NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Nov. 18, 2022, 1:06 a.m.

The lack of snow means the riding season is still going strong, as is the Egerie!

Nov. 18, 2022, 5:46 a.m.

Posted by: olaa

The lack of snow means the riding season is still going strong, as is the Egerie!

The bike looks great. We have had some snow here, but nothing that would stop us riding and a lot of trails are clear dirt. After being kept off the bike a couple months at the end of the summer I'm glad we got some nice riding lately.

Nov. 18, 2022, 10:05 a.m.

Very cool bike. Love the straight seat tube and the dropper routing!

Nov. 18, 2022, 12:14 p.m.

Thanks! Yeah, really like the clean lines and the ride quality. The builder did a really good job at choosing tubing and tuning the flex.

Nov. 20, 2022, 11:21 a.m.

First easy snow ride of this winter.

And of course Friday get suggested to look for possible options to replace the cracked Wideangle this winter when frame stocks are low to no existent in my size. LOL

Last edited by: Endurimil on Nov. 20, 2022, 12:12 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 20, 2022, 2:57 p.m.

Ok....think this was discussed earlier but can't recall. But it is possible to run a 12x142 rear hub in a 12x148 frame without adaptors? Was curious as spotted that being hinted in the Marino Cabala specs.  

https://www.marinobike.com/product/marino-cabala-2021-hardtail-enduro/

Nov. 20, 2022, 7:58 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

But it is possible to run a 12x142 rear hub in a 12x148 frame without adaptors?

It sounds like Marino is doing the same kind of thing that Surly did with the Gnot Boost / 145mm spacing. The spacing on both hub sizes is the same from end-to-rotor and other-end-to-cassette so it’s fine to squeeze it in a bit. The axle threading must have to be a bit longer to accommodate the narrower hub, or maybe they ship a little spacer for the axle.

Nov. 20, 2022, 9:58 p.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Posted by: Endurimil

But it is possible to run a 12x142 rear hub in a 12x148 frame without adaptors?

It sounds like Marino is doing the same kind of thing that Surly did with the Gnot Boost / 145mm spacing. The spacing on both hub sizes is the same from end-to-rotor and other-end-to-cassette so it’s fine to squeeze it in a bit. The axle threading must have to be a bit longer to accommodate the narrower hub, or maybe they ship a little spacer for the axle.

Interesting. Haven't paid much attention to the Bike industry new axle standards to force you to buy more shit for a long time. So was curious about it all.

Nov. 28, 2022, 7:17 p.m.

Hello all

Had to stop lurking and make an account so I could add to my favorite thread. This scrambler frame arrived a month or two ago and is finally together for the most part. Combination parts bin/ebay finds build for the time being with a few fun odds and ends here cause its a rigid frame and ss, so what the hell, its still much cheaper than any of my full sus rigs. 

Highlights include some Paul WORD hubs with a White Industries freewheel and laced to Velocity Dually rims. Havent had a chance to get the rig dirty yet as I just finished it today and also rehabbing a bit of a knee injury but hopefully in a week or two......

Kerry

Nov. 29, 2022, 9:28 a.m.

That is really rad. Nice bike!

Nov. 29, 2022, 10:28 a.m.

Congrats on the Stooge. Enjoy the new ride.

Nov. 29, 2022, 11:18 a.m.

Posted by: burnskiez

Hello all

Had to stop lurking and make an account so I could add to my favorite thread. This scrambler frame arrived a month or two ago and is finally together for the most part. Combination parts bin/ebay finds build for the time being with a few fun odds and ends here cause its a rigid frame and ss, so what the hell, its still much cheaper than any of my full sus rigs.

Highlights include some Paul WORD hubs with a White Industries freewheel and laced to Velocity Dually rims. Havent had a chance to get the rig dirty yet as I just finished it today and also rehabbing a bit of a knee injury but hopefully in a week or two......

Kerry

Hubba and congrats. Can I ask what size you went for and how tall you are? The stack is throwing me a bit off of what I know.

---

Edit, more dumb questions: Basic difference between MK5 and Scrambler is one is a mid-fat?

Been hemming and hawing forever. Buddy at the Kona dealership keeps saying just get a Unit.

Last edited by: Hepcat on Nov. 29, 2022, 11:24 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 29, 2022, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: burnskiez

The aesthetics of this photo are awesome - new bright orange bike against the backdrop of the grey shop and old equipment works great.

Nov. 29, 2022, 3:43 p.m.

Hepcat, its a 20" frame, I'm 6'4.  I'm hoping I can get away with reducing that stack height by a third once I throw some bars with more rise on there.  Who knows, I'll have to get some actual saddle time but riding it around the neighborhood bedding in the brakes, it seemed really comfortable fit-wise.  Which I was concerned about, there not being a bigger version.  I ride a banshee titan in xl and a transition smuggler in xl for reference and those both fit me well with the oneup 35mm rise bar

I'm not 100% sure of all the differences but I think the big thing is the mk5 is a degree slacker at 66, whereas this is 67.  Also slightly longer chainstays on the mk.  They both fit plus tires although I think the mk can fit 29+ on both ends, although don't quote me on that.  I've got a vigilante 29x2.6 up front and a maxxis dissector 29x2.4 in the rear.  Theres not much clearance to go much wider in the back.  I just had the maxxis lying around so thats why its on there, but I'm planning on eventually trying something like a wtb ranger but I'd like to find a 2.5 if possible and then maybe go up to a 2.8 vigilante in the front.

I know I'll be wishing there were some real 1 1/8" fork options for it in the future, but I'm also excited to be "stuck" in a way with the rigid setup.  It'd be too easy to swap a suspension fork in there if it was compatible with one of my other bikes and I think it'll be a very fun learning experience riding the bike in a different way than I've been accustomed to.

Nov. 29, 2022, 9:57 p.m.

If you really want to fit a suspension fork, Dougal at Shockcraft in NZ can build you a custom Manitou from NOS parts.