NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Jan. 4, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

Posted by: PowellRiviera

Thanks Vic

No problem. I've seen quite a few docta's the last few days on various sites. Nice to see so many of them got out into the wild to shred. I remember when they were first released minds were blown [including my own] and it seemed super niche, but Chromag knew what they were doing. Lots of people are riding them and loving them.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 4, 2022, 9 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 4, 2022, 8:58 a.m.

Posted by: PowellRiviera

i also cannot for the life of me figure out how to post a photo.

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20438/

Here's the steps to add a photo to your forum post.

1. Upload your photo somewhere. In your case, you're using NSMB.com and thus your photo is at https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20438.
  2. On the right side of that page, there are options for Small, Medium, Large, etc. versions of your photo.

3. Click one of those links and you end up at the image source. For example, here's the link to your Large-sized photo.

4. Copy and paste that link (it will have .jpg at the end) into your post using the Insert image button (it features a little image icon). Put the link into the URL form field and then hit Confirm.
  5. This will insert your photo directly into your post.

Geof

Jan. 4, 2022, 9:07 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: RAHrider

Not sure I'd take any geo tips from someone with that many headset spacers ;)

Docta in photo is not the one ridden by Clark who is providing design comments. That said I 100% sympathize with folks doing what they have to in order to ride a MTB comfortably. I'd make just about every headtube I see on a production frame 50+mm longer if I could. Since I don't want to go custom every time I buy a frame using spacers and a high rise bar is the other alternative open to me.

I think this gives rise to the bigger question of why 1% folks insist on going along with the time-honoured MTB tradition of saying that everyone should ride the same stuff. Clearly that isn't true. Most design choices are aimed for the convenience of manufacture, especially when we're talking about XXL or XS stuff. Bigger bikes don't have more stack because they want that size to appeal to a wider range of folks. Bikes don't get size-specific chainstays because that's easier to manufacture. Short chainstays make 29ers ride in a way that's more convenient and "playful" for people in the middle of the bell curve and ironically make them ride poorly for the one size category that could really suit 29ers. If you're a weird size you should get a custom bike. And a Doctahawk frame costs custom money so why not? Because mountain bikers need to fit in. They need their Tacomas and recognizable models for parking lot cred not some bizarre one-off thing. Mountain bike culture isn't about being special, not like how it used to be.

Jan. 4, 2022, 10:29 a.m.

Finally got around to uploading a shot of my Moxie. I primarily bought the frame as a winter shredder and chose the Moxie in particular as;

1. it was available,

and 

2. all my parts fit on it...

But have been super impressed with the performance and it may stay in the stable through the summer now as well.

Jan. 4, 2022, 1:01 p.m.

Here's my hardtail that I'll be riding into 22 and hopefully well beyond. It's a Cotic SolarisMax with a 120mm z2, built fairly sturdy with no carbon anywhere and a 200mm PNW dropper. I've since swapped out the minions for a Continental der Baron/der Kaiser combo and I'm enjoying it so far.

Big thanks for the photo upload walkthrough.

Jan. 4, 2022, 4:07 p.m.

Posted by: craw

I think this gives rise to the bigger question of why 1% folks insist on going along with the time-honoured MTB tradition of saying that everyone should ride the same stuff. Clearly that isn't true. Most design choices are aimed for the convenience of manufacture, especially when we're talking about XXL or XS stuff. Bigger bikes don't have more stack because they want that size to appeal to a wider range of folks. Bikes don't get size-specific chainstays because that's easier to manufacture. Short chainstays make 29ers ride in a way that's more convenient and "playful" for people in the middle of the bell curve and ironically make them ride poorly for the one size category that could really suit 29ers. If you're a weird size you should get a custom bike. And a Doctahawk frame costs custom money so why not? Because mountain bikers need to fit in. They need their Tacomas and recognizable models for parking lot cred not some bizarre one-off thing. Mountain bike culture isn't about being special, not like how it used to be.

Your right that people at the far end of the size spectrum looking for a hardtail would be better off going custom. You are also right that for some/a lot of people the parking lot cred of a Chromag is worth a bunch of sacrifices in other areas. Does it make sense? in Vulcan logic terms....no, but people are social animals and fashion in mountain biking is nothing new. I can't recall a time when having the right "look" or "brands" wasn't culturally rewarded in the shred community.

At least for folks that are inclined to look beyond popular brands there are lots of custom options from the lower cost Marino/China direct stuff to smaller non-famous local builders and then the rock star folks if you have the time/$$.

I've got lots of long-term rider friends that could benefit from looking at non-mainstream options, but I've given up on trying to point them in that direction. If the bike isn't sold complete at a LBS they aren't interested and that's okay.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 4, 2022, 4:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 4, 2022, 4:15 p.m.

I decided to be a bit of a goofball toss out common sense by buying into a dying tire size and a conservative hardtail trail bike and do this Arcturian build. I am on the east coast but take summer refuge in the Sea to Sky. This build has been a long time coming and delivered for a first ride yesterday.

That was a long 7-month wait. The color, electric grape, turned out brilliantly. It has its first taste of dirt (frozen, delicious). It chewed up the New England tech and the silly 3.0 rubber are the tricky bit of breaking into correct PSI, they’re Minions and predictable but with CushCore and 3.0 tires will take a while to get perfect traction/cornering formula . The super slack HtA on a Hardtail plus the mongo size fork, no issues. Chainstays plus the tire size mean the wheelbase eats the 1up rack real estate but feels playful on the trail

More to come!

Last edited by: mrt on Jan. 4, 2022, 4:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar
Jan. 4, 2022, 4:53 p.m.

Posted by: mrt

I decided to be a bit of a goofball toss out common sense by buying into a dying tire size and a conservative hardtail trail bike and do this Arcturian build. I am on the east coast but take summer refuge in the Sea to Sky. This build has been a long time coming and delivered for a first ride yesterday.

That was a long 7-month wait. The color, electric grape, turned out brilliantly. It has its first taste of dirt (frozen, delicious). It chewed up the New England tech and the silly 3.0 rubber are the tricky bit of breaking into correct PSI, they’re Minions and predictable but with CushCore and 3.0 tires will take a while to get perfect traction/cornering formula . The super slack HtA on a Hardtail plus the mongo size fork, no issues. Chainstays plus the tire size mean the wheelbase eats the 1up rack real estate but feels playful on the trail

More to come!

Love the purple and gold. Great looking bike. I've never tried the +tires. Is that something you have used before or is this a first endeavour?

Jan. 4, 2022, 5:10 p.m.

Long time reader, first time poster here.  Thanks to everyone for the posts over the years, I have really enjoyed them.

I wanted to share my Chromag Doctahawk, which I picked up this summer lightly used from one of their employees (thanks Tim!).  I rode a Honzo ESD for most of the pandemic, which opened my eyes to how much I enjoy riding modern hardtails.  I couldn't quite get along with the steep ST though, and sold it to start searching for a Chromag.  Ended up with this frame, and built it up myself.  Maybe I drank the Chromag kool-aid, but I get along better with this bike than any other in the past ~20 years of riding and I see this as a lifer.

It's built up on Chris King hubs, a 160mm 38 w/ 51mm offset, Wolftooth -1 degree angleset, BikeYoke Revive dropper, SLX brakes and drivetrain, and Grid Gravity 2.6 tires.  

I am just starting a single speed experiment with it (my first time giving that a go), so would be interested to hear of others' setups on hardtails without sliders.  

Jan. 4, 2022, 5:21 p.m.

I love the two colour finish on that Docta. How much different do you find the STA vs. the ESD? They are both pretty similarly steep on paper.

Jan. 4, 2022, 6:20 p.m.

I’m singlespeed curious for my Doctahawk too! Something like a Singleator? I think I have one in a parts box somewhere …

Oh man it will be a weird bike if I did that.

Last edited by: mrbrett on Jan. 4, 2022, 6:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 4, 2022, 6:23 p.m.

I had a Surly Ice Cream Truck for a couple winters, but hated the geometry (and the bluto) and the constant flat tires like every other ride (no inserts).

I loved the grip and tech climbing that came with the fats… in snow and on trail.  I also have a singlespeed hardtail that is going on 12 years old and wanted something newer geo as an alternative to full squish for aggressive or longer trail riding, ergo lets try the Arcturian.

Hoping to put a bit more saddle time on it this week, I have it tubeless with Cush Core so fingers crossed I can lock down the magic psi.

Last edited by: mrt on Jan. 4, 2022, 6:26 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 4, 2022, 6:25 p.m.

@mrt Stunning bike.

Jan. 4, 2022, 7 p.m.

Great start to the '22 hardtail thread!  Love the Docta's and the Arcturian, sweet rigs!

Possibly influenced by certain NSMB articles over the years, I decided to try something a bit different this year.  I've had rigid bikes before (Surly Karate Monkey, Salsa Fargo) but never converted any of my modern hardtails.  

I've been kinda missing having a rigid bike in the fold, especially now in the wet/sloppy months and also I now have a second bike that suits me better on the rowdier trails so the Chromag is now mostly used for quick lunch rides and after work loops with the dog(s).  I've been keeping an eye out for a rigid fork that would fit my Chromag Surface which means min. 500mm axle to crown to not alter geometry too much.  I came across a deal on Mone fork and bars on that other site, and decided to give those a try.  It's a bit of a klunker look which I rather enjoy:

The fork is the La Roca tapered fork with a 502mm axle to crown and boost spacing, so it's a pretty good fit for this bike.  I'm getting used to the large gap between tire and fork, but a bigger tire may be in order here..

The bars are the Oddmone bars, 22.2mm diameter with a 75mm rise and 15 degree sweep.  I was already running bars with a 45mm rise and 16 degree sweep but these feel super comfy and put me in a good spot.

I went out for a quick shakedown ride and had a blast!  There's a bit of spring/flex to the bi-plane fork which takes the edge off but there's no mistaking you're on a rigid bike.  Probably will throw an insert in the front so I can run lower pressures.  I'll run this setup for a while to see how we get along, for now I'm pretty stoked and it definitely helps to keep the mellow trails spicy :)  

Side note: I know this is not the Radavist, but I figured the hardtail crowd would appreciate a little tinkering with bikes ;)

Jan. 4, 2022, 7:01 p.m.

Posted by: mrt

I had a Surly Ice Cream Truck for a couple winters, but hated the geometry (and the bluto) and the constant flat tires like every other ride (no inserts).

I loved the grip and tech climbing that came with the fats… in snow and on trail. I also have a singlespeed hardtail that is going on 12 years old and wanted something newer geo as an alternative to full squish for aggressive or longer trail riding, ergo lets try the Arcturian.

Hoping to put a bit more saddle time on it this week, I have it tubeless with Cush Core so fingers crossed I can lock down the magic psi.

Good to see another Arcturian out there!

Re. tire pressures, I ran my bike with the stock 3.0 Minions and 29+ Cushcore front and rear for a good while. I found 15-16psi up front and around 18 in the rear worked well. Any softer and the bike would start to feel like a trampoline. As you alluded to on your first post, I'd stock up on 29+ tires if you want to keep the bike set up like that. Personally I find the 3" Bontrager SE4 tire significantly better than the stock Minions.

I had a genuine LOL moment when I put my bike on a scale (with EDC pump, multitool and I think a half full water bottle....) and it weighed in at 38lb.

Shortly after I cracked the rear rim so put the bike on a bit of a diet, building a standard 29er rear wheel, removing the front Cushcore and replacing the rear with a Tannus and adding a OneUp bar. It's lost a little comfort in the rear but not to the point of getting beaten up in the Park. With a 70+mm bottom bracket drop the pedals now drag along the floor with the smaller rear wheel ha ha.

If the 29+ wheels don't work out for you, you could probably just run 29er wheels and a 180mm air piston in the fork to raise the BB again, and pretty well turn the bike into a Doctahawk. The seat tube angle is so steep and reach long that I don't think it would screw up the geometry.

Last edited by: trumpstinyhands on Jan. 4, 2022, 7:03 p.m., edited 1 time in total.