NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 4, 2022, 11:14 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Man, King Cage. Bought one in '05 and been on every bike since. That's less than a penny a day! 💰

This^

I own a few ti king cages and they will never die, nor drop a bottle. Specialized z cages are fine but I assume the plastic is going to break after 2 or 3 seasons?

Jan. 5, 2022, 1 p.m.

Remember the weight weenie build off thread like 10 years go? That was awesome however I dont think it would be relevant these days. Who was the guy that got his Session 88 into the high 20s??

Jan. 5, 2022, 1:06 p.m.

That starling is a very nice, what are you doing to the suspension?

I have a zee cage mounted upside down on the downtube of my frame so it’s stressed more than is probably normal. It started losing full bottles after a season or two. I can usually get away with a half-full bottle and have had it for 4-ish years. I think I need a king cage.

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on Jan. 5, 2022, 1:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 5, 2022, 4:49 p.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

That starling is a very nice, what are you doing to the suspension?

Going to try the Ohlins coil and probably an Ohlins fork as well, slightly stiffer chassis than the Cane Creek and probably going to 160mm in front

Last edited by: michel77 on Jan. 5, 2022, 4:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 6, 2022, 8:15 a.m.

Hopefully King Cage will make a stainless steel side loader someday. I have one of the stainless regular cages and one of the lowering cages. Never dropped a bottle with them. I don't really understand the utility of the Ti ones - 40 dollars to shave 20 grams.

Jan. 6, 2022, 8:45 a.m.

Posted by: T-mack

Remember the weight weenie build off thread like 10 years go? That was awesome however I dont think it would be relevant these days. Who was the guy that got his Session 88 into the high 20s??

those were the days, huh? one of my old DH bike builds was about the same weight as my current 2021 trail bike. all ti hardware, carbon bits, etc. SO ridiculously nerdy. and of dubious benefit, of course.

Jan. 6, 2022, 8:51 a.m.

Posted by: Vandy

Still on the lookout for a side-ish entry bottle cage that doesn't suck, isn't a specialized z-cage, preferably made of metal, and isn't a $70 ti sideloader king cage even if they make me drool. Any suggestions? The Lezyne cage I'm using is secure, but damn if it isn't pretty much impossible to use while rolling.

i've been using the planet bike side loaders for a couple years. no complaints, cheap. 

Jan. 6, 2022, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: michel77

I'll be on my Starling for '22, got a few changes planned for suspension setup mostly but otherwise it's been treating me well and I'm really enjoying it (even if I sometimes curse the weight on climbs; main goal for '22 should be to lose about 5 lbs and get fit..).

That Starling is so hot. If I was buying a FS bike just on looks that would be in my garage. :-)

Jan. 7, 2022, 7:45 p.m.

That would be dangerholm, international celebrity status these days with his builds. Give him a look on instagram

Jan. 7, 2022, 11:51 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

That would be dangerholm, international celebrity status these days with his builds. Give him a look on instagram

It’s a fine combination of scraping the paint off a brand new carbon bike with a bush knife and ripped quads in jorts that brings the fame.

Jan. 8, 2022, 6:40 a.m.

Posted by: Vandy

It’s a fine combination of scraping the paint off a brand new carbon bike with a bush knife and ripped quads in jorts that brings the fame.

Oh was that him?? I follow Danger on insta but didn't clue in that was the same guy. What happened to that thread anyway, would be hilarious to look back at the nerdery.

Jan. 8, 2022, 7:55 a.m.

21/22 Trek Slash 8. Mainly stock as the parts on the bike are totally fine. I swapped out the headset top cap and installed a Chromag stem because it looks nice..... OneUp bar for a little more height and compliance, and one or two minor things to make the bike 'mine'. 

Trek seem to take a bit of a backseat around here, but I've owned a couple of Remedys and really liked those too. I've since owned a bike that has been pretty hyped up here, but the rear end would bottom out really easily (plenty of issues with snapping shock hardware....) which was only solved by stuffing the shock full of spacers and air and then the shock felt crap on smaller hits / chatter. It didn't have a rear shock climb switch, and didn't need one, yet when you needed the suspension to work, it sucked. The steering never felt great either. Good old industry hype :)

Anyway, back on a Trek, and the Slash has perfect handling (for me), much like my Chromag in terms of steering characteristics. Yes, the shock has a climb switch (OMG!) but I'll happily take that and have a shock that feels great on chatter and also have nice bottom out resistance. As mentioned above, Trek also have proper XL sizing which leaves the Large frame perfect for people around 6ft tall. I don't understand the trend at the moment for an XL bike supposedly fitting anyone from 5'11" to 9'2" ;) 

Jan. 8, 2022, 3:37 p.m.

Oh was that him?? I follow Danger on insta but didn't clue in that was the same guy. What happened to that thread anyway, would be hilarious to look back at the nerdery.

I believe he went by the username cyklist or something along those lines here back in those days. Regardless, there weren't many/any people going to the extreme of the drillium treatment on their shifter paddles in pursuit of the last tenth of a gram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhL7AKhlxiL/?utm_medium=copy_link 

Jan. 8, 2022, 6:42 p.m.

Here is the link.  2009, the year all these threads were first started.

Link to 2009 Cyclist post

Jan. 9, 2022, 3:21 p.m.

I'm running the thirstmaster 5000 on my bike which is a YT/fidlock collab and it's awesome. 835ml in the space of a 600ml bottle. 

Also starting this year off in mullet mode, only one icy ride so far but it feels really promising. 

If I end up liking the mullet I'll probably set up a matching rear wheel. 

Also will probably play with suspension more but I'm getting really comfy on this machine these days.