NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Aug. 7, 2022, 12:18 p.m.

As an update, a local SC dealer was doing a promo on bikes and extended said promo to out-of-stock bikes. So, Roubion ordered at a great price...hoping that it turns out to be a good fit but from what I can tell, unless doing a frame-up build on a bike with an aftermarket mullet link available, there isn't anything too comparable out there.

Aug. 7, 2022, 2:39 p.m.

Canyon spectral would have been a good contender, also a small druid with a Ziggy link might have been an interesting one (kinda aftermarket, but made by forbidden and I think available from the factory) but at any rate I'm sure she'll enjoy the SC!

Aug. 7, 2022, 3:08 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Canyon spectral would have been a good contender, also a small druid with a Ziggy link might have been an interesting one (kinda aftermarket, but made by forbidden and I think available from the factory) but at any rate I'm sure she'll enjoy the SC!

Yeah we checked out the Canyon - great spec but a little heavier overall (according to the manufacturers' claimed weights) and coil-equipped which probably wasn't needed for this bike, and my gf has an aversion to DTC brands since she's worried about support down the road which is a fair point. Looks like Forbidden is about to start selling Druids with Ziggy links installed from the factory, that looks like an awesome option but unfortunately not available yet from what I can tell. However if the Juliana doesn't mesh, sounds like a test ride at the local Forbidden dealer would definitely be in order. I really liked the Dreadnought I test rode before grabbing a Geometron so I'm sure the short travel bike is really nice too.

It's been interesting helping with this purchase process - whereas many of us here have eschewed bigger brands in favor of riding Geometrons or custom hardtails I have to admit that Santa Cruz, etc. do a pretty good job of selling capable/versatile bikes that work great for those who haven't yet developed a bunch of idiosyncratic preferences.

Last edited by: mrkdwrds on Aug. 7, 2022, 3:16 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 7, 2022, 4:35 p.m.

I know a lady who just got one of these. She’s the same height as your gf and she got the small. Overall she’s really liking it but did mention a bit of runaway train syndrome. I wonder about the stack because her seat is quite a bit below bar height. I think tall stack plus 29er front can be a bit of a challenge for smaller people to really weight and drive the front end. Might be easily solvable by changing the riser out for a flat bar.

Aug. 8, 2022, 11:20 a.m.

until druid virgins can make me a bike from unobtainium, I'm gona suffer along with Yeti or SC

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 8, 2022, 11:22 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 11, 2022, 9:52 p.m.

I did another thing. Scooted it forward about 4 inches since the pics, might scoot it forward a bit more to bring the weight more central. 

N E A T

neat

neat

Aug. 11, 2022, 10:12 p.m.

Is there any concern about that mount bending? I looks like the weight of the bike is all cantilevered off the back of the moto. How does it affect the suspension?

Aug. 11, 2022, 10:20 p.m.

The rack is a purpose built rack for a motorcycle from a company called 2x2 racks. It feels very burly and once the bike is mounted it feels super solid. The pic makes the bend look way drastic for some reason. In reality it's nearly flat. Scooting the bike mount forward in the rack also makes it flatter since the fork and pedal mount both slide independently back and forth within the actual mounted rack.

It does un-weight the fork and at low speed (parking lots, stop and go) it gets a little wandery unless I scoot up and hug the tank. If I do that it's totally fine, and once it's over 10kph that wandering feeling goes away completely. It does slow down the handling a bit due to both the physical added weight and the results of adding that weight (squatting suspension, leveraging the moto back and up). The rack is steel so it probably adds like 7+ pounds, the bike is mid 30s so it's probably close to an added like 43-45 pounds and none of that weight is low.

I will likely scoot it forwards another couple inches to bring the weight more central. I only did 1 test ride for like an hour and it will take some getting used to which is no surprise.

The bike is mainly used for commuting, some chill logging roads and now with the rack set up I will be using it to get to the local mountains.

If at any point I feel unsafe it's coming off.

Last edited by: thaaad on Aug. 11, 2022, 10:21 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 12, 2022, 10:10 a.m.

Posted by: thaaad

The rack is a purpose built rack for a motorcycle from a company called 2x2 racks. It feels very burly and once the bike is mounted it feels super solid. The pic makes the bend look way drastic for some reason. In reality it's nearly flat. Scooting the bike mount forward in the rack also makes it flatter since the fork and pedal mount both slide independently back and forth within the actual mounted rack.

It does un-weight the fork and at low speed (parking lots, stop and go) it gets a little wandery unless I scoot up and hug the tank. If I do that it's totally fine, and once it's over 10kph that wandering feeling goes away completely. It does slow down the handling a bit due to both the physical added weight and the results of adding that weight (squatting suspension, leveraging the moto back and up). The rack is steel so it probably adds like 7+ pounds, the bike is mid 30s so it's probably close to an added like 43-45 pounds and none of that weight is low.

I will likely scoot it forwards another couple inches to bring the weight more central. I only did 1 test ride for like an hour and it will take some getting used to which is no surprise.

The bike is mainly used for commuting, some chill logging roads and now with the rack set up I will be using it to get to the local mountains.

If at any point I feel unsafe it's coming off.

Nice setup. Can't you just dial in a couple turns of preload on the rear shock to balance out the weight? Happy Riding!

Aug. 12, 2022, 10:23 a.m.

Super cool. I saw a guy geared up with a similar setup at Westview center this morning. Giant DH bike, and a whole bunch of riding gear bunched up between him and the bike rack, no doubt headed to Crankworx.

Aug. 12, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

Yes nice setup with the moto. I thought about it a few times when I had motos, but never pulled the trigger.

Aug. 25, 2022, 3:55 p.m.

I finally got motivated to bust out the FS rig! Not a reason I wanted, but my toe lost a fight with a kitchen cabinet and once it's broken less badly I figure it would be nice to give it a stiff shoe and a cushy bike to ease back into shredding! ;-)

Aug. 25, 2022, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I finally got motivated to bust out the FS rig! Not a reason I wanted, but my toe lost a fight with a kitchen cabinet and once it's broken less badly I figure it would be nice to give it a stiff shoe and a cushy bike to ease back into shredding! ;-)

Sorry to hear that Vik. I'm riding my e-commuter with a cast on at the moment. Do what you gotta do....

Aug. 25, 2022, 9:50 p.m.

Posted by: skooks

Sorry to hear that Vik. I'm riding my e-commuter with a cast on at the moment. Do what you gotta do....

100%!!!

Aug. 28, 2022, 6:59 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

I'm still on my 2020 Reign

My Reign hasn't gotten much use this year due to testing the Spectral 125 and the Fluid but yesterday I chose the Reign to go ride Civil Disobedience in Powell River. Day trip with the ferry from Comox, met up with riding buddy visiting family there.

Awesome trail, not super difficult but it was certainly hard work up and down. Loved the raw natural singeltrack and was kind of glad I was on the Reign.

A few spots with nice views along the trail as well: