NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

May 3, 2022, 1:43 p.m.

Posted by: a.funks

I’ve only seen one Marino in the metal which was a couple of years ago - seemed nice and the owner liked it. Your forthcoming one looks great!

I’m completely baffled by quite how smooth the Moxie is to ride - muting the rough, not being slowed by bumps. I’ve changed far too many variables to work out what’s making the bigger differences but I’m guessing there’s a lot working together. For instance vs my previous hardtail we’ve gone:

27.5” to 29”

Aluminium to steel

12 speed to singlespeed

32 to 28 spoke wheels

Flow EX to fairly soft 30mm rims (whatever used to come on the cheapest Levo)

150mm Pike due a service vs new 160mm Lyrik 

Longer wheelbase & chainstays

Would anyone who’s made similar changes individually rather than en masse like to enlighten me as to which stuff matters most?

Tempted to take it on my next uplift trip of rock munching!

I just changed out my Flows for "compliant" carbon wheels, it's astonishing how comparitvely smooth the Flows were. Can't imagine Flows to other aluminum wheels was much of difference?

Went from a Pike to a Lyrik on a couple of bikes, the difference in plushness was surprising. To date Lyrik is still the plushest fork I've ever run. Could partly be that?

I know it's a big category, but aluminum to steel is what I would guess is the biggest change? I have limited A/B experience with this, switched out an aluminum BMX race bike to a similar steel frame, and switched my aluminum commuter out for a steel commuter, but both times the change in how much smoother the ride became was night and day. Bigger than any wheel, fork, bar, grip, etc change that I'd done combined.

------------

@xy9ine 

Outrageous. Had to look. I would have guessed $700usd as their lowest priced steel frame. Made in Peru helps?

May 3, 2022, 3:23 p.m.

Wheel size is probably a bigger factor than frame material. My 27.5 is fun to ride but whenever I switch to my 29, the difference is stark. Spoke count probably doesn't make a huge difference, I wouldn't think. I agree with the huge difference between the Pike and lyric. 

So fork and wheel size. Then frame material, then spoke count.

As for the price on the Marino, I upgraded to Reynolds 725 and custom engraving so about 100$ more or so. I think the matching custom fork will be 120. 100usd for shipping. So frame, fork and shipping around 600usd I think.

May 3, 2022, 7:10 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Wheel size is probably a bigger factor than frame material. My 27.5 is fun to ride but whenever I switch to my 29, the difference is stark. Spoke count probably doesn't make a huge difference, I wouldn't think. I agree with the huge difference between the Pike and lyric. 

So fork and wheel size. Then frame material, then spoke count.

As for the price on the Marino, I upgraded to Reynolds 725 and custom engraving so about 100$ more or so. I think the matching custom fork will be 120. 100usd for shipping. So frame, fork and shipping around 600usd I think.

Am I reading this correctly? That is inane for full custom with a 725 tubeset. 

I fell a lot back in the day riding a steel Xc bike on the shore, would love another fun hard tail do everything bike. The pink one above looks amazing, but this custom bike seems like an amazing deal. Any more details? Thanks!

May 3, 2022, 10:26 p.m.

If I had to make a list in order of priority for ride feel on a hardtail:

1. Design [tubing selection, shape, length, wall thickness, bracing, gussets, etc..]
  2. Frame material
  3. Wheel Size
  4. Wheel Construction/Tires
  5. Fork [Assuming all the options are quality suspension forks]
May 4, 2022, 5:38 p.m.

Posted by: Spandies

Am I reading this correctly? That is inane for full custom with a 725 tubeset. 

I fell a lot back in the day riding a steel Xc bike on the shore, would love another fun hard tail do everything bike. The pink one above looks amazing, but this custom bike seems like an amazing deal. Any more details? Thanks!

Yup. It's very affordable. Can't speak to the quality as I have neither seen nor ridden it yet. I wouldn't expect to get the same customers service as vic describes either. When you email there is between 1 and q4 day delay. Often half your questions are not answered. 

Once you place your order the 14 week time frame goes past without an email. When you check in  they just say to be patient. I ordered mine in October I think. The frame was actually done in around 18-20 weeks. Unfortunately they ran out of tapered steerers and I've been waiting for those to come in.

Overall they seem like a nice bunch putting out a decent product. I'm pretty happy with how it looks based on the pictures. I'll be curious to see how it actually rides - especially given that I made up the geometry myself!

May 6, 2022, 9:51 a.m.

+1 on that Marino’s hotness, great colour combo and fade.

My wife has the same name too so if you ever need to sell just let me know, approval should be easy.

Last edited by: tashi on May 6, 2022, 9:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2022, 8:36 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

+1 on that Marino’s hotness, great colour combo and fade.

My wife has the same name too so if you ever need to sell just let me know, approval should be easy.

Thanks for the props

It is the only bike I own my wife wouldn't let me sell. 

Also, you're name would need to start with an "R" otherwise the chainstay wouldn't make sense.

May 8, 2022, 10:08 p.m.

RAHrider, I think you have just cracked the  N-1 code. Number of bikes less one that lead to divorce. 

Bravo man, bravo.

May 9, 2022, 3:20 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

RAHrider, I think you have just cracked the  N-1 code. Number of bikes less one that lead to divorce. 

Bravo man, bravo.

The N+1 equation has always been balanced by S-1.

May 10, 2022, 7:44 a.m.

Bold move going full custom for a bike your wife won't let you sell RAH! I hope you love it.

May 11, 2022, 2:01 p.m.

Lots of beautiful bikes here!  Will post pix of my Chromag. :)

May 13, 2022, 1:46 p.m.

Any recommendations for decent wheelsets at less than $1,000?  I want to get a new fork for my OG Rootdown and will be going for 15x110 boost for the first time up front.  But would like to get a new rear wheel too as my current wheelset internal width is 21mm and I think it's time to drink the wider rim koolaid.  So my wheelset goals are 28-31mm internal width, front hub 15x110, rear hub 135qr (yes I have an original rootdown with this spacing.)  It seems that everywhere I look online it's 148 boost rear spacing.

I have a feeling I might as well just have wheels built up by some locals (GVRD.)

May 13, 2022, 2:53 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Any recommendations for decent wheelsets at less than $1,000?  I want to get a new fork for my OG Rootdown and will be going for 15x110 boost for the first time up front.  But would like to get a new rear wheel too as my current wheelset internal width is 21mm and I think it's time to drink the wider rim koolaid.  So my wheelset goals are 28-31mm internal width, front hub 15x110, rear hub 135qr (yes I have an original rootdown with this spacing.)  It seems that everywhere I look online it's 148 boost rear spacing.

I have a feeling I might as well just have wheels built up by some locals (GVRD.)

If you're not against ordering parts from overseas, there are really good deals to be had from Germany for DT stuff. You can get 240 or 350 hubs plus EX511 rims together for less than half of what you pay for them locally, then have a good local wheelbuilder build them up for you. I think you could easily build up a super high quality set of wheels for under $1K that way. Haters gonna hate re ordering parts from Germany though.

May 13, 2022, 3:47 p.m.

Thanks that is amazing advice.  I will order from anywhere except Russia lol.

May 13, 2022, 5:42 p.m.

Or if you don't need them to match, the Nukeproof front wheels are appropriate dimensions, tough, and leave room in the budget for better rear options.