NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Oct. 20, 2022, 7:51 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

... alternative other possibility: it's just a hard climb/hard spots where you're stuck.

I finally cleaned one climb-section I have been working on all summer. Tried different tires, different bikes, alternative lines, various conditions - kept getting denied. Just took some more practice. Wasn't me or the bike. Take it easy on yourself!

Ditto.  I have a short local climb that I have got 3 out of 10 times in one session a few years back and haven't managed it since.  It's steep and rocky with 2-3 step ups and you've got to hit it fast and change down as you go up it.  It's just hard.

Oct. 20, 2022, 8:09 a.m.

I get annoyed when I don't clean a climb that I have done in the past regularly. Because I know I can do it and it's just a matter of bike setup/technique that's holding me back. So I want to solve that.

I don't get annoyed when I just can't clean a climb that I never have made or rarely have cleaned. I might session it so I can figure it out and add it to my repertoire. That's always a great feeling. OTOH some climbs are so far out of my league there is no point bothering and I just break out my HAB skills.

BC Nuggets has noticed a negative change in what he can get up so I'd spend the time to figure out what's going on and get that performance back.

Oct. 20, 2022, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

... alternative other possibility: it's just a hard climb/hard spots where you're stuck.

I finally cleaned one climb-section I have been working on all summer. Tried different tires, different bikes, alternative lines, various conditions - kept getting denied. Just took some more practice. Wasn't me or the bike. Take it easy on yourself!

Nah, this is stuff I've traditionally been able to get up at least 50% of the time.  Could be my age too.  Who knows, I'll keep at it.  Been riding a bit less this summer than previous years so I'm a bit rusty but still it's a bummer.

Oct. 20, 2022, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I get annoyed when I don't clean a climb that I have done in the past regularly. Because I know I can do it and it's just a matter of bike setup/technique that's holding me back. So I want to solve that.

I don't get annoyed when I just can't clean a climb that I never have made or rarely have cleaned. I might session it so I can figure it out and add it to my repertoire. That's always a great feeling. OTOH some climbs are so far out of my league there is no point bothering and I just break out my HAB skills.

BC Nuggets has noticed a negative change in what he can get up so I'd spend the time to figure out what's going on and get that performance back.

Yep that's it.  Going to put my DHR2 back on.  Oh and the obvious thing which just occurred to me is I'm about 10lbs heavier than previous years and I don't think that's muscle.  And I'm getting older too but some of you guys are older than I am (50) so who knows.

So:

Ride more

Eat better

Rear tire change

Psychologically - don't give up easy

Session/repeat the ones I should be getting

Heart rate monitor?

Oct. 20, 2022, 9:41 a.m.

Core and leg strength go a long way on technical climbs. Easier to manhandle the bike through and up stuff, easier to push a harder gear, easier to keep balance.

Oct. 20, 2022, 12:34 p.m.

I'm almost thinking I should try single speed for autumn/winter/spring.  Sure I'll puke at first, be sore all over and risk cardiac failure, but if it doesn't kill me.

Oct. 20, 2022, 10:10 p.m.

It does loads for everything, especially tech climbing.

Oct. 20, 2022, 11:55 p.m.

Single speed climbing in my experience does more for your analysis of the climb than it does your power. I never found I got stronger for geared climbing after running ss. In terms of generating the power needed, you just end up standing and using all kinds of parts of yourself to generate the power needed (upper, core and lower). Seated cycling is a specific set of coordinated muscle firing that needs to be practiced specifically ime. Getting out of the saddle and wrenching a high gear up a climb does not really build those muscles nor the appropriate muscle memory. 

That being said, once you start climbing ss, you never look at a climb the same. You start to notice small nuances in the trail that will allow you to rest or accelerate. No climb is ever just an all out effort, rather a series of explosive bursts and micro-breaks.

Oct. 21, 2022, 9:02 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Single speed climbing in my experience does more for your analysis of the climb than it does your power. I never found I got stronger for geared climbing after running ss. In terms of generating the power needed, you just end up standing and using all kinds of parts of yourself to generate the power needed (upper, core and lower). Seated cycling is a specific set of coordinated muscle firing that needs to be practiced specifically ime. Getting out of the saddle and wrenching a high gear up a climb does not really build those muscles nor the appropriate muscle memory. 

That being said, once you start climbing ss, you never look at a climb the same. You start to notice small nuances in the trail that will allow you to rest or accelerate. No climb is ever just an all out effort, rather a series of explosive bursts and micro-breaks.

💯! Although I find I start cranking in a tough gear climbing with gears now without thinking about it.

Oct. 21, 2022, 10:51 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

This is a very good point.  I do know that with technical climbs I find it best to lower my seat a bit.  I think the pay off is balance and the ability to move my body around whilst still having the ability to be explosive and push forward when needed (picture a dog humping a football.)  Whereas single speed technical climb is more stand and mash, flail, hop.

Strong argument of an additional bike--single speed, perhaps even rigid. :)

Oct. 22, 2022, 9:15 p.m.

Rigid is such a game changer climbing over anything with shocks. Agree with lowering the seat. Huge benefit, especially when moving up and over obstacles. Not sure if I look like a dog humping a football? Is this a common analogy? 🤔

Oct. 24, 2022, 9:25 a.m.

Re dog humping football.  I read it once and it stuck. :)

Worked a bit on my climbing this weekend.  A lot of it comes down to fitness I think.  That and I'm constantly changing my cockpit trying to find the goldilocks position.  I brought my torque wrench along and was raising and lowering my bars, rotating them forwards and backwards mid-ride.  People would ride by and go "uh oh you got a mechanical?" and I'm like "no, just tinkering."  Ha.

Anyway I've got lights and will work on this shit over the cold months.  ;)

Nov. 6, 2022, 1:31 p.m.

It's that time of the year again. Guilt free skidding and sliding.

Nov. 6, 2022, 10:44 p.m.

Nice picture @Vickb! Makes me want to go ride in the snow too, but it was super warm here out East this weekend so no snow yet this season. Maybe next week!

Nov. 7, 2022, 5 a.m.

Cool photo Vik!