NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

March 18, 2022, 10:35 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

How's the forge so far? Seems like a great frame on paper.

It's been a lot of fun to ride. When I got my Cotic I was looking for that "long bike" experience and went too far. With the Forge M/L it feels long in the right ways without taking it too far. It's got that supple Steel is Real ride quality I enjoy. With the low BB and long [for me] WB it corners really smoothly like a nice pair of skis. The plush fork, supple frame and almost-Plus tires give it a very comfortable ride. When I have looked at GPS data for trails I ride a bunch it's a bike that feels slower than it really is. It's a great ride all day and tackle any trails that come along bike. It's easy on the body and feels very efficient.

In terms of downsides the BB is quite low. With a 140mm fork and 170mm cranks it's as low as I can ride. If I was tweaking this bike I think a BB 5mm higher would be better, but it's not something I would bother doing anything about and admittedly my bikes tend to have high BBs so I am biased in that direction. The Forge is rated for 140mm-160mm forks so you could raise the BB that way and/or go with shorter cranks/thinner pedals as well.

It's a lovely frame that I can't see ever selling. I'm glad I stumbled on it.

March 18, 2022, 12:18 p.m.

Here's one of the big yellow Chromag Rootdown from the blur of last night...

Last edited by: yardrec on March 18, 2022, 12:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2022, 3:58 p.m.

Posted by: yardrec

Here's one of the big yellow Chromag Rootdown from the blur of last night...

Nice. I'm glad you got out for some darkside fun.

I busted out my lights to help my old man eyes last night. Fully charged they lasted 5 mins before they went out. **sigh** They batteries are around 10 years old so they owe me nothing. I just need to get something sorted before the fall.

March 18, 2022, 4:08 p.m.

I can't remember where we were talking about mounting stuff to a frame without braze ons. I'll just throw this up here since it's frequently HTs that get pressed into service for long rides.

https://bikepacking.com/index/add-cage-mounts-bike/

I'm fine with electrical taping a cage to the frame for a 2nd or 3rd bottle, but if you are not the link provides a bunch of other options for attaching water/cargo to a frame without braze ons.

March 18, 2022, 4:40 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Nice. I'm glad you got out for some darkside fun.

I busted out my lights to help my old man eyes last night. Fully charged they lasted 5 mins before they went out. **sigh** They batteries are around 10 years old so they owe me nothing. I just need to get something sorted before the fall.

What lights do you have Vik?

Last edited by: thaaad on March 18, 2022, 4:40 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2022, 5 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

What lights do you have Vik?

Dinotte Lights XML-4. Although they get updated continually so I assume my head units [I have two] are not as powerful as what you can buy now. I think they will upgrade the LEDs if you want, but I am fine with the head units. So I'd basically need two new batteries. 

https://store.dinottelighting.com/

March 20, 2022, 8:56 p.m.

In terms of downsides the BB is quite low. 

Wow, I checked the geo and that's a super low BB. Do you find it's less responsive in tech stuff, harder to bunny hop etc?

March 21, 2022, 7:06 a.m.

Posted by: Heinous

Wow, I checked the geo and that's a super low BB. Do you find it's less responsive in tech stuff, harder to bunny hop etc?

I have tried a bunch of different hardtail geo options the last few years. More than most people, but still not enough to feel like I have tried all the menu options. In a general sense I'd rate Front Centre and Rear Centre as more important to a bike's agility and playfulness [seems to be what you question is getting at] than BB Height.

The Cotic BFeMAX I had last year had a fairly high BB and was long front and rear. It was certainly not a playful bike. It was a sled. The Pipedream Sirus I am riding now has a high BB and is inches shorter than the Cotic and wants to pop off every trail feature. I suspect that if I dropped the fork on the Sirius from 140mm to 120mm and lowered the BB as a result it would still retain most of its playful character.

Coming at it the other way I can ride the Forge down the trails I am going to find on Van Isle without any limitations that aren't rider skill related. Like all longer bikes I have tried it comes alive with some speed. If I ride it super slow it gets through the features on the trail, but not as trialsy as a shorter bike. OTOH its stability/composure at higher speeds/steeper terrain is nice.

One of the main reasons I got rid of the Cotic was I found the overall ride experience too much sled and not enough shred despite the high BB. The Forge strikes a much better balance [for my size & preference]. If I wanted a more agile version of the Forge I would have bought the Medium size instead of the M/L I am on.

Last edited by: Vikb on March 21, 2022, 1:12 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 21, 2022, 8:33 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

I have tried a bunch of different hardtail geo options the last few years. More than most people, but still not enough to feel like I have tried all the menu options. In a general sense I'd rate Front Centre and Rear Centre as more important to a bike's agility and playfulness [seems to be what you question is getting at] than BB Height.

The Cotic BFeMAX I had last year had a fairly high BB and was long front and rear. It was certainly not a playful bike. It was a sled. The Pipedream Sirus I am riding now has a high BB and is inches shorter than the Cotic and wants to pop off every trail feature. I suspect that if I dropped the fork on the Sirius from 140mm to 120mm and lowered the BB as a result it would still retain most of its playful character.

Coming at it the other way I can ride the Forge down the trails I am going to find on Van Isle without any limitations that aren't rider skill related. Like all longer bikes I have tried it comes alive with some speed. If I ride it super slow it gets through the features on the trail, but not as trialsy as a shorter bike. OTOH its stability/composure at higher speeds/steeper terrain is nice.

One of the main reasons I got rid of the Cotic was I found the overall ride experience too much sled and not enough shred despite the high BB. The Forge strikes a much better balance [for my size & preference]. If I wanted a more agile version of the Forge I would have bought the Medium size instead of the M/L I am on.

I have had a similar experience to Vic. I have two hardtails with identical chainstays, bb's are both about the same with a 50-60mm drop. The difference in ability to manual/bunny hop is all in the front centre (shorter = more fun). Can't comment on cornering as one is 29 and the other 27.5 so it's an unfair comparison.

March 22, 2022, 10:06 a.m.

One or two more rides on this beauty of a bike before my new ride get's here!

March 25, 2022, 2:51 p.m.

Looks interesting

https://chromagbikes.com/collections/29/products/surface-voyager

March 29, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Looks interesting

Really interesting... but really expensive for what it is!

March 29, 2022, 1:42 p.m.

Posted by: yardrec

Posted by: fartymarty

Looks interesting

Really interesting... but really expensive for what it is!

Sure, you can find cheaper frames made overseas or in South America. You'd be hard pressed to find a better priced Vancouver/Canadian made steel frame with this level of detail, at $2,480 CAD for the frame, it isn't a bad value. Primer/Doctahawk/Arcturian are 2K.

March 29, 2022, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Sure, you can find cheaper frames made overseas or in South America. You'd be hard pressed to find a better priced Vancouver/Canadian made steel frame with this level of detail, at $2,480 CAD for the frame, it isn't a bad value. Primer/Doctahawk/Arcturian are 2K.

I don't see the value for a steel production frame. You are basically in custom Canadian built bike territory where you can specify the exact geo you want. I'm of the mind that I want to spend about half that for a production Asian frame and compromise a bit on the geo or pay the same sort of price for a fully custom frame made in Canada/US. This frame occupies that weird no man's land of custom price and with production geo.

That said I know some people will pay extra to ride a Chromag. I was touring with a buddy on a Chromag and I was on my custom Daambuilt. People stopped us to give him props on his sweet Chromag while ignoring me...so brand status can matter depending on your perspective.

March 29, 2022, 10:29 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

I don't see the value for a steel production frame. You are basically in custom Canadian built bike territory where you can specify the exact geo you want. I'm of the mind that I want to spend about half that for a production Asian frame and compromise a bit on the geo or pay the same sort of price for a fully custom frame made in Canada/US. This frame occupies that weird no man's land of custom price and with production geo.

That said I know some people will pay extra to ride a Chromag. I was touring with a buddy on a Chromag and I was on my custom Daambuilt. People stopped us to give him props on his sweet Chromag while ignoring me...so brand status can matter depending on your perspective.

If I were to offer a different opinion. Half the people who get custom frames are more or less copying a chromag or some other production frame or would be just as well on one if it fit them well. I have a primer and if I was to get a custom 29er, it would probably end up almost exactly the same geo. Chromag also has a lot of nice details in their tubesets that you can't get from a custom frame route as the tubes are custom moulded/butted for chromag whereas custom frame builders are working with standard tube sets. Finally, my frame was welded by chris dekerf; Mic Drop. I think I paid 1800 for mine, and of all my bikes, it is the one I have the most faith that it will last the longest. I figure the extra $ are worth it for supporting a canadian welder, hopefully a better made product that will last a lifetime and custom paint. Full custom from a Canadian builder would certainly be more and if I don't need custom geo, why not get a chromag welded by a legend? I have no issue with a frame welded by a Taiwanese legend, but it just doesn't have the same feel to me as I am more familiar with the canadian bike history.

I may take this back after I get my custom Marino. I guess I will see how much a few small adjustments to chromag geo go in terms of improving the ride. In the back of my mind I half expect the chromag will be a better bike because, what the f#$k do I know about bike geometry?