NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Feb. 22, 2022, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Ordered this in October and it looks like it is nearing completion. 

Exciting. Should be fun.

Feb. 23, 2022, 8:11 a.m.

Talk of rigid SS bikes has me a bit fired up. I ordered a Bird 505mm steel fork ~$165USD shipped. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but having it on hand will make some last minute brainstorm project possible.

I also noticed WT makes 10mm & 20mm headset extenders that could make the Bird fork a bit longer if desired. That could be useful. Particularly if I wanted to run the Bird Forge Rigid as it has a low BB.

Feb. 23, 2022, 10:30 p.m.

RAHrider, is that being built by Marino? It looks like that's what it says on the bikecad rendering in the background but I can't quite make it out

In any case it's looking good! Has a whiff of BTR about it in its present raw state :)

Feb. 24, 2022, 8:26 a.m.

Posted by: eriksg

RAHrider, is that being built by Marino? It looks like that's what it says on the bikecad rendering in the background but I can't quite make it out

In any case it's looking good! Has a whiff of BTR about it in its present raw state :)

It is marino. They've been great so far. I went all in with custom engraving, Reynolds tubes and custom geo. It does look very btr but that will be short-lived. Powder coat is soon I hope. I'll send some pre and post build photos once it arrives in Canada.

Feb. 24, 2022, 9:40 p.m.

I have my own frame build update to share now. I ordered a Rå Bikes .410 hardtail for my wife, who has been riding my old Specialized from 10+ years ago. When I got a new bike after a decade, I experienced such an increase in confidence afforded by modern geo, and I'm hoping it'll be the same for her.

We're close enough to the same height I'll be able to ride it (albeit with a swap to wider bars) so I'll post a review/comparison when it is eventually built up. It's going to take a little bit to get all the parts together without breaking the bank, since the frame was a big portion of the build budget I had planned.

Ralph (Rafi) at Rå has been awesome to work with! He clearly knows a lot and has been patient with my questions and back-and-forth.

The coordinates engraved on the BB are an important place for us as a couple. :) We're really stoked, and looking forward to seeing it in paint pretty soon.

Feb. 25, 2022, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Talk of rigid SS bikes has me a bit fired up. I ordered a Bird 505mm steel fork ~$165USD shipped. I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but having it on hand will make some last minute brainstorm project possible.

I also noticed WT makes 10mm & 20mm headset extenders that could make the Bird fork a bit longer if desired. That could be useful. Particularly if I wanted to run the Bird Forge Rigid as it has a low BB.

that Wolf Tooth extender looks like a good way to flare out a head tube.

Feb. 28, 2022, 1:51 a.m.

That yoke is adorable.

The more bike's I've owned the more sensitive I become to what I really want.

My Marino is just heavy. Good bike and, like you said, great value and experience generally but now I know I'd definitely pay a bit extra if they had butted tubes...

Enjoy it. Nothing quite like riding a bike you've designed.

Last edited by: GiveitsomeWelly on Feb. 28, 2022, 2 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 28, 2022, 1:55 p.m.

Coming soon....

Feb. 28, 2022, 2 p.m.

Posted by: GiveitsomeWelly

That yoke is adorable.

The more bike's I've owned the more sensitive I become to what I really want.

My Marino is just heavy. Good bike and, like you said, great value and experience generally but now I know I'd definitely pay a bit extra if they had butted tubes...

Enjoy it. Nothing quite like riding a bike you've designed.

I bought the frame for my anniversary so I thought some custom engraving would make it special. I have the headtube engraved as well - hopefully that works out as well as it did in my head. I got the Reynolds 725 tubes for an extra 60 - which I believe is butted. I am just hoping it ends up a reasonable weight. Definitely not expecting it to be a lightweight. Looking forward to trying out my creation - I am hoping I will see it in the next 4 weeks or so!

@ErikSG That Ra looks incredible. Make sure you post some built up photos. I'm pretty jealous that you can share bikes with your wife. I'd be in heaven if I could ride my wife's bikes.

March 1, 2022, 8:14 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

That's been high on my want list for the last month. I'd love to hear your impression of it once it arrives.

March 1, 2022, 10:30 a.m.

I am really happy with my Kona Process but I got an old 26" Stylus kicking around which has not seen that much action the last year - so right now I am thinking of turning it into a kind of indoor park/skate park/dirt jump hardtail.....some background, I do not have the money to get even a used DJ bike.

Thought about putting some maxxis dht on it, get rid of the dropper post and change to single speed with a chain tensioner thingy. Should be fun. 

Anybody of you guys ever done that? Or do you know some people who did it? Curious what you are thinking....

March 1, 2022, 8:36 p.m.

I have a ~2006 DMR Trailstar which has been built up in all the different guises since then. Build yourself a SS play bike and have fun, it's a great time.

March 2, 2022, 10:03 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

the Reynolds 725 tubes for an extra 60 - which I believe is butted. I am just hoping it ends up a reasonable weight. Definitely not expecting it to be a lightweight. 

Please let us know about the final frame weight. When I had the itch to order up a Marino, I was curious about the cost/benefit of upgrading to the Reynolds. Ultimately, the moment of spontaneity passed and I made some tweaks to my NS that scratched my itch.

I was watching HT party's review on the RSD RS291--Holy 8.3lbs for a hardtail frame (listed at 6.5lbs by RSD)...

March 3, 2022, 9:25 a.m.

Since we were talking longer rigid forks here is one someone pointed me to. Carbon, 500m A2C, gear zits and 195 UK Pounds.

https://alpkit.com/products/pathfinder

I'm not against carbon under all circumstances, but if there are good options for a steel fork I'd prefer that.

March 3, 2022, 11:09 a.m.

Marino is charging me 100 for a custom fork. Not sure how much they would charge for shipping of a fork, but even if it was 50 shipping, that would be a custom length, custom offset, custom bolt on capability, custom paint for 150 USD.