NSMB - 2021 - Hardtail Thread

Nov. 18, 2021, 7:53 a.m.

Vik, Slow, 

Thanks for the replies.  Both my Murmur and Krampus have long CSs 445 and 446 respectively and I don't mind them.

Vik - I get you on geo.  My XL Murmur is loooong (a few mm short of 1300mm) whichnis fine for me at 6'1" bit you need to ride it aggressively to make it come alive which sometime I'm not up for.  The Krampus otoh is about 1180 and "nimble" for a 30+ lb HT.  I love both bikes as they are very different however am about to drop the Murmur down to 140mm up front from 160mm to see how it goes.

Back on topic- I like the look of the Smax geo and would run a 120mm fork.  I tend to agree with Steve at HT Party that HTs should be 120-130mm to keep them sensible.  I'm hoping it would be a good combo of both bikes - playful (steeper HA than Murmur at 64) yet have good climbing manners (steep STA than Krampus).

Nov. 18, 2021, 7:54 a.m.

Piccys???

Nov. 18, 2021, 8:29 a.m.

Posted by: fartymarty

Vik, Slow,

Thanks for the replies. Both my Murmur and Krampus have long CSs 445 and 446 respectively and I don't mind them.

Vik - I get you on geo. My XL Murmur is loooong (a few mm short of 1300mm) whichnis fine for me at 6'1" bit you need to ride it aggressively to make it come alive which sometime I'm not up for. The Krampus otoh is about 1180 and "nimble" for a 30+ lb HT. I love both bikes as they are very different however am about to drop the Murmur down to 140mm up front from 160mm to see how it goes.

Back on topic- I like the look of the Smax geo and would run a 120mm fork. I tend to agree with Steve at HT Party that HTs should be 120-130mm to keep them sensible. I'm hoping it would be a good combo of both bikes - playful (steeper HA than Murmur at 64) yet have good climbing manners (steep STA than Krampus).

I make no claims that my geo preferences are anything, but what work for me. Lots of people like/love long CS. That's part of the reason I bought the Cotic as I wanted to see what happened with a long bike with long CS. I gave it a solid try and I have tried other bikes I own with adjustable CS in various configurations. For whatever reason short CS work best for me. I love that feeling of sitting on top of the rear tire. The bike climbs, descends and corners better for me. But, that's just me...

I don't mind the longer CS on the Krampus, but it has been mostly a bikepacking/urban assault bike for me. It's never been a trail bike for day to day shredding. I also think there is something going on with the 29+ wheel + super slack STA on the Krampus that makes the CS feel shorter, but I have never figured out what's going on there.

I haven't had any issues with HTs that have longer forks in terms of geo changes while riding them, but I also don't really see the point in a massive fork on the front of a HT as you have to get the rear wheel through the same terrain as the front. If I was building a custom HT I go with a 140mm fork. If I was buying a complete bike anywhere between 120-150mm with the right geo would be fine.

Both the quality of the Cotic frame I have and the CS I rec'd from them was excellent. If they offered an adjustable CS [say 430-445mm] that could still fit a 29 x 2.6" tire I'd order up another one...in medium this time!

Last edited by: Vikb on Nov. 18, 2021, 8:43 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 18, 2021, 8:54 a.m.

Loving all the information on this thread. What do people think about double down or downhill tires rather than using inserts?

I have DD assegai tires on my doctahawk and I'm slowly creeping the PSi down to get grip. I also weigh around 170 geared up.

I've never used the Tannus inserts either, they sound great.

Cheers

Nov. 18, 2021, 5:41 p.m.

Posted by: PowellRiviera

Loving all the information on this thread. What do people think about double down or downhill tires rather than using inserts?

I have DD assegai tires on my doctahawk and I'm slowly creeping the PSi down to get grip. I also weigh around 170 geared up.

Cheers

Downhill casing don't need an insert unless you are doing something crazy at the bikepark imo. Dd with cushcore I liked but probably overkill. Dd with tannus would be a good pair. I didn't like downhill casing in the cold months, it gets really stiff and becomes an anchor. 

My 2 cents

Nov. 18, 2021, 6:58 p.m.

Posted by: UFO

2020 was a weird year for me, and I rode less last year than many years previous, especially odd since I felt my riding had progressed considerably in 2017 and 2018. And I had no hardtail in 2020.

My issues started in late 2019 with a couple of injuries that kept me off the bike for a while. Seizing that time off, I decided to try the whole smaller FS trail bike thing. The early days of Covid hit, and working on the front lines, I knew I didn't want to injure myself again, but more importantly did not want to further increase the workload on my team with our patients that needed care. All's that to say I probably didn't give the FS bike a fair shake.

With the additional precautions, extra time, and also having the kiddos around more, priorities shifted. So I felt it prudent to simplify my quiver.

So here's to putting 2020 in the rear view, and having a hardtail again for 2021 (and it was not easy to find something suitable in these covid times). NS Eccentric Evo 29 aluminum with a DVO Diamond set at 140mm, mullet wheels with 27.5x2.8 out back, 10 speed Shimano Sunrace 11-46 drivetrain (though I'm trying to source out the Microshift Advent X drivetrain), old XTR levers paired to 4 pot Deore front caliper and XT rear

interesting, 2020 was business as usual for myself.

Nov. 18, 2021, 8:04 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

Cheers

Downhill casing don't need an insert unless you are doing something crazy at the bikepark imo. Dd with cushcore I liked but probably overkill. Dd with tannus would be a good pair. I didn't like downhill casing in the cold months, it gets really stiff and becomes an anchor. 

My 2 cents

Agreed. I get by fine running tannus inserts and EXO casings. Lots of grip and light enough.

Nov. 19, 2021, 12:47 a.m.

I'm running tough WTBs on the rear of my HT w/o inserts but it's not that rocky in Surrey, UK

Nov. 19, 2021, 6:15 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

Posted by: RAHrider

Cheers

My 2 cents

Agreed. I get by fine running tannus inserts and EXO casings. Lots of grip and light enough.

And for the record DD≠DH. In Maxxis land EXO<EXO+<DD<DH. Each jump gains a little over 100g per tire. I've been running mostly EXO+ with Tannus tubeless and have been fine for general shore use.

Last edited by: craw on Nov. 19, 2021, 6:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 19, 2021, 8:25 a.m.

Thanks for the info. To this point the DD have felt supportive enough at the lower pressures. Cheers

Nov. 19, 2021, 8:29 a.m.

Same here. I find that the slightly lower pressures allowed by the Tannus inserts gives enough grip over the winter that I don't need stickier rubber than MaxTerra, and I've never had an issue with the EXO casings. I mean, I've definitely done in a tire casing over the past 5 or 6 years, but probably only 1 or two in that span, and in retrospect, it was probably due to being lazy about tire pressure. After buying a good tire gauge for the first time in 21 years, and getting very particular about dialing in my pressures, my tires are pretty much never an issue.

Nov. 19, 2021, 8:36 a.m.

Posted by: mammal

Same here. I find that the slightly lower pressures allowed by the Tannus inserts gives enough grip over the winter that I don't need stickier rubber than MaxTerra, and I've never had an issue with the EXO casings. I mean, I've definitely done in a tire casing over the past 5 or 6 years, but probably only 1 or two in that span, and in retrospect, it was probably due to being lazy about tire pressure. After buying a good tire gauge for the first time in 21 years, and getting very particular about dialing in my pressures, my tires are pretty much never an issue.

I haven't had issues with EXO casings and Maxxterra. I'd be curious to try a Maxxgrip front tire on my winter bike [I'm hitting wet roots at far greater speeds here in the Comox area] when the EXO DHF wears out. I just wish you could get the stickier rubber and the lighter casing as I don't need a more burly casing on the front at all.

Nov. 19, 2021, 9:31 a.m.

I've had tannus in both wheels and only run exo+ because that's what has been available to me for the last 9 months or so...not a puncture or major ding in sight. I was running pressure at 13/14psi for about 5 months of that time due to a floor pump that was consistently off by 6 psi across the board. I'm very impressed with them.

Nov. 19, 2021, 1:53 p.m.

I've noticed a difference in the MaxxGrip compared to the Terra. Won't keep a Terra on the front anymore during the winter here in Powell River. Lots of steep, roots and rock.

Last edited by: PowellRiviera on Nov. 19, 2021, 1:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 19, 2021, 2:39 p.m.

I've noticed a difference in the MaxxGrip compared to the Terra. Won't keep a Terra on the front anymore during the winter here in Powell River. Lots of steep, roots and rock.

Same here. I definitely prefer a MaxxGripp on the front  as my winter tire.