NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

July 12, 2022, 9:15 p.m.

Posted by: craw

They still make the KS Lev https://kssuspension.com/product/lev/ which would save you having to drill anything. You could probably run the housing along with the rest under the top tube.

Thanks, appreciate that tip. I'm fully engrossed into min/maxing my stuff, and especially so for my kids' stuff. If pnw offered a 100mm external post and had it available in their refurb program, that would be a strong consideration. I picked up this take off Bontrager post for $50, so drill it is ☺️

July 13, 2022, 3:15 a.m.

I think Ebikes will continue to erode the mtb market.  Less demand for MEAT bikes will lead to less options (at least from the medium / big players).  Small companies will still offer MEAT bikes which is fine with me as they are generally the ones who come up with the interesting / innovative products.

July 13, 2022, 9:06 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

I think Ebikes will continue to erode the mtb market.  Less demand for MEAT bikes will lead to less options (at least from the medium / big players).  Small companies will still offer MEAT bikes which is fine with me as they are generally the ones who come up with the interesting / innovative products.

Yep. Which is both funny and frustrating when you look at the message the bike companies are sending marketing them while at the same time for the last three years everyone saying how the bike industry and world needs to do more to be inclusive and diverse.

July 14, 2022, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: UFO

They still make the KS Lev https://kssuspension.com/product/lev/ which would save you having to drill anything. You could probably run the housing along with the rest under the top tube.

Thanks, appreciate that tip. I'm fully engrossed into min/maxing my stuff, and especially so for my kids' stuff. If pnw offered a 100mm external post and had it available in their refurb program, that would be a strong consideration. I picked up this take off Bontrager post for $50, so drill it is ☺️

The Lev is hardly a new product. I first got one in like 2012 because the Lev was a good choice back then for bikes without stealth routing. It was a pretty good post too, just a little finicky to set up the cable. I bet there are cheap ones around. But $50 is $50 :)

July 14, 2022, 5:17 p.m.

The Lev is hardly a new product. I first got one in like 2012 because the Lev was a good choice back then for bikes without stealth routing. It was a pretty good post too, just a little finicky to set up the cable. I bet there are cheap ones around. But $50 is $50 :)

Yeah totally. I still have a 27.2 external Lev in service and I've had an internal Lev as well, both proved to be reliable. Prior to the One Ups, the Levs had the shortest drop:internal length ratio of any post worth talking about. 

Anyways I've got nothing but time to tinker for the rest of this season since fracturing my ankle

July 15, 2022, 10:09 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Rebuilt MoXie.

Did some measurements today, after coming to an abrupt halt when pedal hit dirt on a rise I used to be able to pedal over. 

This is with the fork at 140mm, a - 2° headset and a 27x2.8 rear, so not really sure about BB drop or stack measurements. 

Reach 465mm

BBH 300mm

HA 63°

SA 72°

CS 430mm (from BB) 

WB 1240mm

FC 805mm (From BB) 

Stack 650mm (headset dustcap - BB height)

ETT 630mm (at stack)

Span 800mm (headset dustcap to BB)

July 17, 2022, 11:33 a.m.

Rebuilt MoXie.

Did some measurements today, after coming to an abrupt halt when pedal hit dirt on a rise I used to be able to pedal over. 

This is with the fork at 140mm, a - 2° headset and a 27x2.8 rear, so not really sure about BB drop or stack measurements. 

Reach 465mm

BBH 300mm

HA 63°

SA 72°

CS 430mm (from BB) 

WB 1240mm

FC 805mm (From BB) 

ETT 630mm (at stack)

I'm surprised you were clipping pedals. My 160mm 27.5" hardtail bb sits at 300mm and I ride it with 175 cranks. I'm pretty sure I have gotten used to this bb height over time and have learned not to pedal willy nilly through chunder but at the same time, I don't find myself thinking about clipping pedals either. A soft fork can make a borderline bb height too low. I run mine with 20-25% sag.

July 17, 2022, 8:43 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Rebuilt MoXie.

Reach 465mm

BBH 300mm

HA 63°

SA 72°

CS 430mm (from BB) 

WB 1240mm

FC 805mm (From BB) 

ETT 630mm (at stack)

I'm surprised you were clipping pedals. My 160mm 27.5" hardtail bb sits at 300mm and I ride it with 175 cranks. I'm pretty sure I have gotten used to this bb height over time and have learned not to pedal willy nilly through chunder but at the same time, I don't find myself thinking about clipping pedals either. A soft fork can make a borderline bb height too low. I run mine with 20-25% sag.

A 27 wheel in a 160mm fork will be a similar total height to this 29 / 140mm, and yes 175mm cranks. 

It's not smacking pedals everywhere, just caught me out compared to before I lowered the fork and fitted the works headset. 

Looking (cautiously) forward to tipping it into some steeper lumpy stuff. Guess that's what the bashring is for.

July 18, 2022, 7:36 p.m.

I wont get to ride it today becauae i foegot to buy a star nut, but i did ride it down the graaay slope on my property a few times and my cuatom geo feels pretty sick. The bike feame without axle or dropouts is 3129g and the for qoth the axle was 1527g, so about 10lbs. 

I paid for the Reynolds 725 tubing but there is no way of knowing if it is a 75$ tubeset upgrade or juat a 75$ sticker.  The frame feels stiff around the bottom bracket and the steering has some flex that gives it a nice pop out of a corner.

I'll post further ride impressions once I've taken it for a proper rip. 

The angles are 64/75 but my phone says the are 63.5/74. The fork has a 51mm rake.

July 19, 2022, 4:57 a.m.

Looks great Rah.

July 19, 2022, 6:16 a.m.

That looks awesome! Definitely not something you can get close to off the shelf and the colour is sweet!

What’s the story of the bike’s (?) name being Anna?

July 19, 2022, 7:38 a.m.

Neat rig!

If you have a long enough bolt and a big washer you can run it through your steerer tube, preload your headset, tighten the stem bolts, then remove the bolt and you’re good to go.

A bar clamp can work too.

Last edited by: tashi on July 19, 2022, 8:50 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
July 19, 2022, 8:11 a.m.

I wont get to ride it today becauae i foegot to buy a star nut, but i did ride it down the graaay slope on my property a few times and my cuatom geo feels pretty sick. 

If you are in Comox I have lots of small spares like star nuts and such. No need to stall the build. Enjoy the new bike. I'm glad you are enjoying your first impressions.

July 19, 2022, 10:45 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

That looks awesome! Definitely not something you can get close to off the shelf and the colour is sweet!

What’s the story of the bike’s (?) name being Anna?

For around 15 years a rigid surly was my only mtb bike (poor student for way too long). My wife (Anna) mentioned to me last year that she liked riding with me better when I was on my surly. She is an amazing climber and a capable descender but just doesn't really like high speed. A rigid bike evens things out between us so for our anniversary last year, "marshmallow" (her name for this bike) was born. Her name and our initials are on it because it is a bike, not for crushing strava segments or sending drops, but one specifically designed for us to enjoy rides together. It doesn't hurt that the geo is super playful, which keeps things fun at the slower speeds a rigid bike will go.

July 19, 2022, 10:47 a.m.

Thanks for the ideas about the headset tashi and the offer of small parts vic. All will be right later today.