NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

May 3, 2022, 10:12 p.m.

Posted by: martin

@bushpilot My dream bike and build! If you are in Canada, I'd be curious to know what was the landed cost of the frame itself since I'll probably go the Nicolai/Geometron route for my next build. (You can PM me, if you feel like it).

How are you getting along with the Magura brakes ? I just received a set of MT5s with the Storm HC rotors and performance pads, can't wait to bolt them up to my bike.

I can’t remember the all in cost but I’ll look it up and PM you. I ordered a frame only from Geometron, along with some mutators, extra springs, extra dropout and a bearing replacement tool around June 2021.

The MT7s are, by far, my favourite brakes to date. I’ve been using the “race” pads exclusively for the last year or so. I’m sure you’ll love the MT5s.

May 4, 2022, 5:30 a.m.

Thanks! That's good to know. After reading many comments on the MT5 review, I think should have bought some "Race" pads. We'll see how the Performance one do, and since I bought two sets of "separated" pads, I'll replace the stock ones before first use.

There is only one 10-15 minute descent in our area that was able to get my single-piston SLX M7000 (with non-finned G04ti pads) to fade, and even then, it was just barely noticeable. The thicker Magura rotors will probably help too. Thanks again for the info, back to the full-suspension thread : )

May 4, 2022, 8:06 a.m.

Long time lurker on here, first time posting my bike. (From the east coast!)

New Forbidden Dreadnought custom build. 170mm Zeb Ultimate/Super Deluxe rear shock, Descendant carbon crankset, CODE RSC brakes with 200mm HS2 rotors, X01 Eagle transmission, Burgtec pedals and bars, Loamlab stem, 200mm Reverb, etc.

dreadnoughtdreadnought

May 8, 2022, 8:17 p.m.

That is a loud looking paint job on that Dreadnought. Great looking build!

June 23, 2022, 9:16 p.m.

I’m torn. I’ve been on a Druid for a couple years but really starting to feel like some with a little more travel, slightly more efficient, a little more reach in Large. The Druid has always felt shorter than I’d like.

In many respects, I’m realising that I really liked my Devinci Spartan 29 with coil - the geo was solid, and running it with a little less sag it was a really enjoyable bike for almost anything.

I feel like when I shortlist I end up with a spectrum that looks like

Shorter travel: 130LR (would take my existing push)

Rides sprightly: Ripmo v2 (would take my existing push)

Arrival

Revel Rail 29

Atherton

Longer/ rides burlier:

Rallon

SB150 (I expect a mid life revision in the short term and suspect it will address my main gripes with the 150 platform).

This is t necessarily the perfect thread, but I’m curious on perspectives and experiences here.

Last edited by: Heinous on June 23, 2022, 9:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 24, 2022, 6:37 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

I’m torn. I’ve been on a Druid for a couple years but really starting to feel like some with a little more travel, slightly more efficient, a little more reach in Large. The Druid has always felt shorter than I’d like.

In many respects, I’m realising that I really liked my Devinci Spartan 29 with coil - the geo was solid, and running it with a little less sag it was a really enjoyable bike for almost anything.

Arrival

Revel Rail 29

Atherton

Longer/ rides burlier:

Rallon

SB150 (I expect a mid life revision in the short term and suspect it will address my main gripes with the 150 platform).

This is t necessarily the perfect thread, but I’m curious on perspectives and experiences here.

Probably on the burlier/less sprightly end of the spectrum but I've been on a Commencal Meta TR29 since March and I recommend it if you still favor the descents over the climbing performance. I feel like it's more efficient than my previous Starling Murmur and a more comfortable (and more capable technical) climber. Good value as well, depending on the build of course. I went with the Ohlins/AXS version for a bit less than $7k out the door.

On the other end of the spectrum, maybe check out Pivots 429 (the Enduro version specifically) for an all-day pedaling machine?

Edit to note I have no comparable to the Druid or any HP bike for that matter.  I've been interested but the thought of potential added drag and more maintenance has dissuaded me.

Last edited by: michel77 on June 24, 2022, 6:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 24, 2022, 8:29 p.m.

The drag is minor (I’m running a cascade guide so that helps) and the maintenance has been no more than other bikes, except for the fact I’ve needed a new linkage as mine was slightly out of alignment from factory.

June 24, 2022, 8:58 p.m.

Lots of interesting and great bikes out there these days. 

Personally I had a ripmo AF for a little over a year, it was ok but I could never get the suspension dialled. If set up to descend well it felt sluggish everywhere else. If set up to pedal well I didn't feel it descended well. I tried several shocks etc and could never find a middle ground. 

Then I had a Raaw Jibb breifly, the steep seat angle and longish chainstays did not work for me at all.

Now I'm on a Revel Rascal and I love it. 

That makes me want to recommend the rail 29, but they're not long bikes. If the druid feels short I don't think they'll work for you as they have relatively long seat tubes as well, so sizing up is not really an option. 

Rallon is an interesting one. I feel like it's probably spiritually the most similar to a previous gen Spartan 29?

Waiting for the next gen yetis could be a thing, too. They must be due soon.

June 25, 2022, 5:14 p.m.

Yeah, the rail would be maybe 7mm longer than my large Druid with 160mm fork. The Atherton is 470mm or 480, 475mm would be perfect (I’m not really keen to pay the extra for custom length).

June 30, 2022, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Lots of interesting and great bikes out there these days. 

Personally I had a ripmo AF for a little over a year, it was ok but I could never get the suspension dialled. If set up to descend well it felt sluggish everywhere else. If set up to pedal well I didn't feel it descended well. I tried several shocks etc and could never find a middle ground. 

I was also not overly impressed with my RAF in the first year I had it. Suspension wasn't active enough for rowdy descending, and I'd bottom it out way too much if the air can wasn't crammed full of spacers. Then I put a Cascade link on and it became almost perfect. The clevis bushings really turn me off, but everything else is pretty great now. I also love how I can service my fork and shock myself with the DVO stuff, saves a bunch of cake.

June 30, 2022, 9:26 p.m.

I sold mine just before the link came out and I've heard a lot of great reviews. That said I was also able to make the rear 203mm rotor clang against the inside chainstay almost at will on hard right hand corners. The rear end flex was really noticeable (I'm about 220lb with gear). I also feel like I won't buy and aftermarket link for my essentially brand new bike to make it feel decent just on principle, but if it's an acceptable solution for others that is great!

No regrets with the Revel Rascal, I love it, and I think I am pretty picky about what I like in a bike, so I'm glad we found each other haha.

July 4, 2022, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

I sold mine just before the link came out and I've heard a lot of great reviews. That said I was also able to make the rear 203mm rotor clang against the inside chainstay almost at will on hard right hand corners. The rear end flex was really noticeable (I'm about 220lb with gear). I also feel like I won't buy and aftermarket link for my essentially brand new bike to make it feel decent just on principle, but if it's an acceptable solution for others that is great!

No regrets with the Revel Rascal, I love it, and I think I am pretty picky about what I like in a bike, so I'm glad we found each other haha.

Glad it worked out! The RAF certainly isn't the stiffest rear end, so it doesn't surprise me that it may not be adequate for some in that regard. At 178lbs, I haven't had an issue with stiffness. Regarding the link upgrade, considering the complete bike was $4100CAD after tax in 2020, the $200 for the link was well worth it (but I catch your drift).

July 4, 2022, 3:37 p.m.

Arrival

Revel Rail 29

Atherton

Longer/ rides burlier:

Rallon

Throw the Nicolai Saturn 15/16 and G1 into the mix as well. Have heard now that Geometron abandoned the S1 platform that they plan a G1 short travel kit.

I was looking at a S1/Saturn 15/16 but it appears according to the Nicolai website at least that the S15/16 and G1 frames are the same base weight.  

Arrival and Atherton are top plastic bikes imo. I really considered a Robot a few years ago.

July 5, 2022, 4:17 p.m.

Thanks, I had Nicolai on my mind. I'd really like the bike to pedal well and bridge the gap to more pedal friendly trail bikes - both the Atherton and Arrival seem to do that (likely aided by lots of progression and relatively low sag designs).

The earliest I'd have an Atherton is near Christmas, an Arrival could be a lot sooner.

July 6, 2022, 7:59 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Arrival

Revel Rail 29

Atherton

Longer/ rides burlier:

Rallon

Throw the Nicolai Saturn 15/16 and G1 into the mix as well. Have heard now that Geometron abandoned the S1 platform that they plan a G1 short travel kit.

I was looking at a S1/Saturn 15/16 but it appears according to the Nicolai website at least that the S15/16 and G1 frames are the same base weight.  

Arrival and Atherton are top plastic bikes imo. I really considered a Robot a few years ago.

They just introduced the new Saturn 16 and they're abandoning that platform? My understanding is that the S16 frame is about 400g lighter than a comparable G1 frame, which makes sense. If I lived anywhere but the S2S corridor the S16 would be my top pick.