NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Dec. 21, 2022, 6:37 a.m.

I like what looks like an indexing mark to see how the dropouts are aligned R vs L. I've just been sticking a hex key in the slot to "measure." Seems like there's a second bolt in front of the TA hole.

Very nice and clean looking.

Dec. 21, 2022, 2:49 p.m.

Essentially pushers instead of tugs. I’m a fan of checking alignment up at the tyre, but that can be harder with yokes etc

Dec. 21, 2022, 2:53 p.m.

It’s a prototype Prova. The dropouts are additive ti. You can see the drop out adjustment in the picture.

No hanger yet that I’m aware of but I did ask about that.

Dec. 21, 2022, 5:38 p.m.

Sleek af but maybe not as easily accessible for re-tensioning on the fly a'la the swinging tensioners like those on AM'S Waltworks?

Dec. 21, 2022, 9:43 p.m.

I don’t think that’s much of an issue, you do t need them to retension. It’s similar to some other dropouts in that respect, and not much different to my BTR (which until these was the cleanest SS set up around IMO).

Dec. 22, 2022, 5:58 a.m.

We had a nice dump of light/dry snow and cold temps hit the island. With travel carnage in news I headed out for a hardtail solstice ride with what I thought would be a side order of trail maintenance. The snow was fun, but I ran into so many trees down that I thought I would wear out my small folding handsaw. It ended up being a saw party with a side order of mountain biking. ;-)

There were a few bigger trees I didn't have the heart to even try so I reported them on Trailforks. I ended up at the truck after 4hrs instead of my expected 2hrs worn out from the sawing! The last two trails close to town were clear except for one tree so I did get to enjoy a proper snow shred without stopping. Although it's been a while since T-Giving I was thankful for having warm clothes that worked well in the colder than normal conditions, for my small folding saw that cruised through some medium sized trees better than I thought it would and for my bike that kept, pedaling/braking/shifting despite the snow and cold.

Oh ya got first tracks and the days are getting longer from here!

Dec. 22, 2022, 7:45 a.m.

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/topic/nsmb-2023-hardtail-thread-132588/#gsc.tab=0

I set up next years already...

Dec. 22, 2022, 2:03 p.m.

First ride on the Solaris Max tonight.  I'm liking the more modern geo - it's a lot more like my Murmur than Krampus and feels very capable at 140mm.

Dec. 22, 2022, 2:24 p.m.

The S-Max tubing sounds great. I like a hardtail with a nice bit of flex. Enjoy the first ride.

Dec. 22, 2022, 9:49 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

We had a nice dump of light/dry snow and cold temps hit the island. With travel carnage in news I headed out for a hardtail solstice ride with what I thought would be a side order of trail maintenance. The snow was fun, but I ran into so many trees down that I thought I would wear out my small folding handsaw. It ended up being a saw party with a side order of mountain biking. ;-)

There were a few bigger trees I didn't have the heart to even try so I reported them on Trailforks. I ended up at the truck after 4hrs instead of my expected 2hrs worn out from the sawing! The last two trails close to town were clear except for one tree so I did get to enjoy a proper snow shred without stopping. Although it's been a while since T-Giving I was thankful for having warm clothes that worked well in the colder than normal conditions, for my small folding saw that cruised through some medium sized trees better than I thought it would and for my bike that kept, pedaling/braking/shifting despite the snow and cold.

Oh ya got first tracks and the days are getting longer from here!

How do you keep your feet dry in the snow with the saw work? That’s a long cold ride.

Dec. 23, 2022, 12:43 a.m.

The S-Max tubing sounds great. I like a hardtail with a nice bit of flex. Enjoy the first ride.

The first ride was good even though I didn't have the dropper working (ran out of time to get it running).  

I can see I'm going to ride it a lot.  Modern geo HTs make a lot of sense - I get the appeal.

Dec. 23, 2022, 6:20 a.m.

Posted by: yardrec

How do you keep your feet dry in the snow with the saw work? That’s a long cold ride.

5.10 Freerider EPS ---> they are mostly waterproof with minimal seams and insulated. My go-to winter riding shoes plus some wool hiking socks are also standard fare. I add a set of hiking gaiters to them over my MTB pants if the snow is starting to get deep. Seals the snow out of my shoes so they don't get wet from the top. Works great.

First time I wore the gaiters I thought they looked a bit goofy....then I realized the times I was going to wear them it's not likely there would be a whole lot of people riding bikes on the trails to note my fashion faux-pas! ;-)

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 23, 2022, 6:25 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 23, 2022, 9:08 a.m.

Posted by: yardrec

5.10 Freerider EPS ---> they are mostly waterproof with minimal seams and insulated. My go-to winter riding shoes plus some wool hiking socks are also standard fare. I add a set of hiking gaiters to them over my MTB pants if the snow is starting to get deep. Seals the snow out of my shoes so they don't get wet from the top. Works great.

First time I wore the gaiters I thought they looked a bit goofy....then I realized the times I was going to wear them it's not likely there would be a whole lot of people riding bikes on the trails to note my fashion faux-pas! ;-)

Very good! Gaiters are rad. I goof it up for all XC skiing trips  :)

Dec. 23, 2022, 5:02 p.m.

Not many hardtails left this year. My GF had the day off today so we headed out to the local trails for some fresh tracks.

Launching off a jump/drop into untracked powder is too much fun.

We ran into another rider on the trails. Great minds and all that! ;-)

Dec. 24, 2022, 9:45 a.m.