NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Nov. 26, 2020, 9:11 a.m.

My Wideangle is currently in the bike stand. Cleaning it up and servicing it to sell it and I'm having some feels.

I definitely had more good days on this bike than any other bike I've owned :(

Last edited by: thaaad on Nov. 26, 2020, 9:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 26, 2020, 6:05 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

My Wideangle is currently in the bike stand. Cleaning it up and servicing it to sell it and I'm having some feels.

I definitely had more good days on this bike than any other bike I've owned :(

I think you misstyped. Don't you mean "Getting it ready for winter riding"?

You moved out of the city, so you should have a garage now. Also, you can totally rationalize keeping it for the maintenance fees you will save on your rear suspension. Seriously, how much will you get for it? If you winter ride, you will need to service your rear shock twice as often - 2-300$ a pop. In five years you will have saved $1500! It pays to keep the extra ride.

I guess you need to ask whether you will actually want to ride the wideangle now that you have your Norco. Sometimes it's good to take it out for a spin to see how you feel on it. If you go "sh$t that was so much fun" it is very different than "I wish I had my Norco."

Nov. 26, 2020, 9:52 p.m.

So I do have a garage, and I do love the Wideangle. I just don't really need 2 mountain bikes. I did ride them both when I had the Darkside and I did enjoy both a lot.

Due to my work I am in the fortunate position where service $$ on the suspension is basically a non-factor.

I guess I originally was going to sell both of my bikes to fund my new bike, but I financially that wasn't necessary (fortunately, extremely fortunately). So I suppose I need to decide if I even need to sell it at all. We do have the space for it and I do really love it. I'd go so far as saying it's my favorite bike I've ever owned, far and away I've had more better days on that bike than any other.

We previously lived in a 1 bedroom apartment with a toddler and 5 bikes while sleeping on a pull out bed in the living room. It was extremely tight, like really really fucking tight and now with Covid for the last year I feel like we are trying hard to escape the cluttered cooped up feeling. Now that we have space and we've been purging like crazy and every little thing hanging around is making me feel bonkers since I don't want to feel like I'm living in a shoe box again.

Maybe I drop a couple hundred bucks in to it and get the drivetrain dialed and ride it over winter and see how it goes. I can always sell in spring when the timing is better.

Last edited by: thaaad on Nov. 26, 2020, 9:53 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 27, 2020, 4:44 a.m.

We do have the space for it and I do really love it. 

I'd keep it for this winter. Re-evaluate in the Spring. As long as the above is true and you ride it then keeping it makes sense. If you find you are not riding it sell it come Spring when bike fever is peaking.

Nov. 27, 2020, 6:17 a.m.

I'd go so far as saying it's my favorite bike I've ever owned, far and away I've had more better days on that bike than any other.

If this was a decision I was making, Future Me would ask Current Me to just keep it.

Nov. 28, 2020, 4:23 a.m.

Posted by: mrbrett

I'd go so far as saying it's my favorite bike I've ever owned, far and away I've had more better days on that bike than any other.

If this was a decision I was making, Future Me would ask Current Me to just keep it.

My Biking Me is agreeing to this. 

If you got the space to keep it....keep it. Seriously. You could even put the frame on the wall of your garage. You know that Collectors vid from Chromag? 

Keep it. Ride it. Some rides should not be sold. But kept and cherished like that truly great book, or mug.

Nov. 28, 2020, 7:08 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: mrbrett

My Biking Me is agreeing to this. 

If you got the space to keep it....keep it. Seriously. You could even put the frame on the wall of your garage. You know that Collectors vid from Chromag? 

Keep it. Ride it. Some rides should not be sold. But kept and cherished like that truly great book, or mug.

I have kept every steel hardtail i have ever owned. Since 1997. The plan is to clean and mount them to the wall.

Dec. 6, 2020, 7:36 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

We do have the space for it and I do really love it. 

I'd keep it for this winter. Re-evaluate in the Spring. As long as the above is true and you ride it then keeping it makes sense. If you find you are not riding it sell it come Spring when bike fever is peaking.

Strongly disagree. If you have a Chromag (or any hardtail) with fixed dropouts flip it ASAP! Pretty strong rumour going around that Chromag is finally adding sliders to some of their frames!!! 

Now all you slow-to-conform single speeders will have the ‘option’ to ride bikes a better way!

Covid wants you to single speed! Why else would there be no Eagle chains until July!?!?!?!??!?!?!???

Dec. 7, 2020, 3:51 a.m.

Now all you slow-to-conform single speeders will have the ‘option’ to ride bikes a better way!

Covid wants you to single speed! Why else would there be no Eagle chains until July!?!?!?!??!?!?!???

Even Singlespeed spacers have to be scavenged from the dark corners of various parts bins. And the cleaning gnomes in my workshop are on strike...

I'll post a proper picture of the build once I have it all together ;)

Dec. 7, 2020, 6:43 a.m.

Not to hi-Jack the thread but I would be in on the DVO green-black conversion if someone is putting together a batch for Altech!

Dec. 7, 2020, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: AndrewMajor

Dang! Thanks for the head's up. Both our FS bikes run GX Eagle and I was going to do a chain swap this winter. I managed to order a couple of GX Eagle chains just now, but stock seems pretty low/zero at all the usual vendors. July resupply will be painful for a lot of people.

Dec. 7, 2020, 7:57 a.m.

where did you order them from?

Dec. 7, 2020, 9:41 a.m.

Posted by: Taz123

where did you order them from?

CRC has GX Eagle chains - they won't ship SRAM to Canada. I have a UK relative. Jenson has NX Eagle chains...they also won't ship SRAM to Canada, but there are cross border services for that situation.

Since I was at it I ordered chains for my Shimano drivetrain bikes and spare brake pads for my Shimano/SRAM brakes as well. The other stuff seems to be available, but who knows what'll go into supply chain crisis mode next? I have lots of tires and other parts so unless I have a bad crash I should be good for 2021.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 7, 2020, 9:43 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Dec. 7, 2020, 10:10 a.m.

In my experience, X01/XX1 Eagle chains last considerably longer than GX Eagle and are worth the approximately double in price, with well over double the lifespan. Getting the good chain is useful for protecting that $300+ cassette.

Last edited by: D_C_ on Dec. 7, 2020, 10:11 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 9, 2020, 10:36 a.m.

Posted by: twk

Even Singlespeed spacers have to be scavenged from the dark corners of various parts bins. And the cleaning gnomes in my workshop are on strike...

I'll post a proper picture of the build once I have it all together ;)

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing.  I'd recognise that frame anywhere.