NSMB - 2021 - Hardtail Thread

March 9, 2021, 9:19 a.m.

A while ago I took all the ano green bits off my DVO Onyx. Stripped them with caustic soda. Polished them to a mirror finish with mag wheel polish and a dremel. Sent them off to Altech to get anodized black. They are back and installed and they look awesome!!!! I hated the green but loved the fork. Here is a quick shot I took after my first ride back on the hardtail. 

March 9, 2021, 9:43 a.m.

Looks awesome! 

Can you point me to a link/instructions about the caustic soda part? I'd like my Grip lever to be polished silver rather than gold.

March 9, 2021, 9:56 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

Looks awesome! 

Can you point me to a link/instructions about the caustic soda part? I'd like my Grip lever to be polished silver rather than gold.

There are lots of stuff on the Googles.  But this is the one I found most helpful. 

https://aerospacemetalsllc.com/how-to-remove-anodized-aluminum/

March 9, 2021, 10:23 a.m.

Nice work. I do home DIY carbon "repairs" and black "anodizing" with a Sharpie marker. Looks okay from 4' away! ;-)

March 9, 2021, 11:55 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

A while ago I took all the ano green bits off my DVO Onyx. Stripped them with caustic soda. Polished them to a mirror finish with mag wheel polish and a dremel. Sent them off to Altech to get anodized black. They are back and installed and they look awesome!!!! I hated the green but loved the fork. Here is a quick shot I took after my first ride back on the hardtail. 

I think you have proven that if DVO would just ditch the green, their sales would probably double! That looks soooooo much better.

Glad I didn't strip mine as the CSU was shot it turned out so I am now on a helm, which has a colour scheme I can deal with much better. Why did cush core and DVO have to ruin all their products? Seriously, don't they ask people if they like the colour before committing to it 100%

March 9, 2021, 12:40 p.m.

Looks good Heathen but seriously I can only give you a B grade as you left the o ring in green!

March 9, 2021, 6:18 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Posted by: heathen

I think you have proven that if DVO would just ditch the green, their sales would probably double! That looks soooooo much better.

Glad I didn't strip mine as the CSU was shot it turned out so I am now on a helm, which has a colour scheme I can deal with much better. Why did cush core and DVO have to ruin all their products? Seriously, don't they ask people if they like the colour before committing to it 100%

Or even sell a knob kit to de-green a fork? I'm sure there are other people that cant stand the green. 

Thanks for the link Heathen.

March 16, 2021, 9:15 a.m.

Surface still going strong! Swapped some parts over to the new full-sus so this will be a lighter build this year. Thinking about trying a rigid fork on this but at the same time, this bike is so dialed right now that I might feel like I'm missing out.. Anybody here try a rigid fork on their hardtail, worthwhile experiment?

March 16, 2021, 9:43 a.m.

Anybody here try a rigid fork on their hardtail, worthwhile experiment?

After riding 26er Hardtails with 140mm forks for a few years, I have had a couple of fully rigid 29ers. A Surly Karate Monkey and a Surly Krampus. They were good at some things and awful at others. Unsurprisingly they were good at long non-technical rides. Somewhat more surprisingly, the Krampus in particular was very good at slow techy sections. However, obviously as soon as anything got rough and fast things got pretty squirrely. The Krampus was very very sensitive to getting tyre pressure wrong, and even if you got it right (about 12PSI if i recall) you could occasionally feel like you were chasing a beach ball down the trail.

After they were stolen from my garage I went to a Chromag Rootdown with a 140mm Pike, it's better at absolutely everything.

Last edited by: DanLees1978 on March 16, 2021, 9:44 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 18, 2021, 4:57 a.m.

Posted by: michel77

Surface still going strong! Swapped some parts over to the new full-sus so this will be a lighter build this year. Thinking about trying a rigid fork on this but at the same time, this bike is so dialed right now that I might feel like I'm missing out.. Anybody here try a rigid fork on their hardtail, worthwhile experiment?

I run a rigid fork on my Krampus occasionally.  It climbs really well and I can still ride most of the same trails albeit slower.  Definitely worth a try especially if you are running bigger tyres.

March 18, 2021, 9:57 p.m.

I just picked up a XL 2016 27.5 Transition Trans AM after selling my old Kona Steely at the start of Covid.

Fork question:

• It has a 150mm Revelation on it, not the Pike Chassis, but the 32mm Sektor Chassis without a charger damper
  • I happen to have a brand new 150mm SR Suntour Aion that I could swap on
  • I also have a spare 27.5 Boxxer and an already cut black spring to bring it down to 150mm

I mostly plan to ride Burnaby Mountain/SFU on it to and from work, so I'd prefer to stick to a single crown on this one.

Old Rocksox Revelation or new Suntour Aion?

March 19, 2021, 4:34 a.m.

I have a set of the 32mm Revs that were "spare" forks before I handed them off to my son.  I found them a bit twangy after riding a 35mm Pike.  The Motion Control Damper isn't a patch on even the first Charger damper.

Maybe try them both?

March 19, 2021, 5:41 a.m.

I agree with @DanLees1978.

On my old Torrent I had a SR Suntour Zeron 35 (an even lower end model) and it was stiff and solid, although the suspension action itself was rudimentary. I've also had a Revelation and that thing was flexy!

March 19, 2021, 7:26 a.m.

Thank you both! I’ll give the revelation a shot, but it sounds like the Suntour will be going on the bike. I’ll post an updated build and first impressions in a few weeks.

March 19, 2021, 1:19 p.m.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a Manitou Mezzer. Does anyone know of one on a steel like like a Chromag that can advise re: crown clearance?

Manitou says the knobs hit before the reverse arch can. Makes sense. Still curious if someone in real life can vouch for it. I don't want to have to run this past my budgetary co-chair if it's a non-starter.