NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Feb. 14, 2022, 9:47 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider
I think the extra 3600 over the knolly is a no brainer.

A x01 santacruz megatower with the same hubs but alloy race face rims is 1100 more expensive at 11099$. Just putting it out there.

Is is actually a "yes-brainer" for me ! I was more looking into the 7/8k range, which seems already crazy enough for what is is.

I mean, you get a really decent car for that price. The way prices have gone up in the last few years is very frustrating.

I know it's a lot of engineering, and everything, but, in my opinion, market has gone crazy.

I also think SC bikes are way overrated.

Last edited by: Vincent66 on Feb. 14, 2022, 11:45 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 14, 2022, 11:47 a.m.

I find that with all modern bikes (bb sits below the wheel axles) it is absolutely beneficial to change or learn the proper manual technique. 

It is not about pulling the bars but instead mainly thrusting forward and a little downward with your feet through your hips. 

You need the right (not too low, not too high) bar height and it will feel natural with enough practice. 

Pulling on the bars worked with 26“ bikes or BMX, it doesn’t any longer.

I struggled with the manual for years (more like decades), but I finally learned it on the bike with the longest chainstays I ever owned. 

I now can do it pretty effortless for a minute or longer (if there’s a long enough road with a slope. 

On narrow trails my hit rate is much lower, but I can lift the front wheel practically effortless for a couple of meters basically anywhere on long bikes, which increased my confidence in a lot of situations).

It was about technique and not geometry (in my case). Ryan Leech’s online course and the L-hint (your hip must make an L shaped movement while lifting the front wheel).

Before mastering this particular technique there where certain situations on long 29ers where I was more passenger than rider.

That said, benefits of long geometries can be enjoyed in most situations without much rider input. 

I hope that doesn’t sound too haughty. It isn’t meant that way. I am in no way a pro rider. 

Maybe it helps if you film yourself riding the bike to see potential for adjustment and unlock the full potential? 

The 440mm chainstays will make a noticeable difference anyhow!

Feb. 14, 2022, 7:23 p.m.

Posted by: Znarf

I find that with all modern bikes (bb sits below the wheel axles) it is absolutely beneficial to change or learn the proper manual technique. 

No doubt technique helps, but my previous bike was a ripmo af - lower bottom bracket, longer reach, less stack, yet it did not have the same too-far-forward feeling, and getting the front end up was fine. Main difference was chainstay length so yeah, hopefully 440 helps. :)

Feb. 14, 2022, 11:14 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

No doubt technique helps, but my previous bike was a ripmo af - lower bottom bracket, longer reach, less stack, yet it did not have the same too-far-forward feeling, and getting the front end up was fine. Main difference was chainstay length so yeah, hopefully 440 helps. :)

Okay! Fingers crossed!

Feb. 14, 2022, 11:24 p.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Good call on trying the 440 cs. When I had a similar unbalance on my previous bike (a Geometron g16) my gf suggested a bit of rear shock tuning. The idea was to increase the spring rate to get more support, lower lsc to keep it smooth and slow down lsr to avoid getting pitched over the front. That worked a treat on that bike at least!

Feb. 16, 2022, 9:31 a.m.

The stack height on the new Element is a bit high for my tastes. It wondered like a drunk on the climbs. So moved the shock to position 2 to raise the seat hieght a bit in relationto the bar, put a 50mm Chromag Ranger stem (they are 0deg and have a low stack), swapped a Salsa Salt Flat 31.8x770 carbon flat bar. Took it out for a 27km XC rip. What a difference!!!! The bike is a rocket now!!!!! Climbs and decends better. Plus the 31.8 carbon bar with 11deg sweep feels so good. So comfortable. Now my bar is so low the shift pod hits the top tube, so to protect it I put Ride Wrap chainstay rubber on it

Feb. 16, 2022, 11:55 a.m.

Nice, I also really like the Salt Flat, I find the 11 degree sweep comfortable on my abused hands and arms while still shreddable unlike more extreme sweeps.  I run mine at 800mm.

Feb. 22, 2022, 6:34 a.m.

Since Oct. 2020 in my stable and still going strong….I love my Rocky Altitude.

Feb. 22, 2022, 8:51 a.m.

2020 Rocky Thunderbolt. The geo is outdated and it's too small even in size XL, but the suspension works great and it pedals well. The adjustable geometry feature is good also. I had to chop the seat tube by 1.5" to get a 210mm dropper in, and I think I'm going to install an angleset as well.

Feb. 22, 2022, 9:41 a.m.

That looks like a super fun bike. Always loved the Thunderbolt

Last edited by: heathen on Feb. 22, 2022, 9:41 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 23, 2022, 10:57 a.m.

Agreed, thunderbolts are so cool. That whole category of bike seems to be a dying breed, which is a bummer. 

Two laps of Seymour on the weekend with the 440mm stays on the Jibb, and to me the bike definitely feels more balanced, at least for how I ride. 

If there was a 435mm option, I'd probably try it, but this is better. At the risk of the bike losing some character, I think what it also could use is an angleset.  I think then the "ratio" would be right for me. One interesting thing to consider is that the Madonna has more reach, is slacker, and has a longer fork, but same chainstay length as the jibb for a given size. So for a given front center length, the Madonna actually has proportionally shorter chainstays.

March 3, 2022, 8:58 a.m.

Used to be fairly active on nsmb.com 10+ years ago (old user name Banshee Brown.) Had an 04 Cove Peeler DH with 00 Monster T's around that time and really missed a squishy coil & oil single pivot sled. Most recent bike was an 09 Ibis Mojo SL which was an incredible light all mountain type bike with the DW Link suspension, but it just wasn't for me with the 69 degree head angle etc it was way too sketchy on any serious descents.  I think I took it to a bike park once or twice and I really missed the confidence of blasting through stuff on my old tank Peeler with Monsters.

Anyway, this 02 Foes The Fly showed up locally on pinkbike and I had to have it. In great shape for 20 year old bike overall. It has 01 Marzocchi Shivers which feel very responsive as well as a Romic shock. I think the suspension has been serviced recently as it feels fresh.  All I have planned so far is some fresh ODI grips and trimming down the bars an inch or so. 31.5" seems a bit much. I'd guess it's weighing in around 45-47 lbs. Lighter than the Cove, but I knew what I was getting into with a relic freeride build.

March 3, 2022, 12:36 p.m.

Posted by: FoesFly02

Used to be fairly active on nsmb.com 10+ years ago (old user name Banshee Brown.) Had an 04 Cove Peeler DH with 00 Monster T's around that time and really missed a squishy coil & oil single pivot sled. Most recent bike was an 09 Ibis Mojo SL which was an incredible light all mountain type bike with the DW Link suspension, but it just wasn't for me with the 69 degree head angle etc it was way too sketchy on any serious descents.  I think I took it to a bike park once or twice and I really missed the confidence of blasting through stuff on my old tank Peeler with Monsters.

Anyway, this 02 Foes The Fly showed up locally on pinkbike and I had to have it. In great shape for 20 year old bike overall. It has 01 Marzocchi Shivers which feel very responsive as well as a Romic shock. I think the suspension has been serviced recently as it feels fresh.  All I have planned so far is some fresh ODI grips and trimming down the bars an inch or so. 31.5" seems a bit much. I'd guess it's weighing in around 45-47 lbs. Lighter than the Cove, but I knew what I was getting into with a relic freeride build.

That is awesome!!! Great find! I used to have a Foes Mono DHS, loved that bike. Always wanted a Fly!

Enjoy it!

March 3, 2022, 5:50 p.m.

Posted by: kavurider

Posted by: FoesFly02

That is awesome!!! Great find! I used to have a Foes Mono DHS, loved that bike. Always wanted a Fly!

Enjoy it!

Right on, I remember lusting over that bike.

March 3, 2022, 6:45 p.m.

Wow. That is sick! Nice one!