NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

April 22, 2022, 11:50 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Other than the pointy downtube bend (which could just be the photo) that Transalpes looks cleeeeeean.

it uses a super tiny motor from a swiss motor company, they also provided the motors for the last mars rover. sadly i couldnt get a good deal in them

April 23, 2022, 9:10 p.m.

Ha, I had completely missed that that Orbea is an e-bike the first time I looked at that photo, I just thought the water bottle looked funny ;-)

Very nice spacious workshop as well, Sethimus.

April 23, 2022, 10:54 p.m.

Posted by: Poz

Posted by: Sethimus

my 2022 ride, just build up <3

Nice looking ride. That’s the most bike looking e-bike I think I’ve seen. I had to zoom in to confirm it.

Tidy! My wife has a Rise and it’s awesome. Really good value, excellent spec with no corners cut, and the lightweight makes it really rideable and manoeuvrable for her.

April 24, 2022, 11:17 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Ha, I had completely missed that that Orbea is an e-bike the first time I looked at that photo, I just thought the water bottle looked funny ;-)

i won’t use the range extender much. after a few tests i expect 1500-1800m vertical meters if i use it mostly in eco/trail. saturdays ride i used the boost mode for about 700m and still managed to get out 1250m vertical with around 10% left. 

those light ebikes will be growing in numbers in the coming years. they ride so much more like a non motor bike and having less capacity you automatically try to reduce the output

April 25, 2022, 7:02 a.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

Posted by: [email protected]

i won’t use the range extender much. after a few tests i expect 1500-1800m vertical meters if i use it mostly in eco/trail. saturdays ride i used the boost mode for about 700m and still managed to get out 1250m vertical with around 10% left. 

those light ebikes will be growing in numbers in the coming years. they ride so much more like a non motor bike and having less capacity you automatically try to reduce the output

This kind of ebike is so much more appealing to me. Less power, less weight, longer burn time. Just enough assist to make everything a bit smoother.

April 25, 2022, 7:29 a.m.

That bike confirms my Ebike argument. All of my Ebike buddies say they're great for getting out for quick dad laps while the kid naps, and then brag about how they were in full boost the whole time and still have %60 battery. So I'm thinking to myself, why have a the big dog super heavy battery if you're not using it? Why not have something more like the Orbea and actually enjoy the downhills more?

April 25, 2022, 7:42 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

That bike confirms my Ebike argument. All of my Ebike buddies say they're great for getting out for quick dad laps while the kid naps, and then brag about how they were in full boost the whole time and still have %60 battery. So I'm thinking to myself, why have a the big dog super heavy battery if you're not using it? Why not have something more like the Orbea and actually enjoy the downhills more?

You have the big battery so you can run full boost mode on a longer ride as well. The quick kid nap laps aren't going to be the only missions. You really don't want to be running to the end of your battery on any regular sort of basis. You might have to pedal without assist.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 25, 2022, 7:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2022, 8:20 a.m.

Modular batteries. Small one just enough for "dad laps" then 1-2 mid sized range extender batteries. 

Some of the Levo Sl guys are removing the main battery and just riding with the lighter range extender.

April 25, 2022, 9:08 a.m.

No real rides on it yet, but I sold the Jibb and bought a used Revel Rascal for roughly even money. 

It doesn't have a motor or a steep seat tube angle, so I guess it's unrideable and not even a mountain bike, but we'll see.

I basically went 2017 Bronson - Ripmo AF - Jibb, and every time the geo got more "modern" the bikes felt worse. 

Pedalling around the neighborhood, the bike feels very... Normal.. which is good and what I wanted, so I'm hopeful.

Some real ride impressions this week. 

Left the lyrik at 160 for now. 

April 25, 2022, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

No real rides on it yet, but I sold the Jibb and bought a used Revel Rascal for roughly even money. 

It doesn't have a motor or a steep seat tube angle, so I guess it's unrideable and not even a mountain bike, but we'll see.

I basically went 2017 Bronson - Ripmo AF - Jibb, and every time the geo got more "modern" the bikes felt worse. 

Pedalling around the neighborhood, the bike feels very... Normal.. which is good and what I wanted, so I'm hopeful.

Some real ride impressions this week. 

Left the lyrik at 160 for now. 

That makes sense. Longer bikes with steep seat angle aren't for everyone. It's great that there's plenty of different bikes with different fit/design philosophies that everyone can get what they prefer.

April 25, 2022, 10:02 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Any way you cut it any enduro bike is 32 lbs/ an EP8 motor is 6 lbs/ a battery is gona be 8 lbs which adds up to just under 50lbs, the extra weight is low on the bike so IME I got used to the weight pretty quick,

I got the shimano 630W battery which is more than enough for an afternoon of riding, extra batteries are expensive, i am usually in boost, so what happens is I am just riding twice as far,  

instead of maxing out the heart to do one lap up/down I can do 2 or 3 laps in boost and still have 1 bar left, but the motor lets me rail berms going going up and down so Full boost is just a lot of fun

I think riding at a more even cadence in a lower HR zone, is better for me, I even lose weight

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 25, 2022, 10:07 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 25, 2022, 10:29 a.m.

Ha! I'm glad you found something you enjoy. I'm not a fan of those "modern" trends either. Good thing there are still other options available.

April 30, 2022, 5:50 a.m.

First ride was definitely a tweaking ride. Second ride was the first time maybe ever that I finished a ride and thought "this bike is perfect, I need to change nothing". Super stoked on the Revel. It could be new bike Googles but the ripmo AF and jibb did not give me this vibe when new. 

Yay! Wierd to not feel like I have tinkering to do though. Some purple headset spacers and seat clamp maybe. Lol.

April 30, 2022, 9:40 p.m.

I just picked up a 2015 Transition Patrol for similar geo reasons. It rides so nice!

May 1, 2022, 12:34 a.m.

First ride was definitely a tweaking ride. Second ride was the first time maybe ever that I finished a ride and thought "this bike is perfect, I need to change nothing". Super stoked on the Revel. It could be new bike Googles but the ripmo AF and jibb did not give me this vibe when new. 

Yay! Wierd to not feel like I have tinkering to do though. Some purple headset spacers and seat clamp maybe. Lol.

If nothing performance changing, purple ano is a psychological upgrade.