NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

April 19, 2022, 10:40 a.m.

Here's my new Banshee Prime v3.2...no weight yet as I don't own a bike scale...but it's hella fun out on the trails. 

Banshee Prime v3.2

April 19, 2022, 10:43 a.m.

Nice rig. I'll listen for the howl of the Banshee when I am in the forest! :-)

April 19, 2022, 11:04 a.m.

Hopefully we can get a ride in this week Vik. Let's hope my wrist heals fast! Now to turn the Rootdown into something a little different....

April 19, 2022, 11:54 a.m.

Definitely. Heal up fast!

April 19, 2022, 11:58 a.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Here's my new Banshee Prime v3.2...no weight yet as I don't own a bike scale...but it's hella fun out on the trails. 

Banshee Prime v3.2

Nice!

What's the difference between the V3 and the V3.2? Mine is V3.  Also, I need to pick up one of those fenders.

April 19, 2022, 12:03 p.m.

Posted by: pedalhound

Banshee Prime v3.2

Hawt!

April 19, 2022, 12:51 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Nice! What's the difference between the V3 and the V3.2? Mine is V3.  Also, I need to pick up one of those fenders.

The new V3.2 has a 30.9mm seatpost whereas the original V3 had a 31.6mm. Think they had some reliability issues or something with them. This change was also made to a few of the other V3 lineup.

April 19, 2022, 1:29 p.m.

Wierd! You'd think if anything they'd go 34.9mm (I wish everyone would) .

Edit: resizing maybe the went smaller so the outside diameter of the tube could stay the same but the wall size could be thicker.

Last edited by: Kenny on April 19, 2022, 1:31 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2022, 8:47 p.m.

Same Megatower as last year as it really was great plus I plan to keep this for a long time as per my usual but also damn look at the e prices for the new mega. Had a lot of good days on it last year all over the province. Only got it out for the first ride of the year today as we’ve been skiing.

Updates this year are mostly drivetrain.

- 165 RF Atlas cranks

- one up oval 28t

- SLX cassette

- one up EDC light

Cannot believe how much of a difference going from 170 to 165 with cranks would make in ground contact but it was noticeable today on a trail that usually causes problems. Not sure if the oval makes a difference.

Last year I had an ethirteen cassette which wore out far too fast. Went to replace it and it’s pretty much seized to the freehub. Never again.

Last edited by: Poz on April 19, 2022, 8:47 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 20, 2022, 2:45 a.m.

Posted by: Lynx

Nice! What's the difference between the V3 and the V3.2? Mine is V3.  Also, I need to pick up one of those fenders.

The new V3.2 has a 30.9mm seatpost whereas the original V3 had a 31.6mm. Think they had some reliability issues or something with them. This change was also made to a few of the other V3 lineup.

The V3.2 has more seatpost insertion depth. Seems like the welds on the thinner walled seat tube of the V3.0 sometimes interfered with the seatpost.

April 20, 2022, 3:26 a.m.

Posted by: Timer

The V3.2 has more seatpost insertion depth. Seems like the welds on the thinner walled seat tube of the V3.0 sometimes interfered with the seatpost.

There have been cracks on Primes and Titans at the weld above the shock cage on V3 bikes so keep an eye... making the tube thicker should help alleviate this.

April 20, 2022, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: Poz

Same Megatower as last year as it really was great plus I plan to keep this for a long time as per my usual but also damn look at the e prices for the new mega. Had a lot of good days on it last year all over the province. Only got it out for the first ride of the year today as we’ve been skiing.

Updates this year are mostly drivetrain. - 165 RF Atlas cranks - one up oval 28t - SLX cassette - one up EDC light

Cannot believe how much of a difference going from 170 to 165 with cranks would make in ground contact but it was noticeable today on a trail that usually causes problems. Not sure if the oval makes a difference.

Last year I had an ethirteen cassette which wore out far too fast. Went to replace it and it’s pretty much seized to the freehub. Never again.

Next time just get the Deore cassette, all the cogs are steel, should last even longer, especially if you're someone who uses the big pie plate a lot. Only reason I'd get SLX or pricier is if I wanted the 45-10 option. other than that, the few grams gained vs longevity are a no brainer.

Last edited by: Lynx on April 20, 2022, 8:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 20, 2022, 8:58 a.m.

Also, its running the Fox Float X now instead of the DPX. They say on their site that they made geometry tweaks too...but also using a taller fork, so I don't know if the changes are from a new design or just the fork a/c change.

April 20, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

Updates this year are mostly drivetrain. - 165 RF Atlas cranks - one up oval 28t - SLX cassette - one up EDC light

Next time just get the Deore cassette, all the cogs are steel, should last even longer, especially if you're someone who uses the big pie plate a lot. Only reason I'd get SLX or pricier is if I wanted the 45-10 option. other than that, the few grams gained vs longevity are a no brainer.

That was the plan but I was struggling to find a Deore (that was the same reason I ended up with the eThirteen!) so I gave up when I came across an SLX.

April 20, 2022, 12:17 p.m.

That was the plan but I was struggling to find a Deore (that was the same reason I ended up with the eThirteen!) so I gave up when I came across an SLX.

Sucks to hear about your e13 cassette experience. I've had the opposite experience. The new Helix R cassette has been on my Norco Sight since last spring and is still looking/working great. I may replace the alu part of the cassette (42/50 cogs) this summer to freshen it up if required....I agree Deore all steel would last longer, but Deore is also over a half pound (250g) heavier so (for me) thats a deal breaker...I had an XT cassette seize to my freehub before so thats no picnic...None of my e13 have though (on my 3rd on different bikes)....