NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Sept. 30, 2022, 10:28 a.m.

Well it's good to know I'm not missing out completely ignoring my fork's lockout function. :)

Sept. 30, 2022, 4:27 p.m.

I've got a real soft spot for green bikes, so I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade from my NS Eccentric a couple months ago. The Torrent here is definitely a more compact/aggressive fit compared to the NS, and the super short seat tube really bugs me aesthetically despite the more than adequate 160mm dropper.

Sept. 30, 2022, 4:28 p.m.

and ps: internally cable routing blows. Hard.

Sept. 30, 2022, 9:32 p.m.

Some really sweet rides here lately. That ti hardtail looks sweet as does the torrent above. I agree that the seat tube is pretty short looking - what size is the frame? The seat is still lower than the bars so it's not like you sized down or anything. Could you fit a 200 in there?

Oct. 1, 2022, 5:41 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Back in the saddle.

hardtail

Ooh, another Waltly! Was the “630mm Reach” (as printed in the Dream Rides article) too much for you? 😄

I was curious if you changed anything from that version. Also, does the seat tube bend achieve anything important? Tire clearance seems like it would be ample without it, though it looks like it allows for a longer weld between ST and DT?

Oct. 1, 2022, 7:38 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

I've got a real soft spot for green bikes, so I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade from my NS Eccentric a couple months ago. The Torrent here is definitely a more compact/aggressive fit compared to the NS, and the super short seat tube really bugs me aesthetically despite the more than adequate 160mm dropper.

If it's any consolation I think it looks really good. That extra tool mount under the top tube makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by: craw on Oct. 1, 2022, 7:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 1, 2022, 7:47 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

Back in the saddle.

hardtail

Ooh, another Waltly! Was the “630mm Reach” (as printed in the Dream Rides article) too much for you? 😄

I was curious if you changed anything from that version. Also, does the seat tube bend achieve anything important? Tire clearance seems like it would be ample without it, though it looks like it allows for a longer weld between ST and DT?

Haha. This is the 530mm reach one, I guess there was a typo in the article?  I don't know what the seat tube bend accomplishes though I would prefer it wasn't there. It's certainly not necessary for clearance or to achieve the required seat tube angle since the rear center is 448mm. I didn't specify that bend so I'm guess the tubes were already bent like that. It doesn't affect the ride or fit in any way. It would easily fit 2.6 on 35mm id rims back there. 

After a couple of jarring rides ("why the hell am I doing this?") I'm back on my HT game.  Like Donnie on quaaludes. If you can survive the first bit you'll have a lot of fun after. Peppy climbing on a shorter WB than my G1 has been really nice despite still remembering how to make it up technical sections without getting bounced around. Same with descents TBH. It takes a while to find the flow again on a HT but weirdly satisfying.

Oct. 1, 2022, 10:02 a.m.

It's funny, I have the exact same feeling in reverse going from hardtail to fs. It takes a while to remember to push into the suspension and let it work. Once I do, I remember why I don't sell my FS rig.

Glad you are having fun on the HT.

How much does a Walty run? I'm looking at getting another Marino but maybe I should do my gravel bike in Ti? Have you broken any of their frames yet? My track record on Taiwanese Ti is only 1-1.5 years per frame (Kona Ti Honzo x2).

Oct. 1, 2022, 10:50 a.m.

If it's any consolation I think it looks really good. That extra tool mount under the top tube makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, I really like how it turned out and do enjoy the ride. I haven't put the top tube mount to use yet, I would have preferred the bottle mount be pushed as far down the down tube as possible to make way (possibly) for a second inline bottle mount higher up. But where it is currently is super accessible to grab the bottle while on the move.

The current st length is 395mm, my previous NS was 440mm. I should be able to stuff a ~200mm dropper in there to satisfy my aesthetic needs, but I don't see any practical need for the seat to be dropped any lower than where it is currently with my 160mm dropper. I've tried selling this Revive to fund an upgrade to a longer one, but the pre-owned market has been very slow over the past couple months.

Last edited by: UFO on Oct. 1, 2022, 10:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 1, 2022, 10:16 p.m.

After a couple of jarring rides ("why the hell am I doing this?") I'm back on my HT game.  Like Donnie on quaaludes. If you can survive the first bit you'll have a lot of fun after. Peppy climbing on a shorter WB than my G1 has been really nice despite still remembering how to make it up technical sections without getting bounced around. Same with descents TBH. It takes a while to find the flow again on a HT but weirdly satisfying.

That Nicolai must have been a beast to let that 1340(?)mm wheelbase feel short! I was thinking the other day while climbing on the rigid how much less I had to think about pedal strikes. It’s almost freeing…then I slammed my front end into something and stopped dead.

Great movie reference, too!

Jordan Belfort: The Unsuspended Mountain Bike, or Hardtail, as it is commonly referred to, was first synthesized in 1981 by a man named Gary - that's Fisher, not Turner - as an alternative to road biking, and was sold to stressed-out househusbands with drinking problems. But pretty soon, somebody figured out that if you resisted the urge to ride the bridle paths for just fifteen minutes, you got a pretty kick-ass high from it. Didn't take long for people to start abusing hardtails, of course, and in 1998 the Marzocchi Corporation, passé’d them, along with the rest of the mountain bike industry. Which meant there was only a finite amount of these things left on the trail. No shit. You can't even buy good ones off the rack anymore. You people are all shit out of luck.

Oct. 2, 2022, 5:49 p.m.

Ha! Visualized the Wolf talking as I read that.

Oct. 2, 2022, 7:33 p.m.

Pace RC529

Been nearly 2 months riding, transition to 29er as been painless

coming from old clapped out On-One 456

the geometry is outstanding, have never felt so comfortable climbing....charges downhill

although I do find the overall length or wheel size perhaps hanging me up in really tight trails which I really enjoyed with 26" wheels

Oct. 2, 2022, 9:19 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Congrats. Can we get a side shot?

Ti hardtail

Last edited by: craw on Oct. 2, 2022, 9:21 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 2, 2022, 10:11 p.m.

Posted by: JakefromStateFarm

Pace RC529

the geometry is outstanding, have never felt so comfortable climbing....charges downhill

although I do find the overall length or wheel size perhaps hanging me up in really tight trails which I really enjoyed with 26" wheels

Also a killer looking bike.

Oct. 3, 2022, 1:57 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Posted by: JakefromStateFarm

Pace RC529

Also a killer looking bike.

Ya. Nice lines, and a great colour.