NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

June 27, 2022, 12:17 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

In terms of install, I would just recommend getting a pump with an air chamber. I find my pump with air chamber is better than many air compressors as I can remove the valve core and the rate of air flow is really high.

I found a fitting that screws onto my air compressor's blow gun that fits decently onto the presta valve (core removed). One quick shot, the tires popped into place, pull off the blow gun and cover the valve with my finger until the core is threaded back in.

June 27, 2022, 1:16 p.m.

Hey those Tannus Armour Tubeless inserts look reasonably easy to install.  And I like that they're half the weight of the cush.  Do they make tubeless installs easier than normal?  I'm putting an Ikon on the back of my 29er for the summer and maybe I stretched the bead or something but I can't seem to set the bloody thing up tubeless anymore.  Originally it was fairly easy as all of my Maxxis tires have been.  Doesn't look like the Tannus puts much additional pressure on the bead when there's no air in it so it probably won't help.

June 27, 2022, 3:05 p.m.

I have Tannus Tubeless and Cushcore Pro. I may be in the minority on this but I actually find the Tannus harder to install. Cushcore tends to stay in place while Tannus always wants to pop over the lip of the rim during install. Neither is very difficult though.

I run Cushcore Pro on my hardtail because I find it irons out the trail more and has a more damped feel than Tannus. I run Tannus on my suspension bike because I think the unsprung weight matters more there.

Last edited by: Bushpilot on June 27, 2022, 3:09 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 27, 2022, 3:08 p.m.

I have Tannus in one wheelset (FS bike) and Cushcore on my Rootdown. I found cushcore easy to install on raceFace arc rims as long as I followed the video and used the bead dropper.

Tannus have also been easy to install using the same tactics plus there's the additional bonus of not having to use a cushcore compliant valve, but they didn't hold the bead in the same way that cushcore does though

The rest in terms of how much dampening and tyre feel is really down to you; but I've used exo and exo+ with both insert types (based on what was to hand in stores ) with no problems on either bike.

June 27, 2022, 3:45 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Hey those Tannus Armour Tubeless inserts look reasonably easy to install.  And I like that they're half the weight of the cush.  Do they make tubeless installs easier than normal?  I'm putting an Ikon on the back of my 29er for the summer and maybe I stretched the bead or something but I can't seem to set the bloody thing up tubeless anymore.  Originally it was fairly easy as all of my Maxxis tires have been.  Doesn't look like the Tannus puts much additional pressure on the bead when there's no air in it so it probably won't help.

I'm not sure. I've installed a few Tannus inserts, but I haven't had issues with popping those tires on the rim's bead with or without the insert. I run wider tires [~2.6"] and the insert does put pressure on the tire's bead vs. no insert. While the Tannus is not solid like CC it's fairly stiff.

June 27, 2022, 4:44 p.m.

Air pressure installing isn’t an issue with cushcore, it’s pretty well sealed at that point. I swapped a tyre with cushcore the other day and timed it out of curiosity. 9mins to remove wheel from bike, change tyre with cc and get back in bike. 

Having said that, a DH casing on a WAO rim nearly broke me at Christmas.

June 28, 2022, 1 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

In terms of install, I would just recommend getting a pump with an air chamber. I find my pump with air chamber is better than many air compressors as I can remove the valve core and the rate of air flow is really high.

I found a fitting that screws onto my air compressor's blow gun that fits decently onto the presta valve (core removed). One quick shot, the tires popped into place, pull off the blow gun and cover the valve with my finger until the core is threaded back in.

You got a link to that fitting? I've seen some on Amazon but don't want to drop the coin unless they do what I need.

June 28, 2022, 8:21 a.m.

The rubber tip blow guns work a treat for this. They’re like $8 too. Could bring a spare presta valve down to the hardware store and see what fits?

June 28, 2022, 9:01 a.m.

I'm currently running unfashionably narrow rims on my chromag. 21mm internal I think? I should consider the cushcore gravel bike model yeah? There's got to be some weight savings there. Hmm.

Edit: nevermind, the gravel model fits the 21mm width but it's for tires under 50mm.  I should really get some new wheels anyway.

Anyone try those spank vibrocore wheels?  Do they have some of the dampening, comfort creating properties of inserts?

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on June 28, 2022, 9:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 28, 2022, 9:13 a.m.

You got a link to that fitting? I've seen some on Amazon but don't want to drop the coin unless they do what I need.

There's a brass connector for about a dollar that converts presta to schrader - my LBS has a big tin of them, but Amazon should have them without you dropping said coin. They allow me to use the husky air compressors.

June 28, 2022, 1:49 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

There's a brass connector for about a dollar that converts presta to schrader - my LBS has a big tin of them, but Amazon should have them without you dropping said coin. They allow me to use the husky air compressors.

I have one of those brass fittings, but with mine, it won't thread onto the valve stem itself, it will only thread onto the removeable portion of the valve, so I can't use it for quick filling.

In response to RAHrider, it's actually a shimano brake line compression fitting (the black bit with the nut flats on it that threads into the lever). It threads right into the generic blow gun I use on my compressor, and the open end fits over the valve stem (with valve removed) tightly enough to get the tire inflated in one quick move.

Last edited by: mammal on June 28, 2022, 1:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 28, 2022, 2:55 p.m.

It seemed like it wouldn't warm up this year, but we've actually had a steady bit of legit hot weather! Mountain bike pants put away until September it's shorts weather. I've been running a single 600ml bottle all fall/winter/spring, but that's not going to cut it now. I wasn't sure how hard it was going to be to get two bottles to fit inside the frame of my bike. I have a few different options in the parts bin, but I got lucky on the first try. 750ml bottle in a side loading cage lower on the DT and a 600ml Fabric cageless bottle up top for 1350ml of hydration. I'll throw some purification tabs in my frame bag for creek refills on any super long rides.

I might even do something out of character and wash my bike now that it threatens to stay dry a while.

June 29, 2022, 12:52 a.m.

Vik - I'm not sure if it's the same in Canada but it's bad karma in the UK to wash your bike if it's dusty  ;)  Loving the double waterbottles.

June 29, 2022, 12:58 a.m.

Tyres - ATM i'm running 2.3 Tough Vigilantes front and rear on 30ID rims on the Krampus.  High grip front, fast rolling rear.  I've not tried inserts but as my set up seems to work and it's a relatively faff free setup.  Also the fast rolling WTB tyres do tend to roll quite quickly - at least the skinnier ones do.

Current HT with 140mm Pikes back on up front.

June 29, 2022, 2:48 p.m.

Looks tidy Marty. I am amused by the Saint preload bolt on the Deore crank.