NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Nov. 16, 2020, 2:20 p.m.

I've got a few years on various Pikes with no issues. Given my weight I can't really be critical they feel a bit flexy compared to a Lyrik.

Nov. 17, 2020, 6:13 p.m.

I'd probably also consider the offerings from MRP and Cane Creek, either coil or air.  Travel is adjustable internally on those with no need for additional air shafts so easy to play around and find what works.  I've been running an MRP Ribbon coil for some time now and am generally happy with the performance it offers, especially now that I changed to the lighter spring.

Nov. 19, 2020, 4:59 a.m.

Posted by: heathen

I had a pike it was meh. So I now have a DVO Onyx 160 on my Gnartail and its amazing. Super stiff and plush

I'm currently looking for a 180mm 29er fork, and stumbled upon a second hand DVO Onyx SC. I chatted to the seller and he said it's definitely superior to a Fox 36, and also more preferable to the Mezzer due to the DVO being more supportive of a set-and-forget mentality. He was especially enthusiastic about the OTT feature, and the chassis stiffness.And it can be internally adjusted (without considerable cost) between 160 and 180. It's also available for 27.5 obviously.

In the end he praised it so much that he decided to keep it himself after all. Good for him, bad for me :)

Last edited by: reini-wagner on Nov. 19, 2020, 5 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 19, 2020, 6:52 a.m.

Posted by: reini-wagner

I had a pike it was meh. So I now have a DVO Onyx 160 on my Gnartail and its amazing. Super stiff and plush

I'm currently looking for a 180mm 29er fork, and stumbled upon a second hand DVO Onyx SC. I chatted to the seller and he said it's definitely superior to a Fox 36, and also more preferable to the Mezzer due to the DVO being more supportive of a set-and-forget mentality. He was especially enthusiastic about the OTT feature, and the chassis stiffness.And it can be internally adjusted (without considerable cost) between 160 and 180. It's also available for 27.5 obviously.

In the end he praised it so much that he decided to keep it himself after all. Good for him, bad for me :)

The Onyx is truly a deadly fork. My only beef is the green ano. But that is a simple fix with home ano kits.

Nov. 19, 2020, 12:02 p.m.

Posted by: michel77

I'd probably also consider the offerings from MRP and Cane Creek, either coil or air.  Travel is adjustable internally on those with no need for additional air shafts so easy to play around and find what works.  I've been running an MRP Ribbon coil for some time now and am generally happy with the performance it offers, especially now that I changed to the lighter spring.

I've considered the Canecreek Helm air MKII for the possibility to change travel since my frame will take from 140 to 160. Nice to experiment without buying a new air shaft. But I'm more a "set and forget" rider when it comes to suspension in general and at the end, price was the main deciding factor.

Nov. 19, 2020, 6:07 p.m.

The Onyx is truly a deadly fork. My only beef is the green ano. But that is a simple fix with home ano kits.

Congrats on the new fork.

What is this about a "home ano kit?"

I loath the green ano bits on my dvo

Nov. 20, 2020, 7:28 a.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

There is lots of info on YouTube too. I have not done mine yet as I am in the middle of hardtail wet season. But I will probably park the bike for a week and do it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Anodize-Aluminum

Nov. 20, 2020, 5:40 p.m.

Posted by: RAHrider

There is lots of info on YouTube too. I have not done mine yet as I am in the middle of hardtail wet season. But I will probably park the bike for a week and do it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Anodize-Aluminum

Hmmmm, I don't even know where I would find the power cables and I'm not sure i would trust myself not to electrocute myself. Can I throw my green bits in with yours? What colour are you going? I could pay you with beer for the trouble?

Nov. 21, 2020, 8:43 a.m.

I will go black. But I am on the island. You might be better off reaching out to http://www.altechanodizing.com/

If i go purple I will get them to do it. They do the Ano for Black Spire and many other bike companies.

Last edited by: heathen on Nov. 21, 2020, 8:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 21, 2020, 9:32 a.m.

Looks like they charge $100 batch charge for small jobs. If you find a few other DVO owners it would cut your costs down

Nov. 21, 2020, 5:13 p.m.

Pmed you

Last edited by: heathen on Nov. 21, 2020, 5:15 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 25, 2020, 1:39 p.m.

So, I feeling stir crazy and thinking of all new instead of swap over for my Wideangle frameset.

Sapphire seems a good fit, right length, supposed to be stiffer than Fox 34, suppose I could shorten the Diamond(?) if I had to.

I don't do air.

Yes/no?

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 25, 2020, 1:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 25, 2020, 4:23 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

So, I feeling stir crazy and thinking of all new instead of swap over for my Wideangle frameset.

Sapphire seems a good fit, right length, supposed to be stiffer than Fox 34, suppose I could shorten the Diamond(?) if I had to.

I don't do air.

Yes/no?

Yes by. Even if its stiffer then a 34 it would still be too flexy imo. I find the Pike flexy. DVO air feels nothing like a regular air for due to the OTT coil negative spring. Have you ridden a Dimond or Onyx?

Nov. 25, 2020, 7:41 p.m.

Sorry, I meant I don't "air it out" if that's any clearer. I keeps the tyres in the dirt and have never ridden the Pike on my f/s hard enough to even know what flex feels like.

Maybe I had flex experience with my...

Mag 20

these were sweet....

Manatoo from same era w/rubber sponges for springs

and of course the venerable

and two pikes, a 454 and rct3

Yeah so maybe if I rode Pike vs Lyrik back to back I would notice?

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 25, 2020, 7:45 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 26, 2020, 8:42 a.m.

I’m similar in that I basically keep my wheels on the ground, my standard for “flexy” is based on some pretty ancient forks and I don’t notice my forks being flexy. 

I haven’t noticed modern forks being flexy but every time I’ve moved to a stiffer fork (32 to Revelation to 34 to Pike) I’ve noticed a significant improvement in steering precision, which has made clear how many subconscious steering corrections you’re making when pushing a more flexible fork.  You can also ride the front end more with a stiffer fork, which works really nicely with long reach bikes with slack head angles. 

If the weight is similar, I recommend the stiffer option even if you don’t feel your fork has a flex problem.