NSMB - 2021 - Hardtail Thread

Sept. 24, 2021, 3:39 p.m.

Posted by: MaxRockatansky

Can anyone confirm the hub spacing on the Moxie's? The store is saying superboost but everything I can find online says 148 boost... 

When I quizzed the shop about it they measured the frame on the floor and said it was 155ish... could clamp down to 148  or up to 157 I guess.... but don't want to have issues with the brakes etc.

Want to make sure it's 148 before I get it shipped from Kelowna....

Boost 148mm

Sept. 26, 2021, 11:16 a.m.

Posted by: Chasmoftheclam

Thought I'd share my 2021 Norco Torrent on this thread. This bike serves multiple functions for me, including:

1. Summer trail bike when I'm heading out on mellow trails, or when I fancy a bigger challenge on a more technical trail.

2. Winter trail ripper using 29x2.6" Wrathchilds, pogies and lights.

3. Bikepacking rig when loaded up with a few bags.

It's already gone through a few iterations in terms of setup. i've swapped out a Lyrik for a Fox 36 and have been swapping out my tires (2.6" Assegai (F), Rekon (F+R), SE2 (R)) dependant on what i'm planning to ride. I rode this as my only bike during much of summer 2021 whilst trying to source parts to build up my FS. It wrangled with whether this bike really could be my only MTB... it's so capable for my riding ability and serves so many purposes. I'm still struggling with this decision now of what I need vs. what I want.

I think the torrent is such a great looking bike. The whole super low top tube with a massive seat tube brace is unnecessary and doesn't actually make for a better riding bike. The torrent has clean lines, good geo simple paint and graphics. In short, they didn't screw it up by trying to make a hard core hardtail "cool" because they realize that it already is. Looks like this one gets some good use.

Sept. 26, 2021, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

I think the torrent is such a great looking bike. The whole super low top tube with a massive seat tube brace is unnecessary and doesn't actually make for a better riding bike. The torrent has clean lines, good geo simple paint and graphics. In short, they didn't screw it up by trying to make a hard core hardtail "cool" because they realize that it already is. Looks like this one gets some good use.

Reference to the seat tube on the Honzo? Great for standover, less good for frame bags etc.

Sept. 26, 2021, 6:15 p.m.

Pipedream Moxie v1 mullet

Making progress... This old Giant dropper is on its last legs, and the drivetrain is pretty flogged, but the thing is ready to roll.

Pipedream Moxie v1 mullet, size long (470mm reach). XT shifter driving Zee derailleur. Hope Pro 4 with DT ex511 rear / Nukeproof Neutron front. XTR 988 levers with XT 775 calipers... 

I have a new chain & 'ring waiting, on the lookout for a Sunrace 11-46 cassette, then a OneUp 210 when funds and stock allow.

Last edited by: velocipedestrian on Sept. 26, 2021, 8:18 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 26, 2021, 11:46 p.m.

Posted by: velocipedestrian

Posted by: RAHrider

Reference to the seat tube on the Honzo? Great for standover, less good for frame bags etc.

Not specifically the honzo. So many companies are doing it (vendetta, Canfield, Stanton etc.) And it doesn't really do anything amazing for the ride, steals space for a water bottle (or frame bags) and I think it makes the bike more flexy while pedalling. I think they do it for short people with long suspension forks? I love the simple lines of an old(ish) school design. I always wanted a rocky mountain blizzard back in the 90s. I feel like the mtb hardtail aesthetic reached its zenith with that bike. 

The torrent is like an updated geo of this bike. Now if only they would bring back that shape of turbine in a 30mm cinch format....

Sept. 27, 2021, 6 a.m.

Although I am not a fan of the uber low TT's on modern MTBs the argument for them is a low TT fits more people and since most people don't want to carry anything more than a water bottle inside the frame [if that] there is no downside.

I've got long-ish legs for my height so I can get on a long enough bike without worry about a low TT and I like to stuff my frame full of as much water/gear as I can so I am not the target audience for that design language.

Sept. 27, 2021, 3:37 p.m.

Yes! I'm very satisfied with the Torrent. The paint job is great, the welds and seat mast strengthening are minimal, it can take 29x2.6" rubber and it has a clean aesthetic. As to the low top tube, I love it! It fits a standard frame bag with lots of room to spare and I think looks cool. I always ride XL bikes and they used to look so disproportionate when I rode 26" wheeled bikes, but now I love how I can have a sloping top tube on a 29" XL frame and it looks cool. A couple of things I wish it did have is sliding dropouts so I could run it singlespeed with ease and play with the rear CS length and more places to mount bottles in the main triangle... it could easily take three bottles in there!

On an aside... does anyone have a vertical/fixed dropout bike that they run singlespeed with any success? I know it's near impossible that a chain will fit perfectly, so I'm looking for comment on tensioning solutions. TIA

Sept. 27, 2021, 4:25 p.m.

I've had shimano alfine tensioner on all my Whistler Bike Park DH bikes with success for the last 10 years.

They're cheap and work. One in stock for $34 at Corsa Cycles in Squamish https://www.dunbarcycles.com/shimano-alfine-ct-s500-chain-tensioner-black.html?source=googlebase

Based on your pictures though it looks like you're not in Squamish. Nice rig!

Sept. 27, 2021, 6:03 p.m.

I used the Surly singulator for a few years. It worked flawlessly. I really see no need for sliding dropouts aside from a perfectly clean aesthetic. Although with sliding dropouts you can't always choose your chainstay length as it is dependent on the gear you want to run, whereas with a tensioner, your CS length is hopefully perfect (depending on if you like your frame). Pros and cons to both.

Sept. 28, 2021, 12:27 a.m.

I've successfully used a chain guide with a roller to tension a SS. It's the same idea, though you have to set the tension manually - no spring.

Sept. 28, 2021, 3:18 a.m.

This is the answer. Yess make a similar tensioner but if you have iscg  it’s a much cleaner solution. With narrow wide rings you don’t need loads of tension either.

Sept. 28, 2021, 7:54 a.m.

Thanks all! What great responses. I'll take a look for the Yess tensioner @Heinous mentioned as my frame does have the ISCG 05 mounts. I'm intrigued by this solution!

Sept. 28, 2021, 4 p.m.

You can get BB mounted versions that replace a spacer behind your BB cup, and also ISCG adapters that go in there to do the same.

Sept. 28, 2021, 7:01 p.m.

Posted by: Heinous

You can get BB mounted versions that replace a spacer behind your BB cup, and also ISCG adapters that go in there to do the same.

You can, but they tend to rotate gradually and end up loose.

Sept. 29, 2021, 1:01 a.m.

I’ve fitted a few Yess BB mounted ones for big powerhouses / national champions and they’ve not had issues. With a narrow wide ring you’re not running much tension, so that source of rotation is removed. BB and frame specs will be relevant but I’d not hesitate to run one if I didn’t have a dedicated SS frame.