NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Oct. 3, 2022, 6:15 a.m.

Thanks for the side shot Craw. I always love sing your bikes. My brain says sweet 275er and then I remember they are 29er wheels and you are riding a BIG frame. The wheels look well sized for the overall bike. :-)

Oct. 3, 2022, 8:03 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Ti hardtail

Looks like we have the same seatpost 'issue' ☺️

Oct. 4, 2022, 7:14 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

Ti hardtail

Looks like we have the same seatpost 'issue' ☺️

Which is what?

Oct. 4, 2022, 11:32 a.m.

Looks like you can fit a longer dropper. But I also see you've got a set of seat tube mounts so maybe not depending on how much insertion depth you have left.

Oct. 4, 2022, 12:30 p.m.

Looks like you can fit a longer dropper. But I also see you've got a set of seat tube mounts so maybe not depending on how much insertion depth you have left.

I've got plenty of room for more dropper. I just don't need it. Plus I'm stuck with this Revive 185 that's more than adequate and nobody wanted to buy it; a great post whose slightly short length has put it out of fashion. I don't like burying my seat anyway - good steering is partially done from the legs at the post. If the seat is dropped too low I lose that. It's surprising to me that so many shorter riders insist on burying a 200mm dropper but then again I haven't been passed on a descent in a long time.

Last edited by: craw on Oct. 4, 2022, 12:32 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Oct. 4, 2022, 5:35 p.m.

I totally hear and share every sentiment above -- except for the not being passed part. Just have to live with the ugliness of exposed seatpost 

I'm also surprised that I've had zero bites on my 160 Revive that I feel I've priced really well for what it is.

Oct. 4, 2022, 9:49 p.m.

I've got plenty of room for more dropper. I just don't need it. Plus I'm stuck with this Revive 185 that's more than adequate and nobody wanted to buy it; a great post whose slightly short length has put it out of fashion. I don't like burying my seat anyway - good steering is partially done from the legs at the post. If the seat is dropped too low I lose that. It's surprising to me that so many shorter riders insist on burying a 200mm dropper but then again I haven't been passed on a descent in a long time.

Like you keep saying, different shaped humans are different. 

I'm short next to your bike at 6', but prefer the saddle below knee height with pedals level for cornering. Above the knee inhibits my ability to shift my hips away from the bike axis.

Oct. 5, 2022, 6:52 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Like you keep saying, different shaped humans are different.

I'm short next to your bike at 6', but prefer the saddle below knee height with pedals level for cornering. Above the knee inhibits my ability to shift my hips away from the bike axis.

I was sure I was disagreeing with you so I went and did a physical check. With the seat at full drop and pedals at 3/9 the saddle is in fact, just above knee height. Interesting.

Last edited by: craw on Oct. 5, 2022, 6:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 5, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

I was sure my Revive 160 was sufficient until Sacki sent me the 213 to try and I discovered that I found the additional freedom to move around helpful in some situations. In other situations I drop the seat to less than full travel, you don't lose that ability going with a longer dropper.

Oct. 5, 2022, 9:14 a.m.

I bought a 200mm dropper figuring I would try it out vs. the 150mm and 175mm droppers on my other bike. I found I hated the extra drop. It didn't add anything to my technical descending and I like to be able to site on the fully lowered saddle and pedal between sections that are close together vs. raise the saddle every time. With the extra drop it was too low to use comfortably and since it made no difference it just annoyed the heck out of me. Luckily that dropper was adjustable by 30mm so I set it for 170mm drop. That works great for me.

Obviously I can not lower the saddle the full 200mm, but that's as incredibly annoying as running a dropper that's too long and having to adjust the saddle height to where I want it for pedaling at my petered saddle height. Having a dropper that places the saddle at full extension and zero extension right where I want it is much better.

I find ~170mm dropper travel is ideal for me [5'11" & 33" pants inseam], but if I had to choose between only 150mm or 200mm I'd take 150mm every time. I am super happy that such easy travel adjustment is now available for a lot of dropper posts.

Oct. 5, 2022, 9:39 a.m.

I bought a 240 this year and it's been game changing for me....I could never drop it out of the way enough...but I am tall with medium long legs...lol.

Oct. 5, 2022, 11:50 a.m.

Good thing that these days we have an abundance of choice in reliable droppers of all lengths to cover all possible combinations of body shape, bike geo and riding style! ;-)

Oct. 5, 2022, 11:55 a.m.

Somehow I haven't died using 120mm dropper.  I think I need to take up a sport where everything I own isn't obsolete in less than 5 years.  Haha.

Oct. 5, 2022, 12:05 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Good thing that these days we have an abundance of choice in reliable droppers of all lengths to cover all possible combinations of body shape, bike geo and riding style! ;-)

Except if you don't have internal routing for dropper.  Where's the affordable wireless technology?

Oct. 5, 2022, 12:15 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Posted by: [email protected]

Except if you don't have internal routing for dropper.  Where's the affordable wireless technology?

Maybe drilling a hole in the frame is an option? I know people who have done this.