NSMB - 2022 - Full Suspension Bike Thread

Jan. 1, 2022, 8:53 p.m.

The thread is back.  The 2022 full suspension mountain bike thread. 

Use this thread to post your bike regardless of wheel size, the number of chainrings, gears, fatness or level of boostness.

Feel free to share some details on your set-up, weight or whatever makes it special to you.  Post em and discuss em. In 2009 these bike threads were started and got over 100K views and thousands of posts.  Let's keep this yearly tradition alive.

www.FVMBA.com 

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti-

Jan. 1, 2022, 8:58 p.m.

My ride for 2022.  Same as last year with a few mods.

2019 Specialized Enduro

• Assegai tires front and rear.  Cushcore XC in the rear
  • DT350 hubs, E.13 Euduro rims - tubeless
  • Ohlins rear shock
  • Code brakes
  • Nuke Proof carbon bar
  • LEV 5" dropper
  • WolfTooth dropper lever
  • Race Face BB
  • SixC carbon cranks
  • 28T Wolftooth ring
  • Blackspire Trail X chain guide
  • XX1 shifter
  • XX1 derailleur
  • X01 10-52 Cassette
  • KMC chain
  • One-Up aluminum pedals
  • 31.0lbs
Jan. 1, 2022, 9:52 p.m.

Thanks for starting the thread! Happy new year everyone!

I'm still on my 2020 Reign:

Amazingly, it's still completely stock except for the dropper (Bikeyoke 213). I just haven't felt the need to change anything else.

Jan. 2, 2022, 6:34 a.m.

2018 Guerilla Gravity Smash. I did swap in a 160mm Lyrik over the winter. The stock Ribbon Coil was working well. I just needed a 140mm fork on another bike and the MRP fork can be easily adjusted 140-160mm. Great bike. I'm glad I got one of the last metal GG's.

The Smash has proven to be super versatile from XC rides to as steep/techy trails as I am ever going to ride to all day alpine epics. It's always fun and always seems like a great choice for what's around the corner. 

Last edited by: Vikb on Jan. 2, 2022, 6:42 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 2, 2022, 6:49 a.m.

Neils, your stock Reign has me kicking myself I didn't get the Trance X when it was first released.

I'm on a 2018 XL Production Privee Shan No. 5 frame:

• 140mm RS Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate Shock

• 160mm RS Pike with Push Coil Conversion and Avalanche Damper

• Hope Pro 4 hubs, Chromag BA30 rims, Minion DHF tires, & Tannus tubeless inserts F/R

• Previous generation Code Brakes

• Still needs a dropper

• One of the XD Sram 12spd setups (haven't learned the names, fresh Shimano 11spd waiting in the wings)

Last edited by: Cheez1ts on Jan. 2, 2022, 6:51 a.m., edited 3 times in total.
Jan. 2, 2022, 12:22 p.m.

Got this thing a few months ago, it's been awesome even if I haven't had much time to get out.

Jan. 2, 2022, 4:08 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

Got this thing a few months ago, it's been awesome even if I haven't had much time to get out.

NICE!

Jan. 3, 2022, 9:36 a.m.

Banshee Prime for this year and probably at least the next couple!

Spec:

Size:L

Shock: Fox DPX2 Performance Elite 

Fork: Marzocchi Z1 160mm

Drivetrain: Shimano 10 speed “mix” mainly SLX 

Brakes: Shimano 4 Pot

Wheels: Couple of sets, one DT Swiss E1900 and one Superstar hubs with Alex 30mm rims. 

Tyres: Currently Specialized Butchers (2.6 T9 Grid Trail on front, 2.3 BlckDmnd on the back) but have a new Double Down DHR2 ready to go on and will find a Maxxgrip DHF or Assegai from somewhere…

Bar, stem and saddle are Chromag.

Brand X supply the dropper and grips.

Oneup keep the chain in place and the chainring unscathed.

Upgrades/changes for 2022:

New wheels as both sets I have are not boost and would be nice not to have to deal with adaptors plus they can be used for spares by myself or my (big) kids…

Maybe a smaller rear wheel? #mulletcurious

Maybe a coil shock? Probably a Marzocchi CR

Longer dropper? 180mm OneUp would work.

12 speed? Not sure I can be bothered at the moment I have spare 10 speed parts to get through first!

Cushcore or similar? Maybe…

Jan. 4, 2022, 3:25 p.m.

In October I made the unplanned purchase of a 2022 Trek Fuel EX 8 in size XXL, and so this is what I'll gleefully be riding in spring.

I'd phoned my local bike shop to inquire about putting a deposit on an XXL model, thinking it wouldn't arrive for a couple of years. I was surprisingly informed that a bike in that exact size and desired model - originally ordered in May 2020 - was due to arrive the following week.

Oh boy! What to do, what to do...

The shop built it up and I took the Fuel for a test ride around the block. I've never been on a bike that was so gloriously big and actually felt like it fit me for once. The XXL has a healthy stack height, solid reach and a long seat tube, the latter which is increasingly hard to find (outside of custom frames).

Took me a month to decide (and after several more test rides) but once I chose to sell my too small XL Kona Process 153 - the Process sold in less than a day - the transition to new bike ownership happened very quickly.

I moved over my beloved TRP G-Spec brakes, swapped out the stock Fox Rhythm 34 for a Rock Shox Pike (more beef) and bought a Chromag HIFI V2 31.8 to go with my 50mm rise Enve handlebar. The rest is stock.

I only went on 2 short bike rides before the snow hit, thus I'm understandably excited to get out come spring.

For now, it's snowmobile and snowboard season and the Fuel hangs in our very, very frozen garage.

Jan. 4, 2022, 3:29 p.m.

I couldn't possibly say enough good things about the Trek Slash that I used to have. That bike is still my favorite full suspension mtb I've ever owned, 7 years and ~5 bikes later.

I'm stoked for you and your new Fuel and if it's anything like my old Slash was you're going to love it.

Jan. 4, 2022, 5:12 p.m.

Posted by: gdharries

In October I made the unplanned purchase of a 2022 Trek Fuel EX 8 in size XXL, and so this is what I'll gleefully be riding in spring.

week.

For now, it's snowmobile and snowboard season and the Fuel hangs in our very, very frozen garage.

Congrats on finding a rig that fits!

Curious about the freezing garage. While I was home in Van for the holidays and the temps dropped to like -13 I brought my bike into the house to keep it cozy. 

Anyone know if leaving your bike outside that far below freezing actually damages anything?

Jan. 4, 2022, 6:12 p.m.

@thaaad That’s good to know. I think they basically have the same suspension design but of course, the Fuel is more trail-oriented. I’ve also read that this version of the Fuel is what the Remedy used to be.

@Hepcat I live in the Yukon and today it was -35 C outside. I keep all of our bikes in the garage throughout winter and have for decades. I know a lot of other cyclists up here do too. To my knowledge, they seem to be fine. Then again, the only bike I actually use at this time of year is my fat bike and that thing has gone through some serious cold weather punishment in the 6 years I’ve had it.

Last edited by: gdharries on Jan. 4, 2022, 6:19 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Jan. 4, 2022, 7:09 p.m.

I'll be on my Starling for '22, got a few changes planned for suspension setup mostly but otherwise it's been treating me well and I'm really enjoying it (even if I sometimes curse the weight on climbs; main goal for '22 should be to lose about 5 lbs and get fit..).

Jan. 4, 2022, 8:29 p.m.

Still on this machine. Privateer 141. It's gonna get a revamp in the next few weeks in preparation for spring. Shipping notifications arrived in my inbox today, so I'll update this post once all the lovely new bits arrive.

Still on the lookout for a side-ish entry bottle cage that doesn't suck, isn't a specialized z-cage, preferably made of metal, and isn't a $70 ti sideloader king cage even if they make me drool. Any suggestions? The Lezyne cage I'm using is secure, but damn if it isn't pretty much impossible to use while rolling.

Jan. 4, 2022, 9:13 p.m.

Man, King Cage. Bought one in '05 and been on every bike since. That's less than a penny a day! 💰