NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Jan. 21, 2022, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Hey, does anyone remember the name of that frame builder Perry mentioned  last year where you could select your build online and they were ridiculously cheap for what you got?

Sounds like Marino.

https://www.marinobike.com/

Jan. 21, 2022, 5:10 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Hey, does anyone remember the name of that frame builder Perry mentioned  last year where you could select your build online and they were ridiculously cheap for what you got?

Sounds like Marino.

Similar, but not the same - thanks tho! The one I'm thinking of had a different order page where it showed a frame and measurement layouts and you could select the measurements/specs you wanted.

Jan. 21, 2022, 5:15 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: squidfreak58

N the midwestern US 

Whereabouts?

Bloomington, IN. Pretty close to a good trail network in Brown County State Park and a few other things, but it's pretty much all xc.

Jan. 21, 2022, 5:27 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

You should shorten the travel on that thing and mount a 27.5 front wheel!

I could probably get away with dropping the stanchions down in the clamps a little bit. Wouldn't that be a sight? 27.5 in the front and 24 in the rear.

Jan. 21, 2022, 8:12 p.m.

Not quite the North Shore here in the midwestern US but I built up this custom Marino to make the most of the trails around here (and the rigid/SS-ness of it keeps everything feeling a bit bigger). FWIW, the wait time was super long but Marino is a great option if you want a custom frame for cheap. Also, yes one of my motivations for going custom was to keep the wheelset from my old-ass IRO singlespeed 29er.

Looks like a lot of fun. When did you order yours? I ordered an almost identical setup right down to a pink fade, rigid fork and sliding dropouts! Currently 13 weeks....supposedly going into production. How is the quality? Welds look OK? I invested in Reynolds tubing and custom cnc headtube.

Jan. 21, 2022, 9:16 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Not quite the North Shore here in the midwestern US but I built up this custom Marino to make the most of the trails around here (and the rigid/SS-ness of it keeps everything feeling a bit bigger). FWIW, the wait time was super long but Marino is a great option if you want a custom frame for cheap. Also, yes one of my motivations for going custom was to keep the wheelset from my old-ass IRO singlespeed 29er.

Looks like a lot of fun. When did you order yours? I ordered an almost identical setup right down to a pink fade, rigid fork and sliding dropouts! Currently 13 weeks....supposedly going into production. How is the quality? Welds look OK? I invested in Reynolds tubing and custom cnc headtube.

In my case, I think I approved the final version late last January, didn't get the bike until July. In my case, they had to cnc the dropout inserts themselves because of supply chain stuff. Hopefully they'll have built up a stock of those by this point so that won't add time. Welds seem good and I was expecting a boat anchor but it's lighter than expected.

Jan. 21, 2022, 9:46 p.m.

Ok, so I have to give a warning for this pic.

It may be more awesome than some of you can handle.

Others may need to go and grab some paper towels.

Test rides can be booked by calling 1-800-GRT-RIDE

Shouldn't this be the start of the Retro Grouch Hardtail Thread?

Jan. 21, 2022, 10:20 p.m.

Sounds like Marino.

Similar, but not the same - thanks tho! The one I'm thinking of had a different order page where it showed a frame and measurement layouts and you could select the measurements/specs you wanted.

pretty sure that was marino? here's the custom frame page:

https://www.marinobike.com/product/custom-hardtail-mtb-bike-frame/

also: god damn, that's (still) dirt cheap. if i were in the market for a hardtail...

Jan. 22, 2022, 7:30 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Ok, so I have to give a warning for this pic.

It may be more awesome than some of you can handle.

Others may need to go and grab some paper towels.

Test rides can be booked by calling 1-800-GRT-RIDE

Shouldn't this be the start of the Retro Grouch Hardtail Thread?

Ya we need a retro thread ‘round here, my chromed aluminum Yukon should be ready soon…

Jan. 22, 2022, 11:46 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

In my case, I think I approved the final version late last January, didn't get the bike until July. In my case, they had to cnc the dropout inserts themselves because of supply chain stuff. Hopefully they'll have built up a stock of those by this point so that won't add time. Welds seem good and I was expecting a boat anchor but it's lighter than expected.

It sounds like the overall bike met your expectations - glad to hear that. Which tubeset did you go with? One last question, do you remember which colours you chose? 

Jan. 22, 2022, 12:12 p.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

Sounds like Marino.

also: god damn, that's (still) dirt cheap. if i were in the market for a hardtail...

Has anyone got experience with that Cabala frame? Free international shipping on top is a good deal

Jan. 22, 2022, 3:54 p.m.

Posted by: DanL

Posted by: xy9ine

Sounds like Marino.

Has anyone got experience with that Cabala frame? Free international shipping on top is a good deal

I was looking at their prefab frames thinking about getting 2 to save on shipping. They do this funny thing where they use the same frame for 142 or 148 rear spacing. I suspect they make the frame 145 and you just spread or squeeze it? Probably works fine but something about that philosophy turned me off but I also full well know that my custom Marino I am waiting for with 148 rear spacing may measure 145 when I get it ;)

Jan. 23, 2022, 7:25 a.m.

Chromag Samurai Ssp 2

One of probably only a handful purpose-built Chromag Samurai Singlespeed. I'm glad I managed to get mine before they officially discontinued their 27.5" classic.

Chromag Samurai Ssp 1

It's been quite a test of patience for the fine folks at Chromag to work with me, I suspect. But it turned out exactly as intended.

This one rips like a sharp knife in a modern trailbike sense and yet to me still embodies the look and feel of a classic old school bike.

Chromag Samurai Ssp 3

Looking forward to many more rides in season no.3.

Last edited by: allride.now on Jan. 23, 2022, 7:32 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 23, 2022, 8:17 a.m.

Posted by: allride.now

One of probably only a handful purpose-built Chromag Samurai Singlespeed. I'm glad I managed to get mine before they officially discontinued their 27.5" classic.

It's been quite a test of patience for the fine folks at Chromag to work with me, I suspect. But it turned out exactly as intended.

This one rips like a sharp knife in a modern trailbike sense and yet to me still embodies the look and feel of a classic old school bike.

Looking forward to many more rides in season no.3.

Steel. SS. Rigid post and action shot! I think you win today in this thread.   Nice ride. :-)

Jan. 23, 2022, 11:24 a.m.

Photo from fall of Mistress Mk2a2 aka Wideangle and Mistress Mk1a3 aka Stylus. The Wideangle is actually one of the handful of prototypes of the Wideangle.