NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Sept. 15, 2022, 4:07 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Do you guys/gals/other use the lock-out function on your forks often?  

Often? Nope. Sometimes for riding to the trails, but honestly I am not sure it does anything useful. I'm not standing up mashing on the commute to the trails so there isn't all that much fork movement on pavement when I am seated.

Once set for excellent trail performance if my hardtail fork damper couldn't be adjusted once I left home I'd be fine with that. I don't really love faffing with stuff during a ride.

Sept. 17, 2022, 11:42 a.m.

I don't have them anymore on the Sram products but i was always leaving the Fox fork & shock locked out until I noticed it about half way down

The Yeti design climbed pretty good so I'm not sure if I noticed any benifit to using the lockout when i had them and don't miss them now

Sept. 17, 2022, 3:38 p.m.

Do you guys/gals/other use the lock-out function on your forks often?  I would probably use mine on long paved climbs to the trail head if it wasn't for the one time I used it in the past I swear (and maybe it was my imagination) it seemed to be sticky and not work well after I stopped using the lockout (ie turned it back to fully open.)  Seemed off until I got the lowers serviced.  Was I imagining things?  It's an older 34 float (RLC...yeah it goes back a ways.)

I used to not really be concerned about lockout but I must admit it could be useful on some occasions.

Never ever.

Sept. 18, 2022, 8:23 a.m.

This^

I have never found any advantage to a front lockout. A rigid fork does offer a significant climbing improvement for standing climbing but I have never had the same feeling with locked out suspension fork. I think the advantage is not from lack of bobbing but the rigid connection with the front wheel that does not flex or twist. A locked out suspension fork still flexes and twists between the stations and lowers. I try not to buy forks with a lockout, high and low speed compression is worth spending extra on.

Sept. 19, 2022, 8:32 a.m.

58 deg is the new 62 deg.

https://bikerumor.com/shand-ioma-slackest-hardtail/?fbclid=IwAR1VpFQ7ngpDCNyAJvu17-vFa1AxOyUTS-G7t-cgXyYE4LbENNiCT6qwK-E

Sept. 19, 2022, 11:21 a.m.

I can't believe I've been riding around a hardtail with 68-degree hta and haven't died yet.

That's a beautiful looking bike but I wouldn't want to ride it up anything steep.  I'm no geo expert tho...

;)

Sept. 19, 2022, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

This^

I have never found any advantage to a front lockout. A rigid fork does offer a significant climbing improvement for standing climbing but I have never had the same feeling with locked out suspension fork. I think the advantage is not from lack of bobbing but the rigid connection with the front wheel that does not flex or twist. A locked out suspension fork still flexes and twists between the stations and lowers. I try not to buy forks with a lockout, high and low speed compression is worth spending extra on.

This makes a lot of sense.

Sept. 19, 2022, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

58 deg is the new 62 deg.

https://bikerumor.com/shand-ioma-slackest-hardtail/?fbclid=IwAR1VpFQ7ngpDCNyAJvu17-vFa1AxOyUTS-G7t-cgXyYE4LbENNiCT6qwK-E

There's a lot of fun in that. Shame they went press / EBB over sliders / swingers. 

Maybe they listened to Marty advocating for 65° +/- 2° and said "More is more".

Sept. 24, 2022, 8:44 p.m.

My hardtail is not a hardtail any more... It's just... Hard? Not quite a gravel bike. Not quite a 90s MTB. Not quite a beach cruiser. It's a shore cruiser, I guess. Lol

Sept. 25, 2022, 3 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

My hardtail is not a hardtail any more... It's just... Hard? Not quite a gravel bike. Not quite a 90s MTB. Not quite a beach cruiser. It's a shore cruiser, I guess. Lol

What that is, is a good time cruising and chatting with your small person. 

Until they get tall enough for the helmet / chin interactions to ruin it. Enoy yourselves.

Sept. 28, 2022, 1:02 p.m.

Do you guys/gals/other use the lock-out function on your forks often?  

Only when I have my HT in road mode (road tyres) and even it's only comp damping (Pike RC) so the forks still work.  

I never use lockouts off road on either HT or FS (coil sprung both ends) bikes.

Sept. 29, 2022, 8:28 a.m.

Back in the saddle.

hardtail

Last edited by: craw on Sept. 29, 2022, 8:31 a.m., edited 7 times in total.
Sept. 29, 2022, 8:35 a.m.

Congrats. Can we get a side shot?

Sept. 29, 2022, 9:24 a.m.

Yeah we need more pics please! Looks killer though.

Sept. 30, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

Do you guys/gals/other use the lock-out function on your forks often?  I would probably use mine on long paved climbs to the trail head if it wasn't for the one time I used it in the past I swear (and maybe it was my imagination) it seemed to be sticky and not work well after I stopped using the lockout (ie turned it back to fully open.)  Seemed off until I got the lowers serviced.  Was I imagining things?  It's an older 34 float (RLC...yeah it goes back a ways.)

I used to not really be concerned about lockout but I must admit it could be useful on some occasions.

Never. I figure if your fork is bobbing you need a coach. It will bob sprinting and standing but so what. But fork movement while spinning along on the flats or climbs while seated is from body movement. Plus as others have said, switches get left on or off at the wrong times. I don’t know how many times I went down something with my TALAS fork set at 120 instead of 160 and thought my fork felt harsh.