NSMB - 2021 - Hardtail Thread

Feb. 14, 2021, 5:40 a.m.

Posted by: WeTYC...

Posted by: Vikb

Excited for some snow riding I set of for a dawn patrol to some local trails. Lights charged. All bundled up! I made it a block before I had to help the first stuck car and that was on a main road. When I got onto a side street I had trouble riding and the bikepath was 100% pushing. After a couple KMs of pushing I gave up as it's 9kms+ each way to the closest trails. Usually that's a chill bikepath spin. Not today.

It's amazing how small the window of conditions is for really good snow riding.  I had an unbelievable snow ride today. When I started out, I was blasting through 13cm of snow and I found myself mesmerized by this bow wave form in front of my front tire.  I powered up double-track grades I thought I had no business maintaining traction on.  I even managed to re-start from a spin-out on a hill several times. For the first half of the ride, I probably only hike-a-biked 10% of the time.  I've never been that successful in that deep of snow (I'm only on 2.75 tires, not full fatties).  Every once and a while, I'd hit a little zone where the ground had maybe been warmer, or there was a pocket of slightly warmer air or something, and it would all fall apart.  The front end would start porpoising followed by the rear end breaking traction.  I'd get off and push through that section then sometimes with no change in grade still be able to get back on and get moving again. 

While I was riding the snow continued to fall--another 5cm or so.  I think it also warmed up a degee or two.  That little bit change tipped the balance from best snow ride ever to death march.  On my way out, I was struggling to keep moving and upright going down some of those hills I'd just motored up two hours earlier. 

Can't post my pic here because I was on my coil-sprung 6" behemoth (least-efficient snow bike ever!)

Yes. I have had a lot of amazing snow rides here on the South Island the last 10 years. In fact I'm probably batting 80% for great to bad, but it doesn't take much to go from amazing to terrible. When it clicks it's fantastic. I'm glad you got out and had a fun ride.

I got out again yesterday with a friend and had a much better ride. Not so much because conditions were any better, but I think 1) knowing what was likely to happen kept my expectations low, 2) I knew where I could ride and couldn't ride so I stuck to higher success areas and 3) the more riding I did in the slippery conditions the better I got at it. In fact I was highly entertained by the number of times I managed to save what looked like a wipe out that in the first ride would have had me on the ground. And of course having a buddy to share the ride with was also great.

The temps are a lot warmer this morning and the snow has consolidated a bunch. A couple more cups of tea and I'll go and see if I can ride the bikepaths to the trails. If not I'll try Monday and Tuesday. I figure I should get some white shredding in somewhere along the continuum from too much white stuff to a flooded brown mess! ;-)

Feb. 14, 2021, 5:46 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

We had about 8" here next to the ocean. Our trails (up higher) would be unrideable (similar to vic's experience).

Wife and I made the most of it and went for a backcountry ski. Was fabulous. Snow was good. Avi risk was low. Sometimes you just have to choose the right tool for the right conditions.

Smart move. Unfortunately MTBing is my most snow friendly sporting activity if we don't count trudging through the snow on foot "sporting". I'm glad you got out and enjoyed the day.

Feb. 15, 2021, 5:02 a.m.

I didn't have a lot of hope that I'd get much further today [written Sunday, but forgot to hit "submit"] than yesterday, but I managed a slow, but not totally painful 23K loop from home. The warmer temperatures consolidated the snow a bit and with a bit of pedestrian traffic I was able to ride 99% of the time even if the riding was hard and I looked like I was drunk sliding/weaving from side to side. Although the riding was hard/slow that does mean the route to my closest trails is open. so I'll be headed that way to check things out next ride.

Feb. 15, 2021, 5:58 p.m.

Honzo

Isn't this Honzo one that's been featured around these parts before? 

From a Pinkbike article on bike theft.

Feb. 15, 2021, 7:03 p.m.

One of a kind that special paint job... 

Used to be someone's favourite  honzo...

Wasn't it recovered (at least the frame was) and he gave it onto a deserving rider...

Last edited by: GreyHead on Feb. 15, 2021, 7:07 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Feb. 16, 2021, 7:43 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Honzo

Isn't this Honzo one that's been featured around these parts before?

From a Pinkbike article on bike theft.

Frame was recovered after my friend JL chased it down across Vancouver (on foot). JL is a f***ing legend for recovering stolen bikes.

It lives with my buddy “Bone Spurs” Brent now. If you ever see it out on the trails be sure to say “Hi Bone Spurs!”

Many other special parts never made it home... like my limited production grey North Shore Billet bash ring.

Most importantly, I never recovered my king wheels. An old set of Pewter King hubs laced to raw Velocity Blunt rims. Monetary and sentimental value in a rare if not one if a kind wheel set. I’ll recognize those wheels anywhere thanks to some custom details so if you ever see them on a car or on the trail I’d appreciate a heads up.

Last edited by: AndrewMajor on Feb. 16, 2021, 7:44 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 16, 2021, 9:41 p.m.

I have my cotic BFe max set up as a single speed and I love it.

Feb. 17, 2021, 4:46 a.m.

Posted by: RideStrength

I have my cotic BFe max set up as a single speed and I love it.

Nice. I've considered that. Post up a photo or two.

Feb. 18, 2021, 10:45 a.m.

Thanks for kicking off the 2021 thread Vik (and your note a while back on bikepacking setup). Keen to see what 2021 brings on the thread and will try to share more with my Chromag Rootdown now in play. Cheers all!

Feb. 22, 2021, 2:45 a.m.

New hardtail in my household but not for me!

My eldest had outgrown his (very nice) loaner Extra Small Orange 5, so I built this up for him from a mix of new parts and stuff I had lying around in the spares bin.  Spec was dictated by what I could easily get hold of in the UK, which is significantly patchy at the moment with COVID and BREXIT. 

Frame: Sonder Signal ST (don't think they have much of a presence outside of the UK but they are the bike arm of Alpkit make reasonably priced outdoor kit that just works, a bit like MEC own brand kit)  https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-signal-st-frame

Forks: Older but barely used RockShox Rev RLT, 

Drivetrain: XT/SLX 11speed

Cranks: Thorn 160mm with Superstar N/W ring

BB: FSA Square Taper

Brakes: Deore with 180mm rotors

Wheels: hope hubs with Stans Flow (older slightly narrowe) rims 

Headset: Hope

Bars: Answer haven bars, 

Tyres: Specialized butcher 29x2.3, set up tubeless

Saddle: SDG Fly Jr

Seat Post: Brand-X Descend II Dropper

Stem: Brand-X Enduro

Grips: Brand-X Half waffle

He’s a very lucky and happy boy as I think his bike might be as nice as mine! Now the whole family are on Steel hardtails as I have Chromag Rootdown, his Mum has an On-one 45650B and his little brother has a Ragley Blue pig!

J with his new Sonder

He’s a very lucky and happy boy as I think his bike might be as nice as mine! 

Now the whole family are in Steel hardtails as I have Chromag Rootdown, his little brother has a Ragley Blue pig, and his Mum has an On-one 45650B.

Feb. 22, 2021, 6:23 a.m.

Posted by: DanLees1978

He’s a very lucky and happy boy as I think his bike might be as nice as mine! 

Now the whole family are in Steel hardtails as I have Chromag Rootdown, his little brother has a Ragley Blue pig, and his Mum has an On-one 45650B.

Nice work Dad! Great fleet. :-)

Feb. 22, 2021, 6:34 a.m.

Posted by: AJM

Thanks for kicking off the 2021 thread Vik (and your note a while back on bikepacking setup). Keen to see what 2021 brings on the thread and will try to share more with my Chromag Rootdown now in play. Cheers all!

We need more Rooty photos for sure. I've started focusing on my bikepacking rig and putting mileage on it [while staying local] so it and my body will be dialed once COVID restrictions ease and we can travel around BC again. I've got some trips in mind that will be fun starting with some island riding and hopefully getting back to the Chilcotins as well.

Feb. 22, 2021, 8:54 a.m.

Just bolted a 170 mm Fox 36 to the front of the Honzo ESD for the final chapter of the test. Looking forward to trying it but I wish more of my buddies rode hard tails. That would make it more fun, and less punishing trying to keep up. It’s pretty rewarding when I do though.

Feb. 23, 2021, 7:22 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Just bolted a 170 mm Fox 36 to the front of the Honzo ESD for the final chapter of the test. Looking forward to trying it but I wish more of my buddies rode hard tails. That would make it more fun, and less punishing trying to keep up. It’s pretty rewarding when I do though.

I'd like to throw a leg over an ESD. It's one of the few hardtails I am keen on where that might actually be possible!

I feel like am being a good role model as the number of people I ride with who are adding hardtails to fleet grows. I'm also seeing 3 or 4 times as many hardtails [mostly quality rides vs. people getting on old hand me down rigs] on the trails these days than in previous years. Could be COVID related or could just be a surge in interest.

Last edited by: Vikb on Feb. 23, 2021, 12:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 23, 2021, 8:44 a.m.

I will be building up a new hartail this year. A big part of the appeal is that 2 of my riding buddies are doing the same thing. Can't wait to get my frame.