NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Nov. 7, 2022, 7:13 a.m.

Posted by: martin

Nice find @kavurider ! Sometimes just riding a different bike keeps the experimenting fun, and it doesn't need to be the latest snd greatest. Also, what's the real wheel rack on the blue Mongoose (classic BTW!!) ? Cheers!

Thank you!

That is an OG Xtracycle Freeradical conversion. The forefather of the long tail cargo bike.

Nov. 7, 2022, 7:36 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

I’ve recently built up a 2022 Pivot Firebird and I’m very, very, happy with it. Coming off the Druid the efficiency, playfulness and extra comfort are really noticeable, plus it’s lighter. The pedalling performance is the best I’ve encountered - super eager to pop forward but still surprisingly plush.

A bunch of my buddies ride DW link bikes; two on Pivots (one is a Firebird), and three of them on Ibis.  It's truly uncanny how little the suspension engages when pedaling. It is a remarkable design. I do believe the Pivot version of the DW link feels plusher than Ibis' version - but maybe that's just imaginary because I know the Pivots have more travel?

Congrats on a sweet bike!

Nov. 8, 2022, 12:13 a.m.

I'm in Holland right now and I've been riding my "old" Spectral 27.5 that I keep here. The bike was relatively progressive at the time but is now completely "outdated": 27.5" wheels, 66.5 HTA, 74 STA, 445 mm reach (size large). Feels like riding a BMX after riding my 29" sleds. Super fun on the twisty XC trails here. I bet it would be a blast in Cumberland.

Slight bummer to discover the Sram bleed kit I brought with me doesn't have the syringe adapter for the newer "Bleeding Edge" ports on the bike's Guide brakes. I've been on Shimano brakes for a while now and had completely missed that change by Sram. Luckily the brakes aren't too bad, a bit spongy but after some riding and braking they started feeling better.

Nov. 8, 2022, 3:09 p.m.

A -2 degree angle set from Works components would help bring that HA closer to modern standards, but it would shorten the effective reach even more.

Nov. 8, 2022, 5:23 p.m.

The 2022 Firebird apparently has a little more rearward path engineered in. It does move under pedalling if I watch it, but it's not noticeable and seems to just pop forward. 

In all honesty, it feels like an evolved and refined version of my Devinci Spartan 29 (also a DW designed split pivot), if Devinci had stuck with that platform instead of going High Pivot...

Nov. 9, 2022, 7:16 p.m.

Finished a new frame project a couple weeks back. A few rides on it now and it's feeling good. Still some shock and fork twiddling to do before it is fully dialed in.

35lbs 7oz as. 154mm rear travel, 160mm front. 

1290mm wheelbase with 455 chainstays

150mm headtube gets the bar up high

Yes I like my bars rolled forward, some say they look funny. Meh, fit over fashion. The upsweep feels good with a 15 degree backsweep bar.

Nov. 9, 2022, 8:22 p.m.

Looks great. Congrats. I am jealous of the 150mm head tube....well and also the fabrication skills. :-)

Nov. 9, 2022, 9:42 p.m.

rad build. what's the reach? i like the idea of longer rear center & higher stack. i'm thinking there's progress to be made in that general direction - ease up on reach a bit & move upwards to achieve a similar hand/foot distance, & focus on balancing weight distribution between wheels so you can drive with a centered position (rather than have to shift weight front & back to compensate for a long front / short rear bias).

Nov. 10, 2022, 7:39 a.m.

That headtube looks great. My one complaint with my G1 is the need to run a bunch of spacers under the bar. I have thought about getting a quote from Nicolai for a custom G1 front triangle with a touch shorter reach than a size L, and more headtube, but have wondered if it would look weird. Turns out the answer appears to be no!

Nov. 10, 2022, 8:34 a.m.

Posted by: earleb

Finished a new frame project... Yes I like my bars rolled forward... 

Awesome project! I also like my bars rolled farther forward than most. Looks especially weird with the 50mm riser bar on my hard tail, but since I discovered the preference about 4 years ago, there's no turning back. Much more comfortable for me.

Nov. 10, 2022, 8:36 a.m.

That is rad. Nice work. 👊

Kinda thinking the long headtube is the future.

Nov. 10, 2022, 10:12 a.m.

Posted by: xy9ine

rad build. what's the reach? i like the idea of longer rear center & higher stack. i'm thinking there's progress to be made in that general direction - ease up on reach a bit & move upwards to achieve a similar hand/foot distance, & focus on balancing weight distribution between wheels so you can drive with a centered position (rather than have to shift weight front & back to compensate for a long front / short rear bias).

Reach is about 475mm. This frame started life pre-covid and I need to dig back in the CAD file history log to see what it was at when I actually cut tubes for the front triangle, but memory is 475. The frame before this was about 480 and a lower headtube so effectively longer. At first riding this one with the taller headtube and shorter reach the bike feels shorter, but I am settling into it. It's a touch longer in wb but the shorter/higher cockpit makes it feel shorter.

Nov. 10, 2022, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

That is rad. Nice work. 👊

Kinda thinking the long headtube is the future.

Long headtubes, slightly higher bb's, and longer chainstays will be the new "longer, slacker, lower".

Nov. 13, 2022, 12:50 p.m.

Why would one prefer a long head tube to a short head tube/long steerer tube combo?

Seems a short head tube would allow for more sizing options, while a long one limits them.

Nov. 13, 2022, 2:38 p.m.

More sizing options isn't so important when you're building a one off. For people who need it, it makes sense to support the extra steerer with extra HT.