the best so far with blue sky and the snow nicely packed.

Dec. 4, 2022, 6:42 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

We've been walking, not riding, in the snow every day and this morning was the best so far with blue sky and the snow nicely packed.

Right on. Looks like the snow will be gone by the end of the week. It's been a nice change of pace.

Dec. 5, 2022, 4:47 p.m.

Great photos. This thread reminds me of how sketchy it is to ride to the trails on snow-covered roads.

Dec. 6, 2022, 7:18 a.m.

Posted by: 21GearSalute

This thread reminds me of how sketchy it is to ride to the trails on snow-covered roads.

Yes. The snow removal here is roads first....then eventually shoulders/bike lanes and finally sidewalks. So riding to the trails means either riding on the road or in snow on the side of the road. It's not ideal. That said the route to the trails isn't super busy and drivers are reasonable so if I take the lane they don't go nuts and when there is room to pass they do so safely by going in the opposite travel lane. On the really bad snow storm type days I think the drivers kind of respect the fact I'm out there riding a bicycle so when conditions are at their worst I get due consideration. That said I'm riding past a cattle farm 5mins from my door so it's not like I have to deal with big city traffic/drivers. 

Photo is from yesterday's ride in Cumberland. That's spicy descent on a steep trail. With a solid amount of snow cover in the open it was a hilarious slide down with my rear wheel locked skiing the bike. I definitely got first tracks!

Dec. 6, 2022, 9:57 a.m.

Time to hit up Bonestorm...noticed no one has gone down it yet!