NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Sept. 20, 2022, 5:25 a.m.

I was really disappointed with how WAO handled the supply of frames to distributors (and it sounds like some shops). There were orders canceled when they weren’t able to scale production on the frames and shops having to make apologies, refund deposits etc without so much as a post explaining from WAO. 

They enjoy so much good will (hard earned for sure) that this won’t hurt them too much, but it definitely burnt a bit. It would have been a much better brand move to simply say ‘making this bike to our standards takes time and we won’t cut corners, that means we simply aren’t making as many as we hoped, and we’re having to make hard decisions. If this impacts our customers overseas, we’re sorry’.

Sept. 20, 2022, 4:26 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Edit: My issue was figured out. thanks for the input

So you ordered an Arrival? :)

Sept. 22, 2022, 7:34 p.m.

Interesting factoid: Vlad Yordinov, one of the brains behind the Arrival, actually made an instructional video based around his downhill frame that he made before joining We Are One. So if you can't afford an arrival, you can maybe make your own :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWSePEV88tw

Sept. 26, 2022, 7:10 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

My Reign hasn't gotten much use this year due to testing the Spectral 125 and the Fluid but yesterday I chose the Reign to go ride Civil Disobedience in Powell River. Day trip with the ferry from Comox, met up with riding buddy visiting family there.

Awesome trail, not super difficult but it was certainly hard work up and down. Loved the raw natural singeltrack and was kind of glad I was on the Reign.

A few spots with nice views along the trail as well:

Hope your ride started from the ferry terminal 😉

It's the CSU. 

Got sick of replacing FAUX CSUs and waiting for Selva DC so I installed an Öhlins DH38 m.1 180mm 46mm on my MOJO G16 this weekend. Complete with Straitline 28mm DM stem and SQ Labs 16º 30mm bars.  I see zero downsides to this besides End-juro fashion police scoffing at this as it wasn't offered on their prepackaged S-Works/SC/whatever trendy fantastic plastic wonder bike they bought 

Posted by: mrkdwrds

After a season of admittedly not as much riding as I would have hoped, yesterday I started to really click with my G1 - quite an adjustment to riding style coming from my last full-suspension experience being DH bikes 10+ years ago.

Unfortunately, the G1 and I aren't the only thing clicking. I developed a pretty loud clicking/creaking from the front end. I used a fair bit of grease for the headset so suspect it's not that, but will pull it apart and will also perhaps re-grease stem bolts and front axle while I'm at it to rule those elements out. I'm worried that my Lyrik has developed the dreaded CSU creak. Any insight on definitive diagnosis of that issue, or experience dealing with RS for CSU issues? My current thought is I'll try to put a drop of oil on the CSU interface after re-greasing and re-assembling the front end to see if that gets rid of the issue, then wait until the winter to submit a warranty claim if it does turn out to be the problem. Really wish Formula would hurry up and release a dual-crown enduro fork. Otherwise, might have to look at an EXT fork to suit the rear shock, but the pricepoint is a tough one.

Sept. 28, 2022, 10:38 a.m.

Update us with pics on your experience. Do you know the weight difference?

Sept. 30, 2022, 11:51 a.m.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I think the click/creak might have been stem bolts...despite Loctite on the steerer clamp bolts my Hope stem seemed to have been a little low on torque when I checked the bolts. Need to take care of a few misc. maintenance items but will give my theory a test in the next week or so hopefully. It it does turn out to be CSU I am pretty keen to try the EXT route, partly because annual service could happen at the same place as the matching rear shock which would make life easy.

Sept. 30, 2022, 1:02 p.m.

Posted by: mrkdwrds

I'm embarrassed to admit that I think the click/creak might have been stem bolts...despite Loctite on the steerer clamp bolts my Hope stem seemed to have been a little low on torque when I checked the bolts. Need to take care of a few misc. maintenance items but will give my theory a test in the next week or so hopefully. It it does turn out to be CSU I am pretty keen to try the EXT route, partly because annual service could happen at the same place as the matching rear shock which would make life easy.

Loctite on stem bolts? You sure about that? Sounds gross. 

I'd check Hope's instructions but unless they're an outlier the process should be grease em and torque em.

Sept. 30, 2022, 1:03 p.m.

I've had clicking/ creaking 3 times in the stem area, twice on a fox 36 and once on the ZEB in the stem area, the 1st time the mechanic told me he dropped the fork and cleaned that shit outa there so i've dropped the fork cleaned stem & spacer area wiped a little carbon paste on the surfaces and niose goes away

edit: make that 4times i've fixed a creaking stem area with cleaning/ greasing/  some carbon paste

Last edited by: XXX_er on Oct. 29, 2022, 7:09 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Oct. 29, 2022, 6:35 p.m.

snagged a "new" 2014? era small g-spot frame from Cove for my kid, and put a dog's breakfast of his previous bike (really old Kona stuff 2-4 with good parts) and my old g-spot into this.  mullet 26/24, good chance to keep all my old 26" parts still going strong.  30.4 lbs as pictured.  will look awesome when i put the rasta decals on to match the green grips.

Oct. 29, 2022, 11:25 p.m.

Posted by: johnny_deformed

snagged a "new" 2014? era small g-spot frame from Cove for my kid, and put a dog's breakfast of his previous bike (really old Kona stuff 2-4 with good parts) and my old g-spot into this.  mullet 26/24, good chance to keep all my old 26" parts still going strong.  30.4 lbs as pictured.  will look awesome when i put the rasta decals on to match the green grips.

Keen to see, have another go with the pictures.

Oct. 31, 2022, 10:12 a.m.

Posted by: johnny_deformed

Awesome! Those bikes are legendary. +1 for a re-attempt on including pics of this grom-steed.

Nov. 3, 2022, 6:30 a.m.

Recent acquisition.  2007-era SC Blur LT v1. It isn't new or fancy, but it was cheap and it is fun.  The Revelation Air was leaking and even after 2 rebuilds, it kept leaking air.  So I ditched the internals and grabbed a coil spring and rebound damper from a Sektor - fit perfectly and now it is a 150mm travel ReveSektor coil.  Previous owner just threw parts on it, so it has a Fox shock from an Element complete with remote lockout. 

It is fun!  I have been riding it more than my Ripmo AF lately and having a blast.  Feels like a slalom/4x bike on the trails. 

Nov. 3, 2022, 6:06 p.m.

Posted by: jgshinton

Update us with pics on your experience. Do you know the weight difference?

Placeholder post.  I don't generally care about weight of suspension nor brakes, even tyres to an extent; but this could be fun nonetheless. 

36 = 2084g / 4lb 9.5 oz w/ kabolt 

I'll update when/if I pull the DH38 m.1 off my bike.  And when I can figure out photos

Nov. 6, 2022, 10:42 p.m.

Nice find @kavurider ! Sometimes just riding a different bike keeps the experimenting fun, and it doesn't need to be the latest snd greatest. Also, what's the real wheel rack on the blue Mongoose (classic BTW!!) ? Cheers!

Nov. 7, 2022, 1:08 a.m.

I’ve recently built up a 2022 Pivot Firebird and I’m very, very, happy with it. Coming off the Druid the efficiency, playfulness and extra comfort are really noticeable, plus it’s lighter. The pedalling performance is the best I’ve encountered - super eager to pop forward but still surprisingly plush.