NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Jan. 1, 2022, 1:09 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Maybe the Voodoo could be turned into a town bike or gravel-esque bike?

Thanks!

Yes that could work if I don't manage to sell it for a decent price. It's fully decked out with CK headset, RS Revelation coil, DT240/Ringlé Abbah wheelset, Middleburn crank, XO.1 10sp, Thomson stem, Carbon bar,  Gravity Dropper Turbo LP, etc. Really a stunning bike. 

On the otherhand, we have several bikes already (4 mtb, 2 road, 2 BMX, 1 beater town bike) and I don't really have the space for more. Also, I wouldn't mind not having 26" bikes and non-boost mtb in the fleet in a couple of years. As much as I am attached to the Voodoo, it may be better to move on if I can find another home for it. We'll see how it goes. :)

Jan. 1, 2022, 3:38 p.m.

I'm so angry that I sold my Wideangle :/

Jan. 1, 2022, 5 p.m.

Posted by: trumpstinyhands

I can't figure out how to post photos on here, but here's my Chromag on BC's:

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20430/

Looks like a fun bike.

Jan. 1, 2022, 5:02 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Most people are still not that stoked about hardtails. Maybe you could score a used one at a good price?

Jan. 1, 2022, 6:41 p.m.

Posted by: FlipSide

I've been a lurker in the 20XX Hardtail Threads every year, but this year I should be able to contribute! :)

I have a Honzo ESD frameset on the way to replace my old Voodoo Bizango on 26". The Voodoo is an amazing bike to look at, filled with memories and loaded with some of the best components I've accumulated in the past 20 years...but the reality is that its geometry is from another era and it doesn't really fulfill its intended purpose of being a second bike anymore. It's OK on mellow trails for family rides, but the steep head angle and QR fork is no fun on the actual trails I like to ride. Also, I like being able to swap parts between bikes, which I can't do at the moment.

I'm in no rush to build the ESD. Hopefully, I'll be able to find the missing parts in the next few months to finish the build. :)

You have got me super curious what this 20 year old bike looks like. Photo?

What are you going to do with the Voodoo? Beer bike?

Jan. 1, 2022, 7:15 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

https://www.instagram.com/aproulx0/p/CKriki8hXHM

The frame was bought new in 2011, but it has parts that are nearly 20 years old (I purchased the Ringlé Rear hub in 2003).

My favorite things about it are the sexy curves of the frame, the sound of the Ringlé Abbah DH rear hub, the Middleburn RS7 cranks and the Chris King headset.

Yes, a beer/town/gravel bike is a definite possibility.

I don't really care that much about my expensive full suspension bikes. They're just (awesome) tools that get used until it's time to replace them for something better. I find that a nice hardtail is something else and I find it harder to get rid of it. 🙂

Last edited by: FlipSide on Jan. 1, 2022, 9:51 p.m., edited 5 times in total.
Jan. 1, 2022, 7:46 p.m.

Most people are still not that stoked about hardtails. Maybe you could score a used one at a good price?

I sold it to buy a Torrent which I currently still have, it's just not doing it the same way that bike did :(

Jan. 1, 2022, 8:43 p.m.

Kona Exlosif

I am still have this as my hardtail in 2022.  I am seriously thinking of mulletizing it when I find a fork that I like.  Current set-up is with 160mm in the front.  I am looking to get a 130mm fork with a 29" wheel.

Super fun bike.

Jan. 1, 2022, 10:18 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I recommended you not to sell that bike ;)

29er hardtails are great but it is nothing like a 27.5.

Jan. 1, 2022, 10:24 p.m.

Posted by: FlipSide

https://www.instagram.com/aproulx0/p/CKriki8hXHM

The frame was bought new in 2011, but it has parts that are nearly 20 years old (I purchased the Ringlé Rear hub in 2003).

My favorite things about it are the sexy curves of the frame, the sound of the Ringlé Abbah DH rear hub, the Middleburn RS7 cranks and the Chris King headset.

Yes, a beer/town/gravel bike is a definite possibility.

I don't really care that much about my expensive full suspension bikes. They're just (awesome) tools that get used until it's time to replace them for something better. I find that a nice hardtail is something else and I find it harder to get rid of it. 🙂

That is a nice looking rig. If you decide to get rid of it I know a great home. You could rebuild the wheels with 27.5 rims and make it a pretty awesome gravel bike. Drop bar would be another option. I turned my surley into a gravel bike, great decision for me.

Last edited by: RAHrider on Jan. 1, 2022, 10:25 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2022, 6:37 a.m.

I sold it to buy a Torrent which I currently still have, it's just not doing it the same way that bike did :(

Got it. Is the Torrent mullet-able?

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 2, 2022, 6:38 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2022, 7:08 a.m.

BTW - if anyone is looking for a nice hardtail frame to throw some parts on I have a Large Cotic BFeMAX [frame only] I'm selling. I wrapped it with protective tape when I built it up. No damage. It's the current geo/frame spec. PM me if you are interested. 

Great bike, but just a bit too long for me. I should have ordered the Medium.

PB Ad ---> https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3234988/

Cotic Product Page ---> https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFeMAX

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 3, 2022, 10:14 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 2, 2022, 8:55 a.m.

BTW - if anyone is looking for a nice hardtail frame to throw some parts on I have a Large Cotic BFeMAX [frame only] I'm selling. I wrapped it with protective tape when I built it up. No damage. It's the current geo/frame spec. PM me if you are interested. I'll throw it up on PB soon.

Great bike, but just a bit too long for me. I should have ordered the Medium.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFeMAX

BRB, gotta sell some plasma…

Jan. 2, 2022, 12:19 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I recommended you not to sell that bike ;)

29er hardtails are great but it is nothing like a 27.5.

Yeah I'm fairly sure you did as well :(

Got it. Is the Torrent mullet-able?

It's a 29er so it's possible. Maybe that's an idea...? Lower the fork 10mm or so so it's not insanely slack?

Hm.

Jan. 2, 2022, 12:35 p.m.

^I’ve seen a couple of angle-set on the buy’n’sell for $40 now. Might be able to get one of those instead of reducing travel.