NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

April 11, 2022, 4:22 p.m.

I found it at the bottom of the tyre pile. We've got hero dirt ATM, so giving it a hoon for nostalgias sake before it turns completely to stone. 

I desperately wanted this tyre when it came out (early '00s?) but couldn't track one down. It's coming up 60mm carcass on an i30 rim, rolls fast, holds an edge OK, and I'd buy one today in modern rubber. Oh well.

April 11, 2022, 9:04 p.m.

Oh man that’s a throwback. I had some White Tigers that could not be seated straight to save my life. I think I remembered they rolled slow but had a lot of grip.  

Way ahead of the curve compared to the maxxis tires I have now that also don’t stay straight for long.

April 12, 2022, 2:42 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

After posting this I was looking at the picture and realised there was a bit more Max I'd left on the table. The dropouts were in the middle position due to the limited saddle tilt available on the previous dropper. 

Put it in low this morning, tilted the saddle forward a bit and gave it a hoon. 0.5° isn't enough HTA change to spend on, but when it's there for the taking... Should be ~63.5°- 64° now.

April 17, 2022, 8:42 a.m.

Inaugural dirt ride for the Banshee Prime this morning, on Easter Sunday before the kids got up. Built this guy up late last summer then had heart surgery and couldn't ride trail during the 8 month recovery period ... feeling better now.

April 17, 2022, 10:27 a.m.

Outrageous build, and a perfect day for renewal. Welcome back to the dirt!

April 17, 2022, 12:54 p.m.

Posted by: rnayel

Inaugural dirt ride for the Banshee Prime this morning, on Easter Sunday before the kids got up. Built this guy up late last summer then had heart surgery and couldn't ride trail during the 8 month recovery period ... feeling better now.

I'm RAW with envy. Congrats on the fine ride and being back on the trails. :-)

April 17, 2022, 3:12 p.m.

That's great, congrats on the recovery, the beautiful bike, and getting back on the trails!

April 17, 2022, 3:40 p.m.

Hey man, congrats on a successful recovery, now get some good miles on that beautiful looking Prime you have and keep building back to your old fitness - love the Raw, all my Banshee's are full Raw. Would love to try one of the new V3 Phantoms, unfortunately they followed the too steep STA trend (can't blame them, that's what people are thinking they need right now), so won't work for me sadly.

Here's my newly resurrected 2014 V1 Phantom, really do love this bike, so happy to have it back in the fleet. Have since managed to also resurrect an old 150mm Reverb dropper for it, but would still like to get a rebuild kit for my 9point8 FalllLine with offset head and get that back up and running. Have 3 wheelsets with tyres available for it, 29x2.3" XC, 29x2.3 Trail and 29x2.6" Trail/AMish setups, so can sort of change the attitude of it a bit with a wheel swap. Also still have my 650B+ 2.8" wheelset I could throw on as well. Love the versatility of these bikes and their drop out system.

Last edited by: Lynx on April 17, 2022, 3:51 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 17, 2022, 4:18 p.m.

Nice bike! Nice backdrop! 

Whereabouts is that? Never been, but I imagine Puerto Rico looking like that.

April 18, 2022, 7:12 a.m.

Posted by: Lynx

unfortunately they followed the too steep STA trend (can't blame them, that's what people are thinking they need right now), so won't work for me sadly.

Tall people need steeper STA, myself being one of them. Shorter people, I would say under 6' could do with slacker as the post isn't a mile long.

April 18, 2022, 7:15 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Tall people need steeper STA, myself being one of them. Shorter people, I would say under 6' could do with slacker as the post isn't a mile long.

9point8 makes a quality dropper with a 1" offset head to slacken a STA for those so inclined. I've got two of their posts in the fleet as I am not a fan of steep STAs.

April 18, 2022, 8:19 a.m.

**Posted by: T-mack **Tall people need steeper STA, myself being one of them. Shorter people, I would say under 6' could do with slacker as the post isn't a mile long.

Hey T-mack, like a certain other poster is always doing, you forgot to put the obligatory IMHO infront your statement, because I'm 6'2" with a 35.25" inseam and I don't like or want a bike with an ESTA steeper than 74 degrees. I don't have the privilege to live in the mountains, so my rides involve a whole load of different types of terrain, flat, rolling, technical rolling, mellow climbs, technical climbs, step climbs, janky slow tech descents, fast descents, so that steep ESTA doesn't work, not when you want to not spin like a hamster in a super easy gear and want to crank out some good miles.

Agree with Vik, have a 9point8 dropper, needs new seals, was the most expensive dropper on the market when I bought it back in 2016, but it was and think, pretty much still is that offered a setback head and it worked really good for 4 years till I tried a new grease which I think is what destroyed the seals. Once I can get the rebuild kit in and get it back up, I'll be rocking that again, for sure, but for right now, I'll take a slightly slacker HTA and shorter reach, while using my adjustable drop outs on my Banshee's to slacken the ESTA out to my liking.

**Posted by: Hepcat **Nice bike! Nice backdrop! Whereabouts is that? Never been, but I imagine Puerto Rico looking like that.

Actually, it's in Soup Bowl, Bathsheba, Barbados in the Caribbean/West Indies, at the start of one of my fav trails that runs basically right along the coast.

Last edited by: Lynx on April 18, 2022, 8:24 a.m., edited 4 times in total.
April 18, 2022, 5:20 p.m.

I've been riding more with folks on FS bikes lately. I'm starting to get a bit of FS stoke building. Not enough yet to actually do anything about it, but I'll dig out that fresh rear tire I bought for my GG Smash next week or so and get it installed plus refresh the sealant front/back by May. I tend to like mostly riding one bike at a time to get dialed on it so I'll probably hang up the geared hardtail for the summer. The SS hardtail will still get some use as I have a SS buddy here now plus my local XC trails would be totally overkill for a FS bike.

Last edited by: Vikb on April 18, 2022, 5:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 19, 2022, 3:16 a.m.

Glad you recovered OK!

The Prime looks great! Slightly nicer/lighter/blingier build than mine.

April 19, 2022, 8:20 a.m.

Prime is looking sweet! Congrats on the bike and congrats on being back out on the trails!!!!