NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

April 12, 2022, 8:21 p.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Chromag doesn’t sell rigid bikes to just have them sit around though, am I right?

Only sits when riding the other one. Or one is down for maintenance.

April 12, 2022, 9:14 p.m.

I can’t remember if #dadbod is in or out of style right now but either way you’re on to something. Camelbak is always hungry for another feature to advertise so a new cut of waist strap that hides/accentuates the bod (reversible?!) would be right up their alley.

Just need a good name for the (tm) marketing campaign.

Didn't that used to be the Clydesdale category? Riders about 225 pounds and up for the men.

April 13, 2022, 8:06 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

I can’t remember if #dadbod is in or out of style right now but either way you’re on to something. Camelbak is always hungry for another feature to advertise so a new cut of waist strap that hides/accentuates the bod (reversible?!) would be right up their alley.

Didn't that used to be the Clydesdale category? Riders about 225 pounds and up for the men.

Ugh. As a member of said category I always found this a little simplistic. It made no distinction between tall skinny riders, or big strong dudes versus heavy out of shape dudes. It basically ignores all the relevant aspects of a rider and categorizes solely by body weight. It basically put a 5'9 230lb guy in the same category as a 6'4" 240lb shredder. How is that useful?

The Clydesdale forum on mtbr was basically a weight loss support group - which is fine but hardly inclusive of the whole group. The term came to be synonymous with overweight noobs. Which is also fine. But where is the term for a bigger/taller advanced rider that exist in great number around here?

Last edited by: craw on April 13, 2022, 8:12 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
April 13, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

The Camelbak Shatner

April 13, 2022, 9:24 a.m.

Posted by: DanL

The Camelbak Shatner

To go with the new Sugoi line of relaxed fit lycra?

April 13, 2022, 9:44 a.m.

Posted by: craw

Posted by: Endurimil

Ugh. As a member of said category I always found this a little simplistic. It made no distinction between tall skinny riders, or big strong dudes versus heavy out of shape dudes. It basically ignores all the relevant aspects of a rider and categorizes solely by body weight. It basically put a 5'9 230lb guy in the same category as a 6'4" 240lb shredder. How is that useful?

The Clydesdale forum on mtbr was basically a weight loss support group - which is fine but hardly inclusive of the whole group. The term came to be synonymous with overweight noobs. Which is also fine. But where is the term for a bigger/taller advanced rider that exist in great number around here?

If I recall correctly the whole Clydesdale and Athena cat started from first running then was brought in triathlon. As it was more around acknowledging the disadvantages a 245 pound racer has vs the 175 pound racer. Mind you this was from the time when no internet and less of the current shit about bodyweight and image.  Funny thing is at the gym trained at was a few guys who are Strongman athletes and in that world being a Clydsedale is a good thing. Funny thing is in 2018 when earned the half marathon Ontario series overall in Clydesdale.  Come to the gym after the weekend get asked how it went and when they heard lots good work and so on from guys who can deadlift cars and carry 250 pound rocks across fields.

April 14, 2022, 10:49 a.m.

Not mine. But guy in Sweden riding a Marino HT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsrct9Bsvog

April 19, 2022, 7 a.m.

Swapping from geared HT [760mm bars] to SS HT [780mm bars] recently I smacked my pinky a few times on trees on trails I ride frequently. Nothing major, but it was interesting how my brain had adapted to the narrower bars and selected lines that just cleared the trees. I'm sure a ride or two more on the SS rig and I'll make the adjustment so I just clear the wider bars. They are not overly wide compared to the terrain I ride. I'll just have to be a bit careful. So far the damage has been minor, but my pinkies aren't that tough and a deep enough tree hit can steer me off the trail at speed.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 19, 2022, 7:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2022, 12:59 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Swapping from geared HT [760mm bars] to SS HT [780mm bars] recently I smacked my pinky a few times on trees on trails I ride frequently. Nothing major, but it was interesting how my brain had adapted to the narrower bars and selected lines that just cleared the trees. I'm sure a ride or two more on the SS rig and I'll make the adjustment so I just clear the wider bars. They are not overly wide compared to the terrain I ride. I'll just have to be a bit careful. So far the damage has been minor, but my pinkies aren't that tough and a deep enough tree hit can steer me off the trail at speed.

Hahaha. Yeah be careful with that, it can cause you some serious pain. People always go, well what's the difference between 780 and 800, that just a CM on each side, if you fit with the 780 bar, you will with the 800 (or 760 vs 780), but your brain works so good at analyzing and plotting your course through a tight section, that MM make the difference, not CM. Hope your brain adjusts sooner, rather than later, as you say, pinkies aren't the strongest digits, but they sure can cause a lot of paint and hardship in holding onto the bar if injured.

April 22, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

You're an animal!/\

Geo question: With a hard tail you want a slightly shorter cockpit because the fork sags and lengthens it up, right? Now then what about fully rigid? Is it back to mimicking your full sus numbers? 

Itching for a fully rigid steel 29er.

April 22, 2022, 9:25 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

You're an animal!/\

Geo question: With a hard tail you want a slightly shorter cockpit because the fork sags and lengthens it up, right? Now then what about fully rigid? Is it back to mimicking your full sus numbers? 

Itching for a fully rigid steel 29er.

Marty makes a good argument that riding rigid is much more like riding an FS bike than a hardtail (just slower) and I’m inclined to agree in that you’re not having to adapt to the same extremes of geometry change. 

I find it easy to adapt to riding my V2 with a 120mm fork but if I was building a hardtail to ride that way it would have 1-to-1.5cm less Reach or maybe a mix of a cm less Reach and some extra Stack. I love it rigid but set up with a suspension fork, especially on jankier trails where I’m deep in the travel more, the sagged Reach is longer than ideal, where that same number is great for me on an FS bike.

April 22, 2022, 6:41 p.m.

Ah brilliant info. Thank you🍻 Looking the opposite direction from the super capable hardtails here I suppose.

My Pops has an 80's Kuwahara fully rigid MTB that I love borrowing for some of the original W Van trails, which got me thinking of owning my very own ill equipped MTB. I actually have the bike in my avatar pic, but it's 3 sizes too small and is a wall hanger.

My family does lots of urban tooling around, either just jibbing around the block with the kids on their BMX, or else loading up gear on my bike and heading out to a destination like the beach...which is not the best on a minty wall hanger.

Part of me is thinking of getting yet another dirt jumper just for the fun of it, but kids are young enough that it doesn't take a DJ to keep up with their jumps. Besides when they do want to ride trails a DJ just can't swing it.

On the other hand, taking the full suspension wonder bike out on the trails with the kids sucks the fun out of it for everyone.

Enter the potential fully rigid steel 29er. Maybe SS. Add a short travel fork down the road maybe.

Kona Unit is available. Hopefully I have something to post up here soon to join the party!

Last edited by: Hepcat on April 22, 2022, 6:59 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 22, 2022, 7:08 p.m.

I endorse that idea. Try it for a while, ride in a few different configurations, sell effortlessly if the state of done is reached

April 27, 2022, 3:39 p.m.

Finally! Out with the old:

Zero

And in with the new!

Moxie

First proper ride tomorrow night…

April 27, 2022, 5:38 p.m.

Posted by: a.funks

And in with the new!

First proper ride tomorrow night…

She fine! Welcome to the Pipedream Tribe. :-)