NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Nov. 7, 2022, 5:52 a.m.

Posted by: martin

Nice picture @Vickb! Makes me want to go ride in the snow too, but it was super warm here out East this weekend so no snow yet this season. Maybe next week!

Same here in SE UK - it's been super wet.  We are now paying for the warmest summer on record.  Snow would be great but I can't see it happening again this year.

Nov. 7, 2022, 5:58 a.m.

Martin - Based on the forecast for the next while I suspect this snow won't stick around so I was glad to get out and lay down some fresh tracks. I hope you get some snow in the next few weeks. 

Niels - the mountains look really dramatic from town now with snow on all of them.  Only snow on the trails towards the top in Cumby. Lots of dirt riding lower down.

Nov. 8, 2022, 7:19 a.m.

Enjoy.

Nov. 10, 2022, 11:59 a.m.

Well....the Wideangle is now on long term injury list. Today noticed the chainstay on the drive side what see in photo. Pulled wheel and had my wife watch it while I flexed the chainstays. She confirmed it widened so it is cracked and need to if can be repaired later next year. Still have the Stylus though.

So back to ON Bike To Rule Them All .  LOL

Nov. 10, 2022, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Well....the Wideangle is now on long term injury list. Today noticed the chainstay on the drive side what see in photo. Pulled wheel and had my wife watch it while I flexed the chainstays. She confirmed it widened so it is cracked and need to if can be repaired later next year. 

Reach out to Chromag about warranty coverage?

Nov. 10, 2022, 12:31 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Well....the Wideangle is now on long term injury list. Today noticed the chainstay on the drive side what see in photo. Pulled wheel and had my wife watch it while I flexed the chainstays. She confirmed it widened so it is cracked and need to if can be repaired later next year.

Reach out to Chromag about warranty coverage?

Might. Just discovered today so will deal with it in the next while. Say that as the last two weeks have been a pile of stuff around another "project" been dealing with. Plus know of a guy who does frame repair so there is that options as well who did a repair job on the 2007 Stylus back in 2014-2015.

http://www.biseagal.com/

Last edited by: Endurimil on Nov. 10, 2022, 12:38 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 13, 2022, 3:56 p.m.

Fun Sunday night stripping Mistress Mk2a2  down to a frame. And better look at the probelem. Sucks as like this Wideangle as it has some meaning to it for me.

Hmm... now to reach out to that frame guy got the 2007 Stylus fixed with 8 years ago.

Nov. 14, 2022, 4:26 a.m.

Seems like that's a common failure point on frames. I did the same thing to a Surly Ice Cream Truck (twice, once on the original frame and once on the warranty frame). Mine's right next to the BB though.

Nov. 14, 2022, 6:34 a.m.

Fun Sunday night stripping Mistress Mk2a2  down to a frame. And better look at the probelem. Sucks as like this Wideangle as it has some meaning to it for me.

Hmm... now to reach out to that frame guy got the 2007 Stylus fixed with 8 years ago.

Good luck. I hope it is an economically feasible repair.

Nov. 14, 2022, 11:18 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

Seems like that's a common failure point on frames. I did the same thing to a Surly Ice Cream Truck (twice, once on the original frame and once on the warranty frame). Mine's right next to the BB though.

Last one like this was 2006 on a Rocky Mtn cross frame. Though it failed mid tube.

I blame it on the improved technology of the nucular powered knee brace.🤣🤣🤣

Nov. 14, 2022, 2:19 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Am looking into it to see as well as the check with the bike company thing.  

Wasn't even mad or upset when found that. Was more like well this is matching the last three months so far. LOL

Nov. 16, 2022, 8:33 a.m.

Stanton bikes in trouble.

https://singletrackworld.com/2022/11/stanton-bikes-calls-in-administrators/

Nov. 16, 2022, 8:46 a.m.

Stanton bikes in trouble.

https://singletrackworld.com/2022/11/stanton-bikes-calls-in-administrators/

That's too bad. I've spent some time on their website over the years. Nothing they offered ever quite ticked all my boxes, but they were clearly keen about their designs and had a loyal following. Hopefully someone is interested that can carry on the name in a way that does justice to their legacy.

Nov. 16, 2022, 12:43 p.m.

I owned a 27.5 Switchback. It wasn't bad, but it sure was heavy. 

I wonder if building their full suss bikes wasn't a fools errand that sunk them?

Nov. 16, 2022, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

See how this goes as have messaged Chromag just to see what options have as well. Plus looking into other options.

Actually considering since have the Stylus maybe go the Rootdown route instead as it can take 27.5 plus as well as 29er. And supposedly handles similar to the Wideangle.