NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Jan. 10, 2022, 6:16 a.m.

Posted by: stinhambo

Hi all, I didn't even realise NSMB had a forum let alone a hardtail thread!

Welcome! Nice looking ride. :-)

Jan. 10, 2022, 12:39 p.m.

Posted by: GiveitsomeWelly

2015 NS Surge clown bike

So, thanks to somebody's helpful tips on uploading photos, here's my hardtail.

It's most definitely not new this year. I've had from new since 2015 and it's been in many iterations.

26"/32mm stanchions, 27.5"/35mm stanchions, geared (never more than 10 cogs), SS and it's been in it's current guise since early 2021... 32:18 gearing, Surly Krampus fork, 69er with a plus front tyre. Mismatched brakes (Deore left, Guide rear). I can't let go of the dropper even though the extra cable hurts my 'simplicity' aesthetic....

I love the adhoc-ness of it. It's surprisingly capable if obviously quite rattly...

Did a pairs 6 hour 'race' a couple of months back and managed 42ish km on it (despite taking most of the following week to recover, ouch).

I'd had a Marino HT made for me a year ago with more modern geo (450 r, 425cs, 64hta, 76sta etc) but actually found I preferred the shorter geo of the Surge in a hardtail.

My other bike is a 140mm travel Marino fully that I'm loving for everything that would be more of a handful for the SSSurge.

Cheers

Love this ride. Looks rad. I can only assume it's really fun to ride?

I ordered a Marino last year and am just waiting for it to complete. How long did your's take? Are you happy with the quality? Just curious what it will look like when it finally arrives as I've never seen one in real life.....

Jan. 10, 2022, 2:13 p.m.

Got out for a ride on the rigid hardtail yesterday... going back to SS soon...

Jan. 10, 2022, 4 p.m.

Posted by: yardrec

Where I that photo taken, reminds me of powell river for some reason

Jan. 10, 2022, 6 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: stinhambo

Hi all, I didn't even realise NSMB had a forum let alone a hardtail thread!

Welcome! Nice looking ride. :-)

Thank you :)

Jan. 10, 2022, 6:18 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Or Ngaruahoe? Taranaki?

Jan. 10, 2022, 6:49 p.m.

2015 NS Surge clown bike

It's most definitely not new this year. I've had from new since 2015 and it's been in many iterations.

26"/32mm stanchions, 27.5"/35mm stanchions, geared (never more than 10 cogs), SS and it's been in it's current guise since early 2021... 32:18 gearing, Surly Krampus fork, 69er with a plus front tyre. Mismatched brakes (Deore left, Guide rear). I can't let go of the dropper even though the extra cable hurts my 'simplicity' aesthetic....

I love the adhoc-ness of it. It's surprisingly capable if obviously quite rattly...

Did a pairs 6 hour 'race' a couple of months back and managed 42ish km on it (despite taking most of the following week to recover, ouch).

I'd had a Marino HT made for me a year ago with more modern geo (450 r, 425cs, 64hta, 76sta etc) but actually found I preferred the shorter geo of the Surge in a hardtail.

My other bike is a 140mm travel Marino fully that I'm loving for everything that would be more of a handful for the SSSurge.

Cheers

Love this ride. Looks rad. I can only assume it's really fun to ride?

I ordered a Marino last year and am just waiting for it to complete. How long did your's take? Are you happy with the quality? Just curious what it will look like when it finally arrives as I've never seen one in real life.....

It is that. Fun I mean. Just a different kind haha. 

Certainly rattly but I like to be reminded of where we all came from. I'm thinking of putting an angleset in it to lengthen the wheel base slightly and the lower front end will be a bonus. 

I'm positive it's not the last iteration it'll see (I might put a boinger up front at some point) but it'll remain a single speed I think. Definitely keeps me honest. 

My Marino was surprisingly well finished. All the tolerances were great. I guess the review searches found are still mostly from when the company was still figuring everything out. 

I think it was nice but have ended up with the fully version so there is more variety in what I ask of each of my two bikes. 

I ordered my hardtail frame in May of 2020 so peak Covid-horrible-ness and the estimate they gave me was only a week over. That was including them having to continually adjust how they freighted their deliveries due to Covid moving the goal posts all the time. 

Really good I reckon.

Jan. 12, 2022, 4:12 a.m.

It's gotta be Taranaki in the distance as there's nothing else around it.  Where was the photo taken from?

Jan. 12, 2022, 10:43 a.m.

2015 NS Surge clown bike

Cheers

Nodding, I give it 1+ Amajor.

Jan. 12, 2022, 11:31 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Or Ngaruahoe? Taranaki?

Rocky Point in Portland, OR. That's Mt. Hood in the distance. It was a 5 mountain peak kind of day.

Last edited by: yardrec on Jan. 12, 2022, 11:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 12, 2022, 1:36 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Or Ngaruahoe? Taranaki?

Rocky Point in Portland, OR. That's Mt. Hood in the distance. It was a 5 mountain peak kind of day.

Portland, should have known it by the bars and frame bag.

Nice shot/nice ride.

Jan. 12, 2022, 2:51 p.m.

Haha.. I should grow a beard and make some coffee outside. It was a nice day.

All and all, I was surprised at how capable the 71.5 HTA did on the super steep stuff there. Likely MUCH slower than the slacked 63.5 HTA Rootdown, but it was a great day to be outside.

Jan. 12, 2022, 8:05 p.m.

Liking the amount of rigid forks in here!

Pic from last spring on my favourite “gravel” loop in my neighbourhood. I’ve changed a few things since then but it’s still got skinny 29” tires, 2x10 etc. I think I might pull the wheels apart and lace up a new set of wheels with wider rims so I can run something like a 29x2.6 tire

Edit, attachment didn’t work, I’ll try again

Last edited by: t_w on Jan. 12, 2022, 8:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 12, 2022, 8:53 p.m.

Never mind, I keep getting an internal server error.  I’ll just crawl back under my rock now

Last edited by: t_w on Jan. 12, 2022, 8:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 13, 2022, 5:07 p.m.

I did some recon at Cumby this morning. Pretty much the same options as the last few times. Lower trails in the trees were running well. Trails were mostly snow covered. This dirt was the exception not the rule.

Snow was wet and heavy. Rideable in a lot of areas, but kind of on the edge so you had to bring your A game to keep moving. Felt great when I nailed it.

I did a few laps. The riding got better with some idea of what to expect next so I could setup for it.

A NSMB forum member [and his sweet Docta!] was passing through Comox so we meet up at the NE Woods for a ride this afternoon. Trails there are 100% dirt. There is some water collecting in low spots, but for the most part trails are running really well. I'm super impressed with how well they are draining given the combined water load from all that snow and the heavy rains the last few days.

I tried using hiking gaiters over my [mostly] waterproof MTB shoes and pants. Worked really well. No issues while riding and kept my shoes/socks/lower legs dry/clean.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 13, 2022, 5:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.