NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Jan. 29, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

Posted by: Hollytron

Now with a real fork

I tried a real ride rigid and quickly decided I am not a fully rigid rider. Ouch brutal on the arms. I ordered a Marz Z2 from the parking lot. The fork is set at 120 right now and the bike steers weird for sure, I am going to try it at 100 and see if that helps. Its not terrible but floppy somewhat at the initiation of a turn. I also went with the 44mm offset as that was what was available. I think the added stack of the works headset and the longer fork are most likely the culprit.

Looks good. I have to get myself a Bomber one of these days just for nostalgia's sake.

Jan. 29, 2021, 4:11 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Posted by: Hollytron

Now with a real fork

I tried a real ride rigid and quickly decided I am not a fully rigid rider. Ouch brutal on the arms. I ordered a Marz Z2 from the parking lot. The fork is set at 120 right now and the bike steers weird for sure, I am going to try it at 100 and see if that helps. Its not terrible but floppy somewhat at the initiation of a turn. I also went with the 44mm offset as that was what was available. I think the added stack of the works headset and the longer fork are most likely the culprit.

Looks good. I have to get myself a Bomber one of these days just for nostalgia's sake.

What length stem you running? If it's shorter than 50, try a 50. It will make the floppiness much better.

Jan. 30, 2021, 5:31 a.m.

I also find just riding a new setup a while allows for a lot of adaptation to changed steering response. I cut the bars on my HT with a short stem and long fork it felt super twitchy first ride. A month later I can't recall thinking about that "issue" for a long time now and I made no changes to the bike.

Jan. 30, 2021, 6:41 a.m.

I also find just riding a new setup a while allows for a lot of adaptation to changed steering response. I cut the bars on my HT with a short stem and long fork it felt super twitchy first ride. A month later I can't recall thinking about that "issue" for a long time now and I made no changes to the bike.

I always find it fascinating how well the human body can adapt to varying ergonomic factors.

Jan. 30, 2021, 8:09 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I always find it fascinating how well the human body can adapt to varying ergonomic factors.

For sure...especially stuff like steering that's all about timing/reflexes. 

Although to be fair while I got totally used to riding my long forked hardtail under normal conditions I can't ride it without hands...say on the bikepath to adjust my helmet strap or something like that. The slack front end and long fork are too floppy.  My less aggressive hardtails can be ridden no handed on a smooth surface no problem. Not that riding without my hands is super important on a mountain bike, but it was something I noticed with the new rig.

Jan. 30, 2021, 8:56 a.m.

Its been cool being able to adjust the stays. I had them in the shortest cuz thats what I always do, but setting them at 3/4 length took away some of the floppyness. 

Also interesting on the stem length. I was thinking about going shorter but maybe I should try both.

Feb. 8, 2021, 12:59 p.m.

I moved my dropouts all the way back to 445 ( as far as they would go) and all of the front end flop is gone.

Feb. 9, 2021, 8:05 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

For sure...especially stuff like steering that's all about timing/reflexes. 

Although to be fair while I got totally used to riding my long forked hardtail under normal conditions I can't ride it without hands...say on the bikepath to adjust my helmet strap or something like that. The slack front end and long fork are too floppy.  My less aggressive hardtails can be ridden no handed on a smooth surface no problem. Not that riding without my hands is super important on a mountain bike, but it was something I noticed with the new rig.

Thank you for admitting this in public, I was starting to think I was the only one!

I can’t ride my WILDCAT no hands unless I’m really cooking along but I can completely change my clothes from the belt up while pedaling on my Cross-Check?!? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Feb. 9, 2021, 8:15 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

I can’t ride my WILDCAT no hands unless I’m really cooking along but I can completely change my clothes from the belt up while pedaling on my Cross-Check?!? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ya I can do complicated stuff no handed on my rigid Krampus. Maybe it's a Surly thing! Ha! I mean there are not many things I prefer about a steeper front end, but no handed riding is one of them.