NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

April 6, 2022, 8 p.m.

Posted by: craw

Is there another brand that has done more to legitimize HTs as a daily driver on the gnarliest trails as Chromag? They earned that spot.

Possibly one of the British isles based bike companies.

April 6, 2022, 9:47 p.m.

New frame build has finished! It was booked for shipping this Monday and is now on its way somewhere between Yorkshire UK and Washington state.

Rå bikes .410 size medium with an extra short seat tube. There are some neat little touches on this frame I'm excited for, including "410" cut out of the plate steel seatstay brace and a really compact yoke to get the shortest chainstays I've seen on a 29er.

April 7, 2022, 1:46 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Is there another brand that has done more to legitimize HTs as a daily driver on the gnarliest trails as Chromag? They earned that spot.

Stanton, BTR, Curtis?

It’s pretty location specific, lots of companies have brought great hardtails to their people, it was one of the cool things they could still do until quite recently.

April 7, 2022, 3:55 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Stanton, BTR, Curtis?

It’s pretty location specific, lots of companies have brought great hardtails to their people, it was one of the cool things they could still do until quite recently.

Probably Cotic to be honest, proper 130mm forked hardtails in 2003...

April 7, 2022, 4:51 a.m.

Posted by: eriksg

New frame build has finished! It was booked for shipping this Monday and is now on its way somewhere between Yorkshire UK and Washington state.

Rå bikes .410 size medium with an extra short seat tube. There are some neat little touches on this frame I'm excited for, including "410" cut out of the plate steel seatstay brace and a really compact yoke to get the shortest chainstays I've seen on a 29er.

That looks great. I'm keen to see that built up. Congrats.

April 7, 2022, 7:11 a.m.

Totally. There's definitely a few of those but they didn't do much for HT culture here in BC other than in spirit.

April 7, 2022, 9:55 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

^ I'd consider that for sure.

My Doctahawk purchase was 100% based on wanting to buy a made in Canada frame and in terms of feely goodness it seemed like the right move, but the value of a custom Ti frame holds up too. Maybe that will be the next one for me? Oh man, I could do a fat bike with proper geometry ...

I would like to see a DoctaFat.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3271287/

Eeerily coincidental? Sounds like the person wants Landyachtz to be involved in the frame build

April 7, 2022, 10:16 a.m.

Totally. There's definitely a few of those but they didn't do much for HT culture here in BC other than in spirit.

That is the thing. They all built up as some Brits called it the Hard Core Hardtail all with the same goal but executed to meet what their trails where like. DMR Trailstar evolved to that. And some Brits  have done the Mega Avalanche on a hardtail - believe Billy of Down and Out on A Hardtail fame from Dirt UK did it on a Dialled Bikes Alpine.

April 7, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

I am sadly not up on my hardtail history, but people have been doing stupid things on Kona hardtails for a long time. Anyone have the timelines for Chromag vs. Kona for example?

April 7, 2022, 12:24 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

My Doctahawk purchase was 100% based on wanting to buy a made in Canada frame and in terms of feely goodness it seemed like the right move, but the value of a custom Ti frame holds up too. Maybe that will be the next one for me? Oh man, I could do a fat bike with proper geometry ...

Eeerily coincidental? Sounds like the person wants Landyachtz to be involved in the frame build

So he wants everyone else to help pay for his new bike? Did I mention that I too want a new bike and a trip to Fiji? Should I start a GFM?

Last edited by: craw on April 7, 2022, 12:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 7, 2022, 12:28 p.m.

So he wants everyone else to help pay for his new bike? Did I mention that I too want a new bike and a trip to Fiji? Should I start a GFM?

Whoa, weird coincidence for sure.

Maybe I also need to get into this. Is the market saturated?

April 7, 2022, 2:15 p.m.

I can't see it anymore, but it looked like a kickstarter not a goFundMe

April 7, 2022, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I am sadly not up on my hardtail history, but people have been doing stupid things on Kona hardtails for a long time. Anyone have the timelines for Chromag vs. Kona for example?

Vik, just using Chromag as an example. Half the issue when talking hardtails and things like how they feel, tuning, and so on just looking at Chromag there is alot if changes they have made in many aspects.

Even just looking at my Wideangle prototype which is older then my 2020 Stylus. Let's see Styus is longer in too tube. And despite a longer travel fork on the Stylus the front end is lower then the older Wideangle. 

Tubing wise the 2020 Stylus has bigger tubing used then the 2007 version used. But it doesn't have the seat tube extra tube that connected to the top tube. 

Now I don't know what the weight difference would be between the two. 

April 8, 2022, 10:26 a.m.

I can't see it anymore, but it looked like a kickstarter not a goFundMe

It wasn't presented as him starting a new business producing progressive ti fat bikes using a local partner. It was presented as "oh it turns out that building a custom bike is expensive and I need more money please help".

April 8, 2022, 1:55 p.m.

My mistake, I saw kickstarter in the title for it just skimmed the geo dimensions not the body of the text. You're right,  that is a screwed up request, I would have thought that getting Landyachtz on board with that idea could be a good start but maybe that's just too much work compared to asking people for money.

There's a chromag framed fatbike running surly Clown Shoes (I think from the oval cutout shape) always parked outside at Chromag which really looks the part. 

In the spirit of pictures, I finally got my act together and built up the rootdown with what I had spare and what I could find available. Thanks to everyone on this thread for info and inspiration.  I think the journey is just starting.

RootDown