NSMB - 2022 - Hardtail Thread...

Jan. 2, 2022, 2:24 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

It's a 29er so it's possible. Maybe that's an idea...? Lower the fork 10mm or so so it's not insanely slack?

Hm.

Looking at the Geo charts it's 64 deg HTA unsagged. I've ridden HTs as slack as 62 deg HTA unsagged and that could be just fine. It's going to get steeper as soon as you climb aboard. I'd probably just try it stock and then lower the fork if needed.

The other option is sell the Torrent complete and buy a used 275er HT that floats your boat.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 2, 2022, 2:24 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2022, 3:13 p.m.

2021 Knolly Tyaughton steel. Built it up with a 160mm lyric and it has been tonnes of fun. Got a size small and it feels very sporty in a good way. I especially enjoyed riding it in Cumberland, but it does just fine on the Shore.  Very happy with the geometry, which interestingly looks similar to Vik's Bird.

Jan. 2, 2022, 5:18 p.m.

My mullet Stylus build.  Still trying to get the Z1 dialled but love the modern geo and feel.  So far am getting away running the 52T cassette with the older style eagle derailleur.  This is my first shore worthy HT and finding my full squish is getting left at home most days ;)

Jan. 2, 2022, 5:25 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

2021 Knolly Tyaughton steel. Built it up with a 160mm lyric and it has been tonnes of fun. Got a size small and it feels very sporty in a good way. I especially enjoyed riding it in Cumberland, but it does just fine on the Shore.  Very happy with the geometry, which interestingly looks similar to Vik's Bird.

If you came to Cumby for a visit we could compare them up close. ;-)

Jan. 2, 2022, 5:31 p.m.

Posted by: Useless

This is my first shore worthy HT and finding my full squish is getting left at home most days ;)

Right on. Great to see more snowy hardtails.

Jan. 3, 2022, 8:21 a.m.

I was re-reading this PB article today about designing the Docta. I don't share all of Clark's perspective on hardtail design, but he's getting it done on some hard trails so you can't argue with the results. Anyway it was interesting enough I figured I'd share if folks wanted some deep winter reading material while waiting for the sun to rise. Photo from a NSMB reader's ride article.

PB Docta article ---> https://www.pinkbike.com/news/chromag-doctahawk-a-nerdy-geometry-explanation.html

NSMB Docta reader's ride ---> https://nsmb.com/articles/thomas-lindups-1988-volvo-and-chromag-doctahawk/

Thomas' Docta bar setup makes my hardtail bars/steerers look completely reasonable! I love it. ;-)

Jan. 3, 2022, 8:28 a.m.

Not sure I'd take any geo tips from someone with that many headset spacers ;)

Jan. 3, 2022, 9:05 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Not sure I'd take any geo tips from someone with that many headset spacers ;)

Docta in photo is not the one ridden by Clark who is providing design comments. That said I 100% sympathize with folks doing what they have to in order to ride a MTB comfortably. I'd make just about every headtube I see on a production frame 50+mm longer if I could. Since I don't want to go custom every time I buy a frame using spacers and a high rise bar is the other alternative open to me.

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 3, 2022, 9:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 3, 2022, 9:53 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If you came to Cumby for a visit we could compare them up close. ;-)

Sounds like a great plan Vik.  I will definitely be back this summer. You will probably destroy me on your SS🙃

Jan. 3, 2022, 10:16 a.m.

Sounds like a great plan Vik.  I will definitely be back this summer. You will probably destroy me on your SS🙃

I'll ride the geared Bird with you. SS is a bit anti-social on a two person ride with someone on a geared bike. Riding gears it's a lot easier to cruise along and chat.

Jan. 3, 2022, 2:20 p.m.

Mine has been shared on these forums before, but it's a Crimson, made locally in Vancouver by my buddy who used to be a big part of designing Cove Bikes suspension platform.

[8th time editing this post, and still can't figure out how to display the pics properly...]

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20435/

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20436/

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20437/

He's now moved on to being a machinist, and this was one of the very last steel frames he pumped out in 2018 before he moved on to more satisfying pastures. He already had a tube set chosen for the build, so I had him to do the best with a compromise between long reach and slack head tube angle (down tube length was the limiter). Over the years, it's gotten a couple tweaks here and there.

• 2014 Fox 34 Factory - Upgraded at SW with NA2 Airspring and low-friction seal head, and dropped to 150mm for the hard tail.
  • 11spd SLX drivetrain (using Sunrace 11-46 cassette and 30T NSB ring)
  • SLX brakes - Upgraded with Deore 4-piston calipers last season
  • Original 27.5 Duroc wheel set (trashed) replaced with Reynolds carbon front wheel and LightBicycle/DT350 rear wheel
  • MaxTerra 2.5" Minions with Tannus inserts - F/R
  • 50mm rise Spank Bar (from 20mm rise) and 40mm Truvativ OG Stem (from 35mm)
  • Works -1.5deg Headset (roughly 64deg now).
  • OneUp 210mm dropper
  • RRP Front and Mudhugger Rear Fender (off-season only)
  • OneUp EDC Pump - swapped between bikes

Last edited by: mammal on Jan. 3, 2022, 8:25 p.m., edited 10 times in total.
Jan. 3, 2022, 2:49 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

Mine has been shared on these forums before, but it's a Crimson, made locally in Vancouver by my buddy who used to be a big part of designing Cove Bikes suspension platform.

Looks nice. Thanks for sharing. Can't be too many HT photos posted!

Dual fenders FTW! ;-)

Jan. 4, 2022, 8:43 a.m.

i also cannot for the life of me figure out how to post a photo.

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20438/

Here is my 2021 medium Doctahawk, 170 mm Z1 coil. Love this bike, it has totally changed how I ride. Gets you down anything, super solid. 

Got some second hand WTB 2.8 Vigilante's on for the winter and I'm loving them. So much grip, float and cushion.

Jan. 4, 2022, 8:52 a.m.

Posted by: PowellRiviera

i also cannot for the life of me figure out how to post a photo.

https://nsmb.com/photos/view/20438/

Here is my 2021 medium Doctahawk, 170 mm Z1 coil. Love this bike, it has totally changed how I ride. Gets you down anything, super solid. 

Got some second hand WTB 2.8 Vigilante's on for the winter and I'm loving them. So much grip, float and cushion.

Nice looking ride.

How to post a photo:

1. Click on link for source of photo.

2. Put cursor on image and right click - select "Copy image address"

3. Come back to NSMB page where you want to post it.

4. Click image icon at top of post box. [2nd one from the right].

5. Paste image address in the box that opens and hit "confirm"

6. Image should show up in the editor box.

Jan. 4, 2022, 8:55 a.m.

Thanks Vic