NSMB - 2020 - Hardtail Thread

Feb. 15, 2020, 7:55 p.m.

Halfway into February and no hardtail thread yet? Blasphemy!

I'll kick it off then, still on the old Chromag Surface, no boost or other nonsense, clean and simple :)  It had a bit of a makeover since 2019 marked the year I finally got a full suspension in the form of a Transition Smuggler and I initially used most of my Chromag parts.  Slowly built this back up over the winter, somewhat of a buy/sell budget build but came out pretty well and stoked to have it back together!

I went a little lighter on the build since this will now mostly be used for longer, mellower training rides.  Changed the Fox36 - 150mm up front to a MRP Ribbon Air set to 130mm for now.  Probably going with some lighter, faster tires for spring and summer as well, it'll be more of a XC rig for now albeit a capable one.  Might even try some bikepacking?!

Hope we get this thread rolling again, always fun to see the hardtails out there!

Cheers!

Feb. 15, 2020, 7:59 p.m.

Not sure why I can never get pictures to work on this forum.. Edit: looks like they show up now..

Last edited by: michel77 on Feb. 15, 2020, 8 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 15, 2020, 8:04 p.m.

Looks fun!

Feb. 15, 2020, 9:22 p.m.

I did the opposite of you with my hardtail michel:

• 2012 Kona Steely built with old DH and Enduro parts.
  • Old coil-sprung boxxer cut to 135mm + a newer Charger damper.
  • Mavic EX521 rims laced to Hope Pro 2s
  • Shimano 1x10 with Zee shifter/derailleur
  • Saint Cranks
  • Specialized Hillbilly DH tires that are brutal for climbing but great for descending
  • Currently running Code brakes with 1 Elixer lever, but will be putting TRPs DH brake on soon

Feb. 16, 2020, 6:58 a.m.

2019 was the year of the hardtail for me. I've ridden lots of rigid bikes and HTs in the past, but the modern geo HT is a revelation. So capable and so much fun. I was thinking I'd use it more for bikepacking and longer gravel rides, but it gets grabbed for lots of tech riding and gives up a lot less to my FS bikes than expected. Sure when the smashing chunk and speed gets maxed the HT starts to falter vs. the FS bike, but that leaves a lot of potential riding for the HT.

And all that ^^^ is with 29 x 2.6" Rekons which I think of as my "touring" tires. Next winter I'll put on some real knobbies and I'm keen to see what I can do with this bike and way more traction. For now I'm using it a lot to ride from home to the trails and back. Racking up a 50km loop with my normal shred in the middle. So the Rekons are pretty sweet for that. Maxxis has a 29 x 2.8" Rekon+ tire just coming out I'm excited to try for a bit more cushion.

I'm glad I ordered a custom bike from Peter at Daambuilt. It turned out even better than expected. :)

https://www.daambuilt.com/

https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/20/daambuilt-mega-krampus-bike-review-part-1/

https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.com/2019/09/03/daambuilt-mega-krampus-bike-review-part-2/

Feb. 16, 2020, 8 a.m.

Posted by: michel77

Not sure why I can never get pictures to work on this forum.. Edit: looks like they show up now..

Looks great. I had my eye on a Chromag for a while. Sweet rides. :)

Feb. 16, 2020, 10:34 a.m.

This is my year for a HT. I’m cooking up something that I’m pretty excited about!

I’m finally doing it - just a matter of whether Plan A happens or B or C. 

I can’t wait!

Feb. 16, 2020, 2:09 p.m.

How tall are you? I'll sell you a complete Wideangle real cheap.

Feb. 16, 2020, 2:12 p.m.

The Norco is new for 2020, first time riding big wheels.

The Kona got a new axle for 2020 so I can now pull a Bob trailer.

Feb. 16, 2020, 3:18 p.m.

Posted by: Cheez1ts

I did the opposite of you with my hardtail michel:

• 2012 Kona Steely built with old DH and Enduro parts.
  • Old coil-sprung boxxer cut to 135mm + a newer Charger damper.
  • Mavic EX521 rims laced to Hope Pro 2s
  • Shimano 1x10 with Zee shifter/derailleur
  • Saint Cranks
  • Specialized Hillbilly DH tires that are brutal for climbing but great for descending
  • Currently running Code brakes with 1 Elixer lever, but will be putting TRPs DH brake on soon

That's sweet!  Thing looks ready to party and I bet that turns some heads :)

Feb. 16, 2020, 3:24 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

2019 was the year of the hardtail for me. I've ridden lots of rigid bikes and HTs in the past, but the modern geo HT is a revelation. So capable and so much fun. I was thinking I'd use it more for bikepacking and longer gravel rides, but it gets grabbed for lots of tech riding and gives up a lot less to my FS bikes than expected. Sure when the smashing chunk and speed gets maxed the HT starts to falter vs. the FS bike, but that leaves a lot of potential riding for the HT.

And all that ^^^ is with 29 x 2.6" Rekons which I think of as my "touring" tires. Next winter I'll put on some real knobbies and I'm keen to see what I can do with this bike and way more traction. For now I'm using it a lot to ride from home to the trails and back. Racking up a 50km loop with my normal shred in the middle. So the Rekons are pretty sweet for that. Maxxis has a 29 x 2.8" Rekon+ tire just coming out I'm excited to try for a bit more cushion

I'm glad I ordered a custom bike from Peter at Daambuilt. It turned out even better than expected. :)

https://www.daambuilt.com/

https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/20/daambuilt-mega-krampus-bike-review-part-1/

https://vikapprovedblog.wordpress.com/2019/09/03/daambuilt-mega-krampus-bike-review-part-2/

Thanks for posting some more pictures of that bike, Vik, great looking utilitarian setup!  I toyed with the idea of selling my Chromag for a while thinking maybe I'd like to get something more geared towards longer XC rides, gravel, bikepacking, etc.  Then I read the feature on Skyler's Daambuilt on bikepacking and that was a bit of an eye-opener.  I mean I always knew you can ride whatever bike on whatever trail, but the hardtail (with some tweaks) started making more sense again with the added benefit that I can now keep using it on the local trails :)

Feb. 16, 2020, 3:26 p.m.

Posted by: FraserU

The Norco is new for 2020, first time riding big wheels.

The Kona got a new axle for 2020 so I can now pull a Bob trailer.

That thing is a sled, man. Nice!  Nice profile pic as well, I do a lot of drydocks for work, always impressive to see the ships out of the water.

Feb. 17, 2020, 5:03 a.m.

It’s been year of the hardtail again for me. I’ve been loving singlespeed with a little fitness, and cushcore has perfected the ride quality.

Feb. 17, 2020, 5:05 a.m.

It’s been year of the hardtail for me. Singlespeed has been great again, and cushcore has perfected the BTR’s ride quality.

Feb. 17, 2020, 5:06 a.m.

It’s been year of the hardtail for me. Singlespeed has been great again, and cushcore has perfected the BTR’s ride quality.