NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Dec. 16, 2022, 9:54 a.m.

Looks awesome you guys :)

Dec. 16, 2022, 1:21 p.m.

I've just got myself back in the HT game.  Picked up a used Solaris Max frame.  Piccys once I get it built.

Dec. 16, 2022, 2:25 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Blofeld

The trail connection you get in your winter riding looks incredible! I’ve been riding packed snow for a month and it’s more like a moving average of the summer trail. The turns and climbs are in the same places, but the roots have been erased. Some days traction is solid and it’s faster than hero dirt, others it’s meltdown or ice and it’s a lot of pushing.

The thing I love about snow riding is the same trail is different [pretty much] every time I ride it. As you note some stuff is easier [roots/rocks] and some stuff is harder deeper or slushy snow. We've got more snow and colder temperatures in the forecast. Should be fun to see what that does to the trails. I wouldn't want to deal with it for 6 months at a time, but a month or two is a nice change of pace.

Remind me where you are located?

I read that! It’s awesome hitting a trail and having NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how hard or easy it’s going to be on a particular day. I’m in the Calgary area so it’s pretty dry in general and chaos is limited. I do make a point to ride the right trail in the wrong conditions whenever I can.

Dec. 17, 2022, 5:59 a.m.

Posted by: Blofeld

I read that! It’s awesome hitting a trail and having NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how hard or easy it’s going to be on a particular day. I’m in the Calgary area so it’s pretty dry in general and chaos is limited. I do make a point to ride the right trail in the wrong conditions whenever I can.

Although I lived in YYC a long time it's been ~ 12 years since I left and I am starting to forget the details, but one thing I remember is the weather was never boring. It was always changing and presenting new challenges.

Dec. 17, 2022, 4:15 p.m.

YYC weather about to turn to misery for a few days. Way too cold for riding, even the fatbike that’s pretty set for cold weather. 

Well, too cold for me anyway.

Dec. 17, 2022, 4:25 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

YYC weather about to turn to misery for a few days. Way too cold for riding, even the fatbike that’s pretty set for cold weather. 

From back in the day. My old fatbike over the Bow River in -30 deg C range of temps. There were not a lot of other riders out! ;-)

Dec. 17, 2022, 4:45 p.m.

Since Niels is a local now [and he's not afraid of pushing his bike a little] we got out today to check out a different part of Cumberland's expansive trail network. With a partner in crime I can share this photo of me awkwardly cranking through the snow at the top of Mount Fuji.

A combination of some time passing to consolidate the snow, some hikers/runners packing it down and colder temps making it firm resulted in some really decent riding conditions.

Ignore Niels' weird squishy hardtail. I think I am slowly bringing him around to the one true noble path of rear end rigidness. 

I knew it was going to be a good day when we were able to ride a bunch of the climbs in the open areas we needed to get through to complete the loop. Open areas collect the most snow and going uphill is obviously more difficult for traction and momentum. The ride ended with some fun swooping around in the forest on flowy XC trails with a nice gradual downhill trend.

Dec. 17, 2022, 5 p.m.

Finally got the scrambler out for the maiden voyage, what a fun machine!!

Never ridden a rigid bike before so I had no idea what to expect, but boy this thing can go.  The bike definitely wants to go as fast as you'll let it, and even with surprises it remained remarkably composed.  Its hard to slow down whether you're going up or down, the climbing efficiency of the rigid setup is very fun.  Can't wait to put more miles on the rig, but 110% happy with how it turned out and I think there's still quite a bit to be unlocked going with some riser bars and a slightly bigger rear tire (I'll probably see whats the biggest I can squeeze in there, its currently got a maxxis dissector 2.4 that I happened to have lying around).

Didn't even complain when I asked it to do its best dirt jumper impression, handled the airtime like a boss and very nicely damped landings.

Dec. 17, 2022, 5:04 p.m.

Looks great. Rigid bikes can be a ton of fun. Nice Stooge.

Dec. 17, 2022, 5:07 p.m.

Posted by: burnskiez

Finally got the scrambler out for the maiden voyage, what a fun machine!!

Never ridden a rigid bike before so I had no idea what to expect, but boy this thing can go.  The bike definitely wants to go as fast as you'll let it, and even with surprises it remained remarkably composed.  Its hard to slow down whether you're going up or down, the climbing efficiency of the rigid setup is very fun.  Can't wait to put more miles on the rig, but 110% happy with how it turned out and I think there's still quite a bit to be unlocked going with some riser bars and a slightly bigger rear tire (I'll probably see whats the biggest I can squeeze in there, its currently got a maxxis dissector 2.4 that I happened to have lying around).

Didn't even complain when I asked it to do its best dirt jumper impression, handled the airtime like a boss and very nicely damped landings.

Awesome to hear, I have been in touch with Stooge and am hoping to grab a Speedbomb next year!

Dec. 17, 2022, 5:54 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

From back in the day. My old fatbike over the Bow River in -30 deg C range of temps. There were not a lot of other riders out! ;-)

Old Samurai  in 2013 with freehub grease teetering on saying it taps out. Was advised before  in the eatery worked at that had no further say in the thermostat setting. Something about wanting the AC on in winter. LOL

Dec. 17, 2022, 6 p.m.

Ignore Niels' weird squishy hardtail. I think I am slowly bringing him around to the one true noble path of rear end rigidness. 

I'll flip the lockout on my rear shock next time ;-)

It was nice to be out on the trails. The snow was surprisingly rideable in most places!

Also since it came up earlier in this thread (or was it another?), wearing clipless summer shoes I kept my toes (kind of) warm with some plastic bags (inside the shoes, over the socks). Worked reasonably well.

Dec. 17, 2022, 6:07 p.m.

With the right hardware and tools any duallie can become a hardtail.

Dec. 17, 2022, 6:20 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Also since it came up earlier in this thread (or was it another?), wearing clipless summer shoes I kept my toes (kind of) warm with some plastic bags (inside the shoes, over the socks). Worked reasonably well.

It was another thread. But one company that does winter cycling footwear is 45nrth.

https://www.45nrth.com/products/footwear#/

Dec. 17, 2022, 8:03 p.m.

Out of boredom looked at the Cotic website. Holy exchange rate... 480 Brit Pounds is like $802 Canadian.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/order/framebuilder/BFeMAX/