NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Aug. 18, 2022, 11:35 a.m.

As I was rolling my SS bike into the garage post-ride last night I noticed the cranks spinning instead of the freehub freewheeling. Not ideal! I took the freehub off this morning and parts of the inboard bearing fell out onto the bench. Hmmmm! This wheel has had the misfortune of seeing action on 4 different bikes and while each individual setup didn't see excessive use when added up it's been too long since I serviced that hub. If all that riding had been on one bike I would have likely thought about servicing the hub already. The freehub body does not appear damaged so I'll get a new freehub for the wheel and a set of bearings to rebuild the broken unit so it'll be ready to swap on next time as a spare. The main hub bearings are feeling notchy enough I'll replace them while I have the hub apart.

On the plus side the SS rig will be in great shape once this is done. It's got new brakes, BB, chainring, freshly serviced fork and soon to be rebuilt rear hub. The rear tire is noticeably worn, but I'll ride it into the winter until it annoys me. I have a spare ready to go when the time comes.

Aug. 18, 2022, 12:42 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

It's been stinking hot here the last few days. While I have no aversion to strapping or taping an extra bottle cage to my bike as needed I found these 1L Soma bottles to be quite handy for bikes that only need extra hydration capacity once in a while. They fit my "normal" cage just fine and hold enough extra water to be useful. You do need sufficient frame space, but on a hardtail that's not too high a bar.

I pounded the whole 1L on a shorter social ride last night. So I was glad to have it.

Cool. Good to know. I've been pondering ways to get extra hydration on my Chromag. Considered everything from putting a cage on the seat tube via King Cage USB, Wolftooth B-rad systems, putting a King Manything on somewhere, or putting a hydration bladder in a frame bag. Lots of options but it's going to take some thought, measuring and purchasing.  Not loving having a bottle or 2 on my fannypack.

Last edited by: BC_Nuggets on Aug. 18, 2022, 12:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 18, 2022, 1:48 p.m.

Posted by: BC_Nuggets

Cool. Good to know. I've been pondering ways to get extra hydration on my Chromag. Considered everything from putting a cage on the seat tube via King Cage USB, Wolftooth B-rad systems, putting a King Manything on somewhere, or putting a hydration bladder in a frame bag. Lots of options but it's going to take some thought, measuring and purchasing.  Not loving having a bottle or 2 on my fannypack.

A few options that come to mind:

1. Add a cage under the DT [could even be  1L-1.5L XL cage]. Electrical tape works and you only need it for the summer when you don't get as much stuff flying up from front wheel. Just refill upper "clean" bottle and drink from that.
  2. Fidlock strap mount can be put on the top of the TT. Again just for hot/summer/long ride use and then removed.
  3. Onsight Straddle Bag - can fit a 1L soft bottle in each side as needed. Goes on and off in seconds.
  4. B-Rad double bottle mount mount.
Aug. 18, 2022, 1:57 p.m.

As I was rolling my SS bike into the garage post-ride last night I noticed the cranks spinning instead of the freehub freewheeling. Not ideal! I took the freehub off this morning and parts of the inboard bearing fell out onto the bench. Hmmmm! This wheel has had the misfortune of seeing action on 4 different bikes and while each individual setup didn't see excessive use when added up it's been too long since I serviced that hub. If all that riding had been on one bike I would have likely thought about servicing the hub already. The freehub body does not appear damaged so I'll get a new freehub for the wheel and a set of bearings to rebuild the broken unit so it'll be ready to swap on next time as a spare. The main hub bearings are feeling notchy enough I'll replace them while I have the hub apart.

On the plus side the SS rig will be in great shape once this is done. It's got new brakes, BB, chainring, freshly serviced fork and soon to be rebuilt rear hub. The rear tire is noticeably worn, but I'll ride it into the winter until it annoys me. I have a spare ready to go when the time comes.

I really like my SS specific rear wheels running White Industry freehubs. You've obviously got to go all in for SS, but once you do, maintenance is pretty few and far between. Those freewheels run smooth forever! And you could do a dinglespeed set up. Fun bike nerd stuff!

Aug. 18, 2022, 2:26 p.m.

A few options that come to mind:

1. Add a cage under the DT [could even be  1L-1.5L XL cage]. Electrical tape works and you only need it for the summer when you don't get as much stuff flying up from front wheel. Just refill upper "clean" bottle and drink from that.
  2. Fidlock strap mount can be put on the top of the TT. Again just for hot/summer/long ride use and then removed.
  3. Onsight Straddle Bag - can fit a 1L soft bottle in each side as needed. Goes on and off in seconds.
  4. B-Rad double bottle mount mount.

Thanks for the advice.  The Fidlocks don't seem to hold much water but the other options you've listed are intriguing.  The B-Rad double mount seems like a no-brainer but I wonder if it would result in leg strikes?  Still thinking I'd like option 1 best as it would be handy for bikepacking too.  I think I could install a king manycage with the king USBs and maybe a zip tie or two.  Then attach a large bottle with volle straps.

Aug. 18, 2022, 2:59 p.m.

I think the viability of the B-Rad double mount totally depends on where the bottle mount is on the frame and the rider's leg size/geo if that makes sense. I have scrawny chicken legs so what might work for me might not work for someone else with thick legs. You could probably mock something up with electrical tape and empty bottles just to see if it intrigued you enough.

In the dry season the under the DT option works great. Keeps weight low and stable. If it's not raining you won't get a lot of crud on the lower bottle. I don't drink from it anyways. I drain my upper bottle and just refill it so a somewhat dirty lower bottle isn't a huge deal.

Aug. 18, 2022, 3:02 p.m.

Thanks for the advice.  The Fidlocks don't seem to hold much water but the other options you've listed are intriguing. 

You can get Fidlock with larger bottles if you want. I haven't tried this myself though.

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/fidlock-boa-bottles-universal-support/137149026/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=8594070&country=ca&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxveXBhDDARIsAI0Q0x0tyG3maRABIZoENiuadl7zTNtIYutoK0DRdih7LVtBk-Q1Yag9ibwaApEvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Aug. 18, 2022, 3:38 p.m.

https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/p/honaker

Here's an interesting idea.  Would keep the bottle cleaner it looks like?  Anyway, I'd do as you do and just refill my main bottle as needed.

Aug. 18, 2022, 3:40 p.m.

https://www.bedrockbags.com/gear/p/honaker

Here's an interesting idea.  Would keep the bottle cleaner it looks like?  Anyway, I'd do as you do and just refill my main bottle as needed.

Yes. That would work if keeping the bottle clean was essential. I've also seen lots of custom lid "protectors" made from various stretchy materials. Lid condoms if you will.  No wrong answer just depends on how clean you want/need the bottle.

Aug. 18, 2022, 3:44 p.m.

Looking at some of your pictures in the earlier part of this thread it looks like you have a cage mounted below your down-tube on a couple bikes.  What cage is that?  Cheers.

Aug. 18, 2022, 3:54 p.m.

Looking at some of your pictures in the earlier part of this thread it looks like you have a cage mounted below your down-tube on a couple bikes. What cage is that? Cheers.

Two options I have that are decent for larger volume bottles:

Topeak Modula XL. Fits 1L-1.5L bottles. I usually use an extra strap for security under the DT. Electrical tape or hose clamps [use inner tube to protect the frame] work great if you don't have cage mounts down there.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/205-MODULA-CAGE-XL

Salsa Anything Cage HD. Fits 2L+ bottles depending on shape.

https://www.salsacycles.com/gear/anything_cage_hd

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 18, 2022, 4:07 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 18, 2022, 4:03 p.m.

Thanks for your help Vik!

Aug. 18, 2022, 4:06 p.m.

Any time. The only thing I like as much as strapping $hit to my bike is talking about strapping $hit to bikes. ;-)

Aug. 18, 2022, 4:40 p.m.

Any time. The only thing I like as much as strapping $hit to my bike is talking about strapping $hit to bikes. ;-)

Vik, came upon this earlier in the year.  Actually got myself a bunch from this company but arrived a few days before surgery so haven't actually used it yet.

https://originalfreerange.com/collections/hydration/products/copy-of-original-tube-beanie

And there is another company called Hardside Hydration that sells a kit that would allow you to use a hydration hose on a 2L Nalgene and similar topped bottle.

https://www.hardsidehydration.com/

Original Free Range sells the Swig Rig adapter with a kit that allows you to run a hydration hose clipped to your bars.

https://originalfreerange.com/collections/hydration/products/handlebar-hydration-system

Aug. 18, 2022, 4:53 p.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Vik, came upon this earlier in the year. Actually got myself a bunch from this company but arrived a few days before surgery so haven't actually used it yet.

Nice. Let us know how they stuff you got works out for you. Best of luck with the surgery recovery as well. I hope you are back on the bike soon.

Last edited by: Vikb on Aug. 18, 2022, 4:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.