NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

May 17, 2022, 3:49 p.m.

Thanks for the advice.  I will look into this.

May 17, 2022, 3:49 p.m.

Any of you guys/gals bikepack with your hardtails? Got any pics or lists of your gear, hydration techniques?

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on May 17, 2022, 3:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 17, 2022, 4:16 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Any of you guys/gals bikepack with your hardtails? Got any pics or lists of your gear, hydration techniques?

That's my current setup for 4-5 day summer tour with good weather. I also carry a 20L backpack, but I try to keep in only partially loaded depending on resupply options on the route. If you want to send me your email by PM I can send you a gear list. There is usually a lot of great quality water around in BC so I don't do anything special for hydration. I carry Pristine tablets and throw one in a bottle as needed. Two bottles = ~1.5L on the bike. I'll often carry a 2L water bag and leave it empty. That way I can fill it for a long dry stretch or just before camp.

May 18, 2022, 5:37 a.m.

Summer mode:

Winter mode (Arrowhead 135):

I love the versatility of a rack & mini panniers. I tried the all-bikepacking-bags thing for a while, but the rack opens up so many more options for strapping weird stuff to the bike.

May 18, 2022, 5:45 a.m.

Posted by: TristanC

I love the versatility of a rack & mini panniers. I tried the all-bikepacking-bags thing for a while, but the rack opens up so many more options for strapping weird stuff to the bike.

Agreed. The key for me is a rack allows full dropper use which is the difference between surviving techy singletrack or having a blast shredding it. It also has the advantage of making the bike a lot more useful when not on tour for a run to the shops or to the post office, etc...

May 18, 2022, 9:38 a.m.

Thanks!  I just noticed the picture of your friend's yellow Rootdown pages back as well.  Good to know you can put one of those racks on a rootdown.

May 18, 2022, 9:38 a.m.

TristanC, I love the detail! :)

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on May 18, 2022, 9:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2022, 9:45 a.m.

Thanks!  I just noticed the picture of your friend's yellow Rootdown pages back as well.  Good to know you can put one of those racks on a rootdown.

You should be able to put an OMM rack [or similar] on any hardtail with a bit of thought.

May 18, 2022, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

That's my current setup for 4-5 day summer tour with good weather. I also carry a 20L backpack, but I try to keep in only partially loaded depending on resupply options on the route. If you want to send me your email by PM I can send you a gear list. There is usually a lot of great quality water around in BC so I don't do anything special for hydration. I carry Pristine tablets and throw one in a bottle as needed. Two bottles = ~1.5L on the bike. I'll often carry a 2L water bag and leave it empty. That way I can fill it for a long dry stretch or just before camp.

Vik, interesting to note this year bar end wise. Seen a few guys adding  old school outer bar ends to their bikepacking rigs. Hell at a recent gravel race saw three guys riding flat bar type gravel bikes with their old bar ends on.

May 20, 2022, 1:19 p.m.

I have a semi-irrational desire to put a King Manything cage on my Chromag.  Will measure seat tube to see if it fits and purchase the King USB mounts to make it happen if there's enough room.  The goal is to carry more water for long day trips as I hate having bladder on my back.

May 20, 2022, 2:20 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Vik, interesting to note this year bar end wise. Seen a few guys adding  old school outer bar ends to their bikepacking rigs. Hell at a recent gravel race saw three guys riding flat bar type gravel bikes with their old bar ends on.

Those inboard bar ends were an experiment. I have removed them. Nothing wrong with trying some bar ends though. It's a cheap way to try out some different hand positions for longer rides. They might not always be the right answer, but the cost/effort is low.

May 23, 2022, 4:25 a.m.

Does this qualify even though it's a Double Hardtail 

Sorry about  the crappy piccy.  I've been told the Yew Tree behind is a few thousand years old.

May 30, 2022, 6:13 p.m.

I like it and I like the tree.  Put some drop bars on it and you have a kick-ass monster-cross bike too.  ;)

June 1, 2022, 11:44 p.m.

Nuggets - I'm tempted to out some drops on it - but the SQ16s are quite nice

June 2, 2022, 1:14 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Endurimil

Those inboard bar ends were an experiment. I have removed them. Nothing wrong with trying some bar ends though. It's a cheap way to try out some different hand positions for longer rides. They might not always be the right answer, but the cost/effort is low.

Ed the  local bottle-picker rocks the bar ends in the middle, does that make them bar middles ?

IME  bar ends on the actual ends of the bars + the rubber band parking brakes  are good for leaning a loaded touring bike against a wall