NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 23, 2022, 4:51 p.m.

@heathen Man that's a cool build but aren't those spokes a bit too tight?!!  : Þ

Looks like you could fit another bottle behind the seat tube!

Jan. 23, 2022, 5:17 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

You know, if you lost one of those bottles I would bet that you would have room for a couple of sandwiches.

I’ll be curious about your experience moving to 29. I’m about to make the same move and I’m still on the fence about it.

The jump he is making is a big one IMO. 27.5 bikes to a very long/modern geo 29er. I bet he will be blown away how fast it is, how stable it is and how well it corners at speed and then 1 month later he will take out his 27.5 again and realize everything he was missing. (this of course coming from someone who has a great fondness for 27.5. For me 29 has a place in my bikes as a hardtail but the difference when it comes to poppy nimble fun is stark. It just depends on why you were on 27.5. In his case, he buys new bikes more frequently than me (no small feat)! Which means he is not riding 27.5 for lack of updating since the industry moved on to 29. I too am curious how the element will stack up. Everyone at pinkbike was pretty blown away with this bike so you'd think anyone would be crazy not to love it, but from 27.5.....it might be a bit of a transition.....get it? That was a pun on his last bike.

Jan. 23, 2022, 7:51 p.m.

Update on my Privateer: 

• Nukeproof Horizon v2 wheels;
  • SLX 12-speed group; 
  • 200mm Galfer wave rotors;
  • Ergon grips and saddle.

It rolls around and the hub sounds buzzy. Everything is snowed in up here still, so we'll see if it changes my life going to wider rims and shorter cranks.

Also, I put on a basic black alloy bottle cage. and lo-and-behold, bottles go in and out just fine. Lezyne must be part of the "Big Bottle Cage" cabal trying to sell snake oil with their flow cages. I may still get a stainless king cage, but we shall see.

Jan. 25, 2022, 2:05 p.m.

You know, if you lost one of those bottles I would bet that you would have room for a couple of sandwiches.

I’ll be curious about your experience moving to 29. I’m about to make the same move and I’m still on the fence about it.

I am 5'6 or 5'8ish and ride aggressively. I have demoed many 29er one of my main beef is the rear tire hitting me in the ass. I am also not a huge fan of how they corner. My main bike is a 2021 Transition Scout bumped up to 160x150mm travel and it is about as perfect a bike as I could ask for. IMO for my height and riding style 27.5 is the size for me. For an XC bike I am not as worried about the rear tire hitting my bum as XC bikes are not meant for aggressive steep riding.

Jan. 25, 2022, 2:38 p.m.

The Elemental is all built up now. Had my first shake down ride. Such a fun bike! Need to play with air pressure and tokens more and I will need to get a flat bar for it, as I feel the front is a bit high with the stem slammed and a 20mm riser bar.  So I have a Whiskey 31.8 flat bar on order. Also going to move the shock to position 2 to rise me up to get the front a bit lower. 

Made a few upgrades over the stock C30

• Nobl wheels with 350 hubs and purple nipples

• Wheels MFG tread together BB as I kill BB

• Maxxis DHF 2.5WT front Recon 2.4WT rear both MaxxTerra EXO 

• Guide Ultimate brakes 200x180

• Race Face Aeffect R 165mm cranks

• OneUp 180mm dropper 

• Special Ed Power saddle

• OneUp Canada Arm chain guide

• 50mm Chromag Ranger with Whiskey 31.8x770 flat bar

• Purple Wolftooth headset and seat collar 

• Crank Bros Candy pedals when ever they arrive. 

In a fun side story the Element was featured on Nobl wheels IG.

https://www.instagram.com/noblwheels/p/CZIgGPjJoNK/?utm_medium=copy_link

Jan. 25, 2022, 3:31 p.m.

Is the Power saddle a new venture for you, or have you been using it for a while?

Interested what it's like without a chamois.. Still hunting for the perfect iron taint perch, testing a Chromag Mood DT next but have a buddy who rates his Power.

Jan. 25, 2022, 3:59 p.m.

I have a Power Expert 143mm on all 5 of my bikes. I have been running them since 2016. Love them.

One of the cool features I don't think gets talked about enough is the short nose is so much more comfortable on steep tech climbs.

Last edited by: heathen on Jan. 25, 2022, 4:04 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Jan. 25, 2022, 7:55 p.m.

“OneUp Canada Arm chain guide”

How is that not it’s official name?

Jan. 25, 2022, 8:13 p.m.

Posted by: heathen

I am 5'6 or 5'8ish and ride aggressively. I have demoed many 29er one of my main beef is the rear tire hitting me in the ass. I am also not a huge fan of how they corner. My main bike is a 2021 Transition Scout bumped up to 160x150mm travel and it is about as perfect a bike as I could ask for. IMO for my height and riding style 27.5 is the size for me. For an XC bike I am not as worried about the rear tire hitting my bum as XC bikes are not meant for aggressive steep riding.

I,m just over 5'10" with a 32" inseam. I buzzed my nuts on my 26" all the time. It's part of riding , you do adjust your posture in time. A buddy of mine . He's your height he just got a 29er.And he's loving it .His last bike was a 27.5".

Jan. 25, 2022, 8:19 p.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

“OneUp Canada Arm chain guide”

How is that not it’s official name?

They are specifically made for Rocky bikes as they mount directly to the main pivot nut. Their real name is Canada Arm

Jan. 25, 2022, 10:38 p.m.

Cheers, Heathen. 

And for the TMI, chamois or not?

Last edited by: velocipedestrian on Jan. 25, 2022, 10:38 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 26, 2022, 1:25 a.m.

That Element looks awesome, nice work.

Jan. 26, 2022, 5:26 a.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Cheers, Heathen. 

And for the TMI, chamois or not?

Always chamois

Feb. 5, 2022, 2:30 p.m.

Hi everyone,

After 6 years of riding on my Knolly Warden 1st gen, I'm thinking of moving to bigger wheels.

I usually ride on Fromme and Seymour mtn and always get to the top pedaling the bike.

Less frequently, I ride in Squamish or plan some epic ride, like triple crown.

I like technical terrain where the challenge is finding the flow, like Boundary, or Crippler.

My actual set-up is front and rear coil suspension, MT5, cushcore and super gravity magic marys.

I am 184cm tall and weight around 85kg, equiped with shoes, knee pads and helmet. I have looooooooooong arms.

I am just at the beginning of my rersearch, and so far, I have selected three models :

• Evil Wreckoning ;
  • Knolly Chilcotin - I have been extremely satisfied with my Warden, especially reliability. It seems indestructible ;
  • Transition Sentinel ;

No need to say that I'm expecting a real improvement in my riding experience with my new bike.

I'm not looking for tiny improvement, otherwise, I would not change.

Please, let me know what you think if you have some experience on some of these bikes, Thank you !

Cheers !

Vincent.

Feb. 5, 2022, 5:41 p.m.

I have a carbon knolly and an evil insurgent. Both have been equally reliable. Something about the evil just corners and jumps better. I don't particularly like 29er FS bikes but I might consider a wreckoning. The suspension is supportive but super supple. I think Knolly generally makes an amazing product but at 200+ pounds, both have been ridden hard and everything has worn well on both. Unfortunately I haven't ridden a modern generation of any of those but after owning both brands, I wouldn't shy away from buying either. Also, if you are going bigger suspension and bigger wheel base, it may be worthwhile to get the lighter bike. I think it would be hard to put on 20cm of wheel base, jump up a wheel size and carry an extra 3 lbs of frame weight on the chilcoten.